Recommend Me A Good Fuzz Kit

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by ElJay370, Apr 18, 2019.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

Got an itch to build another pedal.

The one thing I don't have on my board at the moment is a good buzz box. The last one I built was the Mosrite Fuzzrite clone from General Guitar Gadgets. While it's one of the best sounding fuzzes I've ever heard, I was looking for something a bit more versatile with more tone shaping options....and more knobs (lol). I know there are tons of choices, what are your favorites?

Also, being kind of new to the pedal stomping game (Until recently I've never run more than two or three at a time...now I have a full board!) I've heard that there's a certain way that a fuzz needs to be placed in the chain in order to prevent damage to your other pedals. Is this true?

Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

I really like the Fulltone 69 clone I built on the GGG board. Fuzz Face flavor if that’s what your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!! I have NEVER heard of this. I wouldn't think it would be possible unless some component was completely mismatched.

4. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

upload_2019-4-18_21-18-43.jpeg

Urshurak776 likes this.
  5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

zippofan likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

That's one I want to try, but it'll be awhile lol, I have a whole bunch I'm itching to build in the queue, and I have all the parts!

Urshurak776 likes this.
  7. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes. If you build a PNP fuzz circuit that hasn’t been designed to have its circuit inverted, the ground will be positive and it will be electrically backwards to the rest of your pedals. That shouldn’t be a problem today and if it is, the kit will make you well aware of it and how to avoid problems.

8. mictester

mictester TDPRI Member

Some fuzz pedals use PNP transistors, so have an "upside-down" power supply requirement, which can lead to issues if you're trying to power them with other pedals from a common power supply. This is not a problem if you use battery power only for the Fuzz pedal or if you use a modified version of the basic circuit that has the same "polarity" as other pedals. Also, if you use modern silicon transistors, you can easily make your pedal the same polarity as the rest of your effects.

A fuzz - like the Fuzz Face - is best put first in the pedal chain for two reasons: firstly, the operation of the crude circuit of the Fuzz Face is affected by the guitar controls, but in a good way! You can get a whole range of sounds just by tweaking the controls on your guitar. The second reason is that the Fuzz Face gives a whole lot of harmonic distortion (that's exactly what it's meant to do) and this gives more for your wah pedal, phaser, chorus and flanger to get their collective teeth into - a mild phaser like a Phase 45 becomes a swirling monster when fed a fuzzed guitar signal!

If you want to build a really good Fuzz, I'd recommend a silicon Fuzz Face with bypass capacitors from base to collector of each transistor to get rid of the "fizziness". Done right, it will be indistinguishable from a 1968 vintage germanium job! It's also worth adding a switchable pre-amp stage before the Fuzz Face to turn it into a pseudo-Tonebender - an extra range of sounds for pennies. If anyone's interested, I'll put a "how-to" article in this thread. You can build a superb Fuzz for <£15 (including the hardware) and you'll get a pedal that some boutique types charge hundreds for!

Cheers

Mictester

zippofan and ElJay370 like this.
  9. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

Hard to beat the completeness of a kit from the FuzzDog website, and there's no better/deeper rabbithole of fuzz to clamber down than the Big Muff circuit.

Exhibit A: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Big_Muff_Pi_Fuzz/p847124_6674585.aspx

Plus, FuzzDog's kit has the option to add Jack Orman's brilliant AMZ Presence Control to add back those all-important mid-range frequencies that a Big Muff can otherwise be lacking.

ElJay370 likes this.
  10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

I built a bunch of two knob fuzzes last year to look like vintage matchboxes, including a General Guitar Gadgets Tonebender, Harmonic Percolator, and a 70's Maestro fuzz design, the latter two were FuzzDog boards. They all sound great with different fuzz "flavors'.
    For the GGG Tonebender, I used the NPN silicon schematic, and some old low gain transistors I had stashed away. I sorted the transistors by hFe the same as if they were germanium, nice sounding smooth fuzz.
    I wasn't much of a fuzz guy until I started building them. I do want to build some more, the Carsosa for sure.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  11. spunkster

spunkster TDPRI Member

I would love to see your how-to for building a Fuzz Face. The one I made was disappointing.

I really liked your Silicon Tonebender.

12. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.