Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Recommendations for a 1x15 combo, or 1x15 solution

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by jahlljw, Oct 31, 2017.

1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Get yourself a used Fender Bandmaster Reverb. It's a silverface head unit. Pair it with a cab with a Weber 15' non-Alnico speaker and you're set.

Master volumes got a bad rep when companies added a master volume + bad circuit changes. Many master volumes can be 100% transparent with the MV turned up full (replace a resistor with the same value pot) but allow bedroom level practice.

Here's my Bandmaster Reverb with two 8" speakers added (I absolutely love it):
    [​IMG]

RoscoeElegante likes this.

2. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Ampeg Mercury 15 (later called an M-15). These were made in the late-50s through the late-60s. They lack reverb but have everything else you want. Kind of funky vintage and if you find one it will likely need a little fixing up, but these are fantastic amps. Won't break your back, plenty of volume to keep up with a band and you can jumper the channels to get more gain if you need it.

3. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Another for Delta Blues 115. EL84's, medium breakup, effects loop, very "airy" cleans, works well with front-end pedals.

But I concur with a few others here...the speaker size may not be the panacea. I've got a Tone King Falcon (10" 6V6), a Sky King (12" 6L6) and a Delta Blues (15" EL84), and each has the ability to do medium breakup with big sound. Lots of ways to get what you're going after...and it doesn't have to break the bank.

4. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Delta Blues is my favorite.

5. anacephalic

anacephalic Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2008
    omaha ne
    Victoria Regal II. The design allows one to swap different tube combinations from 1 6v6 on up to 2x 6550 in any combination and the 15 is the ticket. Cathode biased so plug and play. I find 1 6v6 and one 6l6 is pretty nice combination for all band uses. one 6v6 at home and you can about dime it without it getting out of control loud (that would be a pov thing of course). The amp is so open and resonant it can sound like the reverb is on when it isn't . Nice trem. Perfect straight in for blues or Americana. Put a zen drive in front of it and it will rock hard. fairly light and great leather handle. The only down side is they are not cheap. But worth every penny

A vintage Ampeg gemini is another cool option. Gonna be cleaner, heavier and a lot cheaper than a vicky.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Loving my 6G2-modded Excelsior. Vintage Jensen P15R. About $500 and a few hours tinkering.

RoscoeElegante likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.