Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Driving in my car the other day, listening to a Led Zeppelin mix, and I had to turn it off. Robert Plant’s voice was too shrill for me and his lyrics meaningless and bordering on nonsensical.
    I still think of Zeppelin as being one of the greatest riff based rock groups of all time but my enjoyment of their music has declined. Part of that is due to Plant’s abilities as a lyricist and part due to his voice which suited some of their music well but was never really a great voice.
    I know Pete Townshend was criticized for his scathing critique of their music. Many called him jealous. However, Townshend doesn’t have to apologize to anyone. He was both a great composer and lyricist. His artistry is simply amazing. I can see why Townshend made his comments. I am willing to bet he is not alone. Of course, Keith Richard also trashed Zeppelin but, then again, he trashes everyone. I will obviously continue to listen to Zeppelin but their playlist will be pared down. There are too many classic songs that I really love like "Since I've been Loving You", "Ten years Gone" and a slew of real rockers.
    FWIW, I am in my sixties and my first recollection of Zeppelin is “Whole Lotta Love” and “Living Loving Maid”. Funny how your tastes change as you grow older.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah. I'm guessing they probably did not record those songs with the demographic tastes of people in their 60s in mind

3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, you were probably driving along at 38 mph in the fast lane of a major highway at rush hour heading to the discount senior buffet at Golden Corral contemplating all this.
    ;-)

4. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

His voice on the first two records is amazing. It is well documented that he began to have trouble with it 1972-ish. His writing...uh, yeah, not so good but, hey, whatever. Still a great band.

5. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2011
    New Jersey

6. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Shrill vocals, plodding drums, meandering basslines, sloppy guitar.

I still love LZ but sometimes I think they're terrible.

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    FWIW I think many times when Keith Richards appears to be "slagging off" some other famous musician he's really just having fun with the media by giving them some drama to write about like "Ooh! Oooh! You'll never guess what Keef said!" Pete Townsend's probably the same too.

I still break out Physical Graffiti ever 2 years or so and listen to it for a week and "get the Led out." What can I say, I just can't quit you baby.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

I'm the biggest Who fan in the world and yes - Pete can say what he wants- but he repeated himself many many times.

Zeppelin's enduring popularity is down to one MAJOR thing : Page's riffs.

That's why 11,000 cover bands across America all have their version of the "Zep Riff Medley". And they can easily be 10 minutes long.

Whole lotta licks.

Oh wait - gotta go. There's a mob at the door. The "Jimmy Page stole everything !!" mob.

Yep - that train's never late...

9. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Trashing Zeppelin? Who's next, Redd Volkaert? Is nothing sacred anymore?

10. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I'd rather listen to recent Plant stuff, but I cringe when he does one of the old ones that bring in Gollum.

D.H.

MilwMark likes this.

11. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I agree. Page is one of the all time riff monsters of all times. That is my main draw to them. I was too late to the party when they were still together, and didn't get into them until in the service my roommate was a Led-Head. I'll be truthful,but Pages extra curricular activities in the occult really freak me out!

12. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

I came of age in the 70s and remember getting Zep's Houses of the Holy for xmas the year it came out. I've been a huge fan ever since. Have all their LPs and CDs, DVDs etc...love Page's guitar skills and composition albeit he's a sloppy player if you listen to their live stuff carefully. But as I got older and discovered other genres and expanded my musical knowledge I got into blues, jazz, prog etc...Zep became just another band in my collection. I like some Plant solo stuff like Fate of Nations and Band of Joy. But agree with you, his voice is hard to take after a while. But at least he's no Geddy Lee. :)

13. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    There are a good number of us here that were heavily influenced musically from 1965-75. It shaped us and made us who we are musically today. There was a time when I thought the Monkeys were the greatest band and gift to music that could ever happen. I have somewhat grown.

In fifty years there will be a bunch on a forum lamenting the decline of Justin Bieber and picking apart the Britney Spears comeback. "sold out" they will say.

Zeppelin? I think of a girl named Sharon and a 62 Rambler my last week of high school. I doubt I can ever turn on them.

Rich724, drlucky, MickM and 2 others like this.

14. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Keith find Bonham to hard. Nothing strange with that if you lissen to stones and charlies playing for the last 50 years. I use to think charlie was the week link in that band (and that they probably would have invented hard rock with another drummer). Now I think that Charlie defined stones. More so than Mick and Kieth.
    I am a huge fan of stones....

pondcaster and JustABluesGuy like this.

15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I do not concur with the opinion expressed here, nor do I intend any offense toward the OP, but...

:lol::lol::lol:

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I was a fan till I saw The Song Remains The Same.
    I was astounded by the slop.
    Geez.
    The shriek-ey vocals (live), the out of tune guitars, and the plodding drums grew tiring.
    I couldn't fault Jonesey, but the rest of the band, whew!
    Bone headed lyrics, too.

tlsmack and Stellacaster like this.

17. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    LOL. Exactly. I always choose something soft from the menu so I can gum my food.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

18. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Their many many moments of magic far exceed the easily pointing out of technical flaws they may have had at times.

Steve 78, RLee77, Boodreaux and 4 others like this.

19. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville

LOL.. I've always thought Geddy Lee sounds like he was one of the voices of the Wizard of Oz munchkins. There are probably about 4 or 5 Rush songs that I can listen to or like somewhat.

20. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I never listen to their live stuff. It's not the technical flaws. It's Plant's voice, lyrics and some of their later stuff that is just cheesy. Like I said, one of the greatest riff based rock groups of all time. It's the riffs, hooks that made them awesome IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.