Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Recommend Me Some DADGAD Songs

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by hekawi, Jun 3, 2010.

1. bafazane

bafazane TDPRI Member

tune that F# down to F and play devil got my woman by skip james.

2. TXAg14

TXAg14 Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2010
    Austin, TX
    That one's DGCGCD on the album, EADADE live. They're both beautiful tunings. For DADGAD, White Summer is a great one, as mentioned. It also spawned Over The Hills And Far Away, but that's in standard...

3. z8894

z8894 Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Alpharetta, Ga.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    You might enjoy Bert Jansch's "Jack Orion" CD. I think I remember reading that the whole album was done in DADGAD. His version of "Blackwaterside" was supposedly the inspiration for Page's "Black Mountain Side".

5. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area

6. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    DADGAD is a very common tuning in Irish music. I used it as my standard tuning for many years until I started getting back into rock.

For song accompaniment, you might check out Daithi Sproule's stuff, his solo albums "The Crow in the Sun" and "Heart Made of Glass" in particular. He's also recorded with the bands Altan and Trian, among others. Another great player is Zan MacLeod. He's appeared as a sideman on tons of recordings; his work on "The Ring Sessions" with James Kelly is fantastic.

Davy Graham is credited with inventing DADGAD, you should really check out his stuff. Pierre Bensusan also mostly uses DADGAD.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

7. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Bert Jansch's version of 'Reynardine' is an old fave of mine - there is a clip of him doing it on youtube but it doesnt hold a candle to the recording -

8. zatoichi

zatoichi Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2010
    Old South
    Nothing 'supposed' about it.

Page also lifted the whole of Davey Graham's brilliant arrangement of "She Moves Through The Fair", and called it "White Summer".

9. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

You mentioned in your original post you liked the Beatles.... I love playing Norwegian Wood in DADGAD. When I play it on my 1964 Gibson LG1 with the ladder bracing, my wife swears it sounds exactly like the recording.

Other favorites have been mentioned, Tree Top Flyer by Steven Stills is really fun and sounds much more difficult than it is.

If you like fingerstyle blues and Celtic type stuff, check out Al Pettaway. He has a book called "Celtic Blues and Beyond" that started me into DADGAD and I still play many of the tunes from there. In fact, She Moved Through The Fair is one of his arraingments in that book and a favorite warm up piece. I like to keep one of my acoustics in DADGAD all the time.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Look for two albums by Kevin Burke & Micheal O' Domhnaill, "Portland" and "Promenade" on Green Linnet Records. Micheal was one of the best Irish guitar players ever. I think he did everything in DADGAD. And Kevin Burke is an amazing fiddler, too. There's a VHS video of them from the Augusta Festival in Elkins, WV that will give you an idea of how they did it. It's a concert video rather then instruction.

11. DoktaSlide

DoktaSlide TDPRI Member

May 4, 2012
    Elburn, Illinois
    Like many others, I love playing Steve Stills' "Treetop Flyer" in DADGAD tuning. I do open-mic performances and needed a least two more songs to do on my 12-string to do a 3-song set. I have found that Stills' "4-20" which was done in DADDAD is very easy to do in DADGAD, just stay away from that 'G' string. Also, "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" can be done in DADGAD. I begin my set by noodling around with the Celtic sounds that just flow freely from the tuning - it's fun to see what comes from just playing around in this tuning. I'll end this with pointing out what I thought was an interesting discovery. The pattern with the 1st and 2nd strings in "4-20" is essentially identical to that used in the beginning of "Suite Judy Blue Eyes." Stills got at least two songs out of the same pattern - also, when one is playing around with these patterns, the sounds of Led Zeppelin's "Going To California" sometimes jump out and grab you - a fascinating tuning indeed.

12. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    Michael Hedges' Ragamuffin. :cool:

13. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA

14. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    LAURENCE JUBER!!

He is the god, IMO of DADGAD..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.