Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Recommend Me Some DADGAD Songs

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by hekawi, Jun 3, 2010.

1. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

a recent thread on Led Zep's "Kashmir" inspired me to take the plunge and tune one of my acoustics to DADGAD. what a cool song. i'm digging the sound of this tuning and i'm hoping you can suggest some numbers i can learn in DADGAD. i mostly play Beatles, classic rock & 70s singer songwriter stuff.

2. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

tune that G down a half step to F#...Then you have open D..Which is my favorite open tuning. Tons of stuff for open D out there, especially with a slide.
    DADF#AD

3. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Tune the F# to D and you get another cool D tuning.
    That is DADDAD. I use this with a lap steel.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

I might be wrong but I think I remember someone having a tab of how to play "The Rain Song" in DADGAD.

6. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Seems like Black Mountain Side from LZ's first album uses that tuning. Check out YouTube for Laurence Juber. He played guitar for Wings. He's a phenominal accoustic guitar player. He plays in that tuning quite a bit.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied

DAD-rock?

8. RobMcC

RobMcC TDPRI Member

As the other guy posted, White Summer/Black Mountain Side, Kashmir. both by led zeppelin btw.

9. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

DADDAD is a cool tuning. I keep one of my acoustics permanently tuned to DADDAD.

10. Dr.TeleD

Dr.TeleD Banned

Long Distance Love by Martin Simpson. Probably my favorite DADGAD song. And easy to play. I'm guessing that this link has the vid. Youtube is blocked at work. Looks like they are having an instructional DVD sale to boot. No affiliation BTW. Have fun.
    http://www.learnrootsmusic.com/html/MSDVD01_vid.html

11. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

DADGAD was developed by Davey Graham when he was transposing Middle Eastern music to the guitar. It became popular with with players like Bert Jansch and John Renbourn in the British folk boom in the sixties where it was picked up on by Jimmy Page.

If you search for tabs in DADGAD by these players it should bring up a lot of stuff you're probably familiar with.

12. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Rory Gallagher's version of "out on the western plain"

13. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Meister

treetop flier by Stephen Stills. Is a cool song in dadgad It's called Bensusan tuning.

14. Flamenco Kid

Flamenco Kid Tele-Meister

Just about (but not quite) everything that Pierre Bensusan does is in DADGAD.
    He's pretty amazing -- my fave Nice Feeling

fenderchamp says it's called "Bensusan tuning" -- I didn't know that; but I certainly canunderstand why it could be called that.

15. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't know that about Mr. Graham. Makes sense, but for some reason I thought the tuning was much older than that.

I love hearing Pierre Bensusan play, the man is a living legend, but I'm not sure how accessible his stuff is to someone first learning...

A few years ago I stumbled upon a Scottish singer named Karine Polwart who uses DADGAD most of the time, but capos up to suit her voice and the song. I posted a rough transcription to one of her songs earlier this Spring:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tab-tips-theory-technique/204252-maid-loch-you-i-sky-karine-polwart.html

If you've never heard Karine before, you're in for a treat! :) :) :)

16. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister

Beautiful. I just ordered two of her CDs.

17. Jonder

Jonder TDPRI Member

I think "Poles Apart" of the Pink Floyd's Division Bell has said tuning. i could be wrong its 3:45am, but i am 85.6% sure.

18. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the nice comment, glad you like her too! :grin:

I highly recommend her first two CD's with Malinky, "Last Leaves", and "3 Ravens". If you like Celtic music, I think you'll find that Malinky's current singer, Fiona Hunter, is quite nice too.

Unfortunately, those two CD's are out of print, but you can still sample a few tracks at the Malinky website.

http://www.malinky.com/music.asp

I'm a Martin Simpson fan as well. Here's a direct link to the Youtube clip you posted:

19. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister

Thank you for the recommendations. This thread actually motivated me, age 44, to tune my guitar to DADGAD for the first time. What an experience! Suddenly, lots of celtic sounding chords were coming out of my guitar ...

I downloaded a couple of the free tabs from the Karine Polwart website; they are very well done and not difficult to play.

20. Robin Nahum

Robin Nahum Friend of Leo's

Tony McManus does a lot of Celtic stuff in DADGAD and has put out DVDs on it. (He reports that they're selling by the truckload but unfortunately it's a very small truck.)

Beautiful playing and arranging but not for the fainthearted.

If you like Pierre's work, I'm sure Tony will knock your socks off.

We have the good fortune to see him down here every couple of years - and he is still playing small venues.

21. warmingtone

warmingtone Tele-Holic

I've been working on my "solo" stuff and doing a bit of research. I have always resisted open tunings, may got into them, but they can be tricky to 'improvise with' and of course you have to retune or carry extra guitars...however tunes like this and others in other tunings make you reconsider...

A fingerpicking very cool version of "New Kid In Town" well played and arranged in DADGAD...very much the kind of direction I'm working in these days on electric...am building a new guitar for the project, so have upgraded a few things to make open tunings a bit more approachable (I have a kahler trem...so, it can be tricky, though it does lock to fixed)...

Anyway, it is a versatile tuning, some use it exclusively over standard...but this tune shows that the tuning is not all for exotic sounds or celtic fixations...

Oh...if anyone can track down the TAB to this or works it out, much appreciate a copy!

He does a nice version of "I can't tell you why" with a bit of a backing, but again in DADGAD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.