Recommend top David Gilmour tracks, please

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DHart, Feb 18, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I've not been much of a Pink Floyd listener, nor listened to any of David Gilmour's other works, but having heard SO MANY people rave about his guitar playing, I think I should give a listen to some of his stuff to see what all the fuss is about.

So... if I were to listen to a half-dozen or so of his songs, which are best representative of his guitar playing, what would you recommend?

2. Jason99

Jason99 TDPRI Member

DHart likes this.
  3. ajm763

ajm763 TDPRI Member

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Money
    Time
    On the Turning Away
    Wish You Were Here
    Coming Back to Life
    Comfortably Numb
    Castellorizon

also check out gilmourish.com

Dismalhead, DHart and teleaddicted like this.
  4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

How could I miss several of those songs, of course, Money, Time, Wish You Were Hear, Comfortably Numb - I just don't remember any noteworthy guitar work in them, so I need to go back and refresh!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

OK... I'm refreshed on it now... atmospheric, dreamy, kind of downer, ample doses of reverb, compression. Thank you for the suggestions. Gilmour does an ok job of playing, but I didn't hear anything that inspired me.

PF's music feels a bit depressing, to me. But I know that they were exceptionally popular for a time and certainly were rewarded for it financially. Back in the day their style had some appeal, to some. Just not my style of music, I guess. These days, especially.

Andy B and Paul Jenkin like this.
  6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

His 1st solo album is excellent ..this instrumental off it is great

7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I'm glad you had a listen to DG's work but sad that it didn't inspire you. Obviously, music is highly subjective and it'd be boring if we all liked (or disliked) the same things. Prog isn't the happy-clappiest music out there but I love it....

Aside from his Pink Floyd work, if you're up for it, check out his solo work;

- David Gilmour
    - About Face
    - On an Island
    - Rattle That Lock

Not sure it'll change your mind but you never know.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

This is my take on Gilmour...David's a composer first, then a guitarist, singer, lyricist etc. So all his stuff has a structure to it which gives it a lasting quality. I like hearing it again.

My fav Floyd song...uplifting, which is a bit unusual. David must have wrote most of this.

I love his version of this Richard Thompson song.

9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Another side of David.

The camera work is a little annoying at times, but it's a great watch.

elihu and Greggorios like this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Go to 3:30 and be amazed. Starts off on acoustic and exploded into electric. Amazing what a small handful of notes can do with the right hands playing them.

24 track and t guitar floyd like this.
  11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Watch all of ‘Live at Pompeii’ - the original one.

12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

They sold over 250 million records, nobody buys 250 million records that are "downers".

I don't know if you're a troll or just have a tin ear. But Gilmour's style is not speed picking, its melodic and contains a lot of tremelo and finger bending. its unique and its difficult to copy, but can be done.

if your lookin for flash and endless scales, your going to be disappointed. Gilmour is a very good song writer, for instance "FAT OLD SUN"

Pink floyd's career spanned over 40 years, you dont get that being mediocre or a downer.

If you didn't hear anything that inspired you, perhaps the problem is not the music, but your ear.

suggest you try Echoes, Cymbaline, Fat Old Sun, to hear the evolution of his style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmour

obviously he has an ability to resonate with a tremendous number of people, musicians and nonmusicians. I can only hope to be the sort of failure you seem to think he is.

13. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

I'd say Wish You Were Here and Animals are probably the most guitar-heavy Pink Floyd albums. Lots of perfectly dialed in tones impeccably recorded.

If you're looking for more raw, straightforward rock playing, I'd suggest the albums Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Music From the Film "More", and Meddle.

Gilmour's first two solo albums are excellent as well.

His songwriting and composition skills are what sets him apart more than anything for me. That and his ability to use available technology, but still make it feel gritty and human. David is a journeyman player. He won't amaze you with his technique or physical ability. He's more about atmospheres...moods...phrases. A "right notes at the right time" kind of guy.

Pink Floyd isn't for everyone. Lots of folks are under the impression that their music is little more than self indulgent noodling for stoners to bug out to. It can certainly be that if you want it to be, but I prefer to think that listening with a willing ear and an extended attention span can do much to help someone appreciate them.

Listening on a good stereo system at a considerable volume also doesn't hurt.

FenderLover and duzie like this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

IMHO, spend some time with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Were Here. David is so intrinsically linked with PF I think it's hard to get a real sense of him without delving into PF first, then move onto to solo stuff as suggested above.

15. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Blimey.

Maybe he just has his own opinion, and it's different than yours?

I'm a Pink Floyd fan, especially Meddle, DSotM and Wish You Were here, but I'm not really into Gilmour's solo work.

Does that make me a troll or tin-eared? Or both? You decide, I don't care.

16. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

What styles of music do you find appealing? (If you don't mind my asking).

duzie likes this.
  17. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

A few of my favorites:
    From Pink Floyd:
    Comfortably Numb (live version from Delicate Sound Of Thunder album, NOT the video, because the video is edited, but on the album he stretches out on the ride out solo)
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Sorrow (again, the live version, with the reprise of the intro at the end)
    Dogs
    On The Turning Away (once again, the live version)
    Wish You Were Here itself (in case you want to hear what he does when he has just an acoustic guitar, no amps, no whammy bar, and no effects)
    Signs Of Life
    Marooned

From his solo records (I only have the first two):
    Mihalis
    There's No Way Out Of Here
    Until We Sleep
    (live version from Live At Hammersmith Odeon video)
    All Lovers Are Deranged
    Let's Get Metaphysical
    Murder (any version will do, but the ones from the "Guitar Greats" concert that MTV aired in 1984 and the Live At Hammersmith Odeon are the best)

From his extensive work as a session musician:
    Kate Bush: Love And Anger
    Bryan Ferry: Is Your Love Strong Enough
    Bryan Ferry: Slave To Love
    Paul McCartney: No More Lonely Nights
    Pete Townshend: Give Blood

He also played with Bryan Ferry at Live Aid. The first song of the set, the guitar synth rig Gilmour was using failed, just as his guitar solo started, and he had to swap guitars, mid song. But the rest of the set, as I recall featured some fine guitar work. I think they only did about 4 or 5 songs, but he soloed mightily on Slave To Love and Jealous Guy.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The Comfortably Numb solos will tell you really everything you need to know

Macrogats and magicfingers99 like this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Does there have to be a "problem" in your little world?

Well I guess if Gilmour's music is boring or feels a bit depressing to some people, or doesn't particularly appeal to someone for whatever reason, they're immediately classified as a "troll" or having a tin ear? :lol:

Get out of your small-mind and grow up @magicfingers99.

Perhaps someday you'll learn that music is an art form, of which there are almost endless styles, no one of which is going to be everyone's cup o' tea.

I find his music boring, plain and simple. OK? Do you think you'll survive knowing that? :rolleyes:

Peregrino69 likes this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

24 track, elihu and ElJay370 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.