Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I agree, the lyrics can be very lame. But the sheer inventiveness of the riffs, and the raw power they could display were simply awesome. Plant can be shrill sometimes, as noted, but other times he's perfect for that material. And let's be real: rock n roll is not about precision and virtuosity. If those things are there, fine, but they aren't necessary for a great rock song.

RLee77 likes this.

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    This is my favorite non-Zep recording Plant has done. If you can listen in high-fidelity, it's really a superb vocal performance. OTOH, the guitar "solo" sucks wind, turn it down when the solo starts. (Easy for me to say it sucks, right? How intimidated would I be, trying to fill Page's shoes?)

3. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    I should like them - great riffs and rock attitude. But I just don't.

Maybe it's all the hobbits and Viking stuff - it's all just a bit silly.

To be honest, if there was a bustle in my hedgerow I wouldn't be alarmed at all. I'd assume it was a hedgehog.

However if someone pointed out it was not a hedgehog but actually a spring clean for the May Queen - evil Mabb, stealer of souls and Wiccan black artist - I'd be alarmed as ****.

So not only bad lyrics, but inappropriate and counterproductive advice about hedgerow noises.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Everyone has a place, Page didn't have time to be the guitar guy once Zeppelin was going full steam. He ran the operation and it was a big operation at that, same could be said of a guy like Frank Zappa, both of whom also took risks while improvising and if there's a little slop I'll take that all day...the risk is worth it.

5. Syd Lennon

Syd Lennon TDPRI Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Zeppelin started going down a strange path musically near the end, and I always wonder what would have happened if Bonham didn't die so suddenly. Departing from the straightforward overdrive blues riff music, shifting into a style that was all over the place, from jazz to flamenco to classical to psychedelic. The sound never seemed that sure of itself, sort the way the 80's sounded. Maybe they would have discovered a new niche eventually that was cool. I really can't stand the later albums though.
    The critique of Plant is pretty funny. His voice is necessarily shrill, so it can cut through a mix of cranked amps and overwhelming drums. He can sound like a sociopathic menopausal woman from time to time, but that's the whole point; it's the reason they're so popular. He can take command over a song that most trained voices would get lost in. It takes the music to a level of intimidation that can scare people into liking them for decades, before they start realizing Plant is like a loud and annoying wife or mother that has them so whipped.
    I love what they did and will always listen, but the overbearing screamy mother sound starts to annoy the hell out of me if I listen too much. I inevitably come crawling back though, because I'm not ashamed to admit to myself when I'm whipped.

6. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk
    You Guys are so Good at Over analyzing Stuff Zep Rocked the Casbah nuff said

songtalk and RLee77 like this.

7. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    I am about the same as far as virtually all music other than county and rap/hip hop. I don't care for screamo or death metal but I do like some shred and Metallica/Megadeth type stuff. I love Jazz fusion, blues and Classic rock and thats what I listen to the most. Im a shredder but really don't like to listen to it or play it much anymore. The 90's was the last decent music to come out. I have my phases. Today I listened to Steely Dan Aja on my way to work. Probably some AIC or Van Halen on my way home.

8. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What is and what should never be is the first one that comes to my mind. Just smooth rolling groove.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    There's a reason it got overplayed to the point of nauseum. I was a senior in high school, with my girlfriend (later to become my ex-wife!), we were making out in her big brother's cool Datsun 240Z. Stairway came on the radio, it was like some sort of cosmic aphrodisiac magic spell, like in the movies. I treasure that memory.

Jakeboy and RLee77 like this.

10. NardeeMacPennis

NardeeMacPennis Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2016
    Philly
    Truth is that most hacks here (myself included) would give up one of their nuts to have half the career, money, talent and women that ZEP had.

Jakeboy likes this.

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I wouldn't argue that he made a big contribution. But I was responding to the comment that he "made" Led Zeppelin. Big difference.

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    No wonder Plant didn't want to go on tour. When they opened with Good Times Bad Times live at the O2 and had to tune down to D so he could sing it you knew this was an old farts convention and thought it sounded goofy. I grew up with them from their first bootleg album that a friend brought back from London before LZ 1 and never liked much past their third. As a lot of guys here said it just got weird.. I agree that JPJ was an unsung hero and probably contributed more that we will ever know. I read in an interview that he created the riff to Good Times Bad Times and it was one of the hardest songs he played bass on.

13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    So often in threads like this, regardless of the band or artist being discussed, I see people confusing their own personal like or dislike, with an artist's or band's intrinsic value, talent, or ability to produce excellent songs or albums. The fact that *you* don't like, for example, any albums after the first, is not a statement on the band, it just means their appeal to *you* stopped after the first album. Saying things like, "they went completely downhill after the third album" is just wrong -- what you should really be stating is, "I stopped liking them after the third album". (And many posters have.)
    Page was an innovator, pushing the limits of the genre and always experimenting, and it obviously pushed some outside of their comfort zone. No issues with that, but don't loftily presume that when a band falls out of favor with you, that they now suck, lol.
    I find Page's genius (and the others) present on every album, even if I don't love every song, but then I loved his unpredictability.

t guitar floyd and kelnet like this.

14. Alpino_321

Alpino_321 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2007
    Aviano, Italy
    Jones' bass was the swinging balls of the band, not everything but crucial to their sound. Listen to "Skótoseme" by Diamanda Galas (preferably the studio version, cranked up) which he wrote, produced, and played on, then compare it to anything Page or Plant have done on their own.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I have no doubt it's good. I have heard some of the stuff he did with her. But again, he didn't "make" Zeppelin.

Funny thing about Diamanda Galas - I actually talked to her on the phone once, in the early 80's. Me and
    My friends were really into "Litanies of Satan", and we knew she lived in San Diego, so we called directory assistance, got her number and left her a message on her answering machine and she called us back. We all took turns talking to her.

Alpino_321 likes this.

16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    so very true. but that doesn't mean i have to listen to them.

17. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    All that really matters is how someone's music appeals to you. My opinion matters not at all as far as any other listener is concerned.

The same goes for me. I'm not going to say this or that guy is a musical genius, a great innovator, very technically sound, but I just can't stand to listen to him. No, If I can't stand to listen to him; he sucks.

18. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    I'm still enjoying Zeppelin. I rediscovered them when I was doing block release at what used to be Manchester Polytechnic. I picked up most of LZ'z stuff in discount CD shops. This was back in about 1989, so they were the first transfers from second- or third-generation 'master' tapes - far less treble than on Page's re-masters, and no annoying shrillness!

19. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    Well to this day i still get goose bumps when the drums finally kick in on Stairway. Yeah i'm still awed by their music

po-boy likes this.

20. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2007
    dees, alabama
    saw Robert Plant live earlier this year and it was awesome - he opened the show

with Dancing Days and for a few minutes we were transported back to the '70s -

the rest of the show was a mix of his newer songs and a few Led Zep classics - he

doesn't have the same vocal range he used to have, but it was still a powerful show

- never got to see the original version of Zep but i have seen Page and Plant together

once and Plant solo twice and all were great shows - whenever i hear the term 'Classic

Rock' i think of Led Zepplin - sounds like a good time to reconsider Led Zepelin and

crank up the stereo with Led Zep I, II, III, IV and Physical Grafitti -

t guitar floyd likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.