Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^Plant's current band is fantastic. What he does w/ the Zep tunes is too (though I heard grumblings from a minority of the audience).

He made the right decision not to do the full Zep reunion tour

I need a stew - all of it mixed together.

Here is a stew :

2. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2012
    The East Coast
    Jimmy Page is one of the few classic rock era guitar players who had developed concurrently what has become a legacy of greatness on both electric guitar AND acoustic guitar. I'm not sure what is more notable in terms of impact on the instrument and the players who came after- his electric legacy or his acoustic legacy.

In any event, I can't think of another classic rock guitarist that comes close in terms of that duality.

Mark Knopfler is edging closer with his long-established electric playing, and his continuing but relatively recent acoustic playing legacy that he's developing, but right from the get-go, Page did significant electric AND acoustic things early in his career with Led Zeppelin, and on every album.

Clapton has some nice acoustic work, but it's nowhere near as inventive as Page, and came much later in his career.

I'm certainly no Page or Zeppelin fanboy, but I think Page's duality and inventiveness on both the electric and acoustic side holds no equal, as far as I can tell.

Lastly, let's put it this way: If Page had only done electric or only acoustic, either one by themselves would IMO be legacy-making just by the mid-1970s alone with Zeppelin. Page has two significant legacies, at least: One as an electric guitar player, and one as an acoustic guitar player.

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I saw them in Seattle, July 1973. They had just released Houses of the Holy. They were incredible live.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Page's legacy : the riffs/the songs

Non-musician's know those tunes.

Your aunt Linda knows those those tunes fer chrissakes.

That's what gets remembered.

Page has more of them than almost anyone.

There are bands that would have liked to have one or two of the hooks off of some Zep tunes that contain 5 or 6.

His legacy among guitar players ? Revered for 50% of the time/slagged for being sloppy the other 50% ?

I don't know or care.

Colo Springs E likes this.

5. SubDoc

SubDoc Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Washington state
    I have been a drummer for 40+ years and have taken up the guitar in my dotage. I can't see how you can really say Page/Bonham and Jones were somehow inferior musicians on any objective basis.

The first two LZ albums were a revelation when they came out. I believe they set the table for what became known as heavy metal. LZ3 and forward I have to pick and choose cuts as there are many songs that I don't care for.

I would happily settle for their level of musicianship on any instrument.

As they drifted away from the power blues, I enjoyed them less and less. Inevitably, I think victims of their own success experimenting with all of the odd stuff because they knew, like the Beatles, they could. If they farted on vinyl it would sell.

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    They have some ok riffs, but the vocals kill it for me. I'd rather listen to sabbath.

7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    I love I, II and IV. Outside of those three Led Zep albums, I can only take bits and pieces of their body of work.

Folks complain about the vocals because Plant was trying to be Steve Marriott - a challenge no human being was ever going to live up to. I understand the other critiques, but Led Zep's musicianship was pretty good. Goofy lyrics...sometimes. In the big picture scheme of things, they are a great band that still stands out to this day.

They are far from my favorite band, but I am the first to acknowledge the importance of their contribution to rock and roll.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.