Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

It's downright hilarious.

2. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Didn't Page play guitar on Donovan's "Season of the Witch" ?

3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    You guys ever transcribe any of those "sloppy" solos, or the rest of the tunes for that matter? As a guitarist, you can sit around all day and refine your technique until it's smooth as butter...that's the easy part. But, composing/improvising incredibly melodic (though sometimes simple) lines which are well syncopated while deeply in the pocket that actually take a tune somewhere? Most of Page's bigger solos are pretty fat in terms of their compositional qualities. Even some of the best cats couldn't really touch Jimmy Page in that department, he could hear and he hit the changes unlike 90% of rock "lead" guitar players, I'll take all of his flaws any day over the "smoother" player who doesn't hit the F on a stairway solo when it goes to....the F chord, lol, because so many players are so stuck in the box and don't use their ears. Beyond that, having honed in artistic drive/direction is something so few heavy players are gifted with which is also something Page forgot more about than most will ever learn. He wasn't just some guitar dude, he was a seriously eclectic fella who was a fan of everyone from Stockhausen, to Penderecki, and beyond.

I consider Robert Plant, along with Jim Morrison, Billy Gibbons, and a few others to be some of the few, ahem, caucasian males who could sing the blues by...you know, singing! As opposed that that faux BB King sounding tripe so many others try to pull off Plant actually took HIS voice to another level. In fact, their entire Blues repertoire was sonically a cut above considering the era.

The worst part about Led Zeppelin is that it's a damn shame so many bands that followed thought stadium rock riffs, noodly leads, and high pitched vocals was all you needed to be a good rock band. Thus, the 80's bringing about a wave of bands with zero depth or compositional abilities who couldn't hold a candle to their predecessors.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

4. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I would love to be a good enough guitar player to feel comfortable calling Page sloppy.

t guitar floyd, RLee77, MickM and 2 others like this.

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I gotta jump in here. These threads are like the endless dance of the fox and rooster. What is it that possesses people to drop a stink bomb into a crowded room, then stand back and laugh while everyone yells P-U! We see it all the time, right? Clapton is boring, SRV is a cliche, Hendrix is sloppy, etc., now, Plant has a bad voice. Something about the most beloved, successful and talented musicians, the one-in a million best of the best, makes some people feel a need to say, "yeah, they suck." And, every time, people take the bait and start squawking and clucking. I guess I can't resist either.

How 'bout that Dylan guy, he can't even sing, I don't get it. :eek:

t guitar floyd and MickM like this.

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I listen to so much music that I do inevitably have moments where I think, "I used to listen to THAT?! How could I have liked that crap?" and then I go dig out the album or whatever and 20 minutes later "Oh YEAH! That's what I liked about 'em!"

This thread is making me want to dig out my Zep.

7. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Burnt you can come by Baltimore and we will live it up past 8:30 and split a case of Ensure !!!

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I assure you I have not stood back and laughed. I have participated. This sub-forum is a place to discuss music. I just posted my latest impressions about music I have listened to for 5 decades. I have a different perspective. I was wondering if anyone else had similar opinions. That is all. There was no ulterior motive to "drop a stink bomb".
    About two years ago I made it a mission to learn more of their music on guitar. I really enjoyed it. Maybe it burned me out. However, the more I learned and played the more I got annoyed by what I considered to be woefully bad lyrics.
    I have actually never thought much of Plant's voice but it served the music well up to a point IMO. I would even disagree that he had a good voice for the blues.
    Yes, my view is counter to a lot of folks and that is okay. It's the kind of discussions fans have all the time.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Easy partner, I didn't mean to burn your frijoles, I'm just participating too. Please forgive my unnecessarily provocative stink bomb metaphor, I was just shootin' from the hip.

10. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Good. I would never discourage anyone from depriving themselves of music they enjoy. That's what it's all about. Actually, this has made me want to play "Since I've Been loving you" and "Ten years gone". I created some pretty decent backing track for them a few years ago and they are fun to play.

SolidSteak likes this.

11. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    It's all good.

Blue Bill likes this.

12. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    For me, guitar based music has to be interesting. Fast is OK, slow is OK, but it has to hold my attention. Dickey Betts was not a shredder, but he held my attention. Page always held my attention. Interesting guitar music.

13. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    I didn't really like the first two albums much and when Plant did that album with Alison Krauss I thought is this some kinda joke? I have the album and I listened to it (painfully) once.

14. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    So you like Country music now and I get that but the older I get the more heavy I like my music because I need all the motivation I can get lol.

15. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Where did I say I like Country music? LOL.. For the most part I find most country music intolerable. I will admit to admiring Paisely, Vince Gill and other's guitar playing but there is only so much "Im' going to get in my pick-up with purrtee gal and drink and dance at local honky tonk" I can take.

16. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    I have many friends that used to be hard rockers that turned to country music when they got older and I think its sad. I like a select few like some old Johnny Cash and Hoyt Axton and I do like Country rock like The Eagle and Firefall but as you I find most country music intolerable but my wife loves country music and always has:( I do listen to a lot of Soft rock like Fleetwood Mac and Heart but when I gig I like it heavy or I get bored and tired. I have always tended to play at the opposite end of the spectrum of what I listen to.

17. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    Listen to Waylon Jennings Honky Tonk Heroes from 1973 to hear some outlaw country. Not Luke Bryan or Florida Georgia Line. For country telecaster shred guitar, listen to Shrapnel recording artist Johnny Hiland. Wow.

18. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I like virtually every form of music other than country and hip-hop. I don't care much for shred, death metal and the like. I am a classic rock and blues fan. The last time I really listened to "contemporary" music was in the 90's with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, etc but I would hard pressed to say I still listen to it. I really couldn't tell you which bands play guitar based rock any more.

19. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

The first time I heard that Page was originally a studio cat before Zep, my brain said ' does not compute'. Studio players MUST be able to play repeated versions of the same licks, flawlessly. When I listen to live tapes of Zep, his playing is PERFECT for the music, but IMHO, sloppy, full of inconsistencies, and even, at times, lacking cotrol over dynamics.

That said, he PERFECTLY complimented Bonzo's loose drumming, and Plant's idiosyncratic vocals. As a whole, the big mess of sound JUST WORKED!

20. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    In it might get loud page states he was excited by the transition from studio to rock because he could speed up and slow down, among other things

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.