Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Recommend me a BRAND of Small Allen Wrenches

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by micpoc, Dec 1, 2018.

1. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Most of the smaller ones that I actually use were pretty cheap to start with, and all their edges have worn down enough that making saddle adjustments and the like is problematic, so I'd like to get a decent set - down to a .05 - that will last for a good while (I am actually pretty good at holding onto them, oddly enough). Amazon as a source is preferred, but I'll certainly consider other dealers.

Also, is stainless steel the way to go, or is there something better for Allens?

Chicago Matt likes this.
  2. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    I have never found Allen wrenches that last too much, no matter how expensive they were. Nowadays, I'm happy with the cheapest I can find in the tool store near home, and just change them when needed.

Fuelish and micpoc like this.
  3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I need the same. Looking forward to some more replies.

micpoc likes this.
  4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    German-made WIHA #26491 Precision Hex-Ball set (hex metric sizes: 1.3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 & 3.0) available in USA.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Jim603 likes this.
  5. Tempus_Fugit

Tempus_Fugit TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2018
    SW Michigan
    Yes most of them are cheaply made.

But...you can grind a little bit off the ends to freshen them up.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I had a set of Eklind for years untill they were stolen, replaced w/ Crafstsman, which were Ok at the time but I probably wound't buy again, based on the recent reviews. Still have them, but they live in the car box. I have a set of small sizes from Dollar Tree of all places that I use for saddles & such, and a larger T handle set from Harbor Freight. If I was working on other peoples stuff for a living, I would be asking the same question you are.

micpoc likes this.
  7. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    Northwest CT
    Wera is another German company, I've been using there tools for years without a complaint

Piggy Stu, loco gringo and micpoc like this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    harbor freight.

DonM, bluesky1963 and micpoc like this.
  9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Cheap allen wrenches are horrible things. Good allen wrenches are relatively cheap. Look for Allen, Bondhus, Elkind, Wera, Wiha. Don't buy ball end wrenches, especially for adjusting trussrods.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    What does Ikea use?

Rusty Stauffer likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Just order them in bulk. You can probably get 20 sets for a few bucks on fleabay.
    I buy small drill bits like that and just throw them away when blunt and use a new one. It works out cheaper than buying expensive bits.

micpoc likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Any will do as along as they're hardened. The thing with using cheap ones is as the become rounded they also misshape your head.

I've got a bunch of sets from Park Tool from years of bike work. You can get then at any bike shop.

telemnemonics and micpoc like this.
  13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Just buy any of them and have a grinder handy..

micpoc and drf64 like this.
  14. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    micpoc likes this.
  15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've found the junk from Harbor Freight to be about as good as most. The trick is to take your digital caliperwith you or at least use it as soon as you get them home. :eek: Those youngsters who put them in the packages/holders rarely get them all correct, especially on the smaller sizes! :rolleyes: The grinder is certainly your friend here, in the long run! ;)

And thanks @mefgames for that review link and to all the mentions of brands I've not heard of before! I'm a card carrying "Tool Junkie" and really appreciate good items!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

micpoc likes this.
  16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    +1 on bondhus. It was the only wrench that would tighten a nut where I only had a few degrees of room to turn it, and the wrench didn't flex so I could actually tighten the screw.

micpoc and DugT like this.
  17. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Why is this?

micpoc likes this.
  18. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    micpoc likes this.
  19. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Ball end wrenches are used for running screws in and out after you've broken them loose with a conventional allen wrench. You don't use them on anything that requires any torque to speak of. The ball ends tend to snap off, and when they do snap off they often wedge in the screw. Ball ends have much less bearing surface than conventional allen wrenches, they cam out easily, also damaging the screw.

You don't want to use ball end wrenches on trussrod nuts. Partially because of the torque need to turn a trussrod screw, see above. Mostly because the broach in a Fender trussrod nut is shallow, and a ball end doesn't seat very deeply in the nut. It's very easy to damage the nut to the point that it's useless.

I know StewMac sells ball end trussrod wrenches. They're in the business of selling replacement hardware and specialty tools to replace hardware damaged by improper tool use. It's kind of ironic in a way.

telemnemonics, Tuxedo Poly and micpoc like this.
  20. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    telemnemonics and DugT like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.