Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Recommend a "fancy" wiring style for my new build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Sconnie, Aug 9, 2017.

1. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    A volume drop (just a tad clear from beeing a problem) with the series-oop I can only notice in one of my two 5-way equiped Teles. Waparper, you're probably right about pickup influence (pickup hight adjustment?) on this matter. But no volume drop with 'oop + parallel' really astonishes me!

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I've had several configurations over the last while. Currently I'm really happy with a typical 4-way setup. I had a half OOP switch in the circuit on a mini toggle switch as well which allowed me to have OOP in both series or parallel.

1) bridge
    2) bridge/neck parallel
    3) neck
    4) bridge/neck series

Toggle: half OOP neck pickup in positions 2 & 4.

I added a Fender TBX control For the tone control and modded that according to Dirk Wacker's article for smoother operation: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Fender_TBX_Tone_Control_Mod_Part_2 I am a true believer of the TBX control. That and good single coil pickups really makes this guitar shine.

I recently pulled the phase switch out because I need a spot for a true bypass switch for an onboard preamp with 24db mid boost; basically a Clapton preamp but wired for true bypass and with normal values for the volume & tone controls. I've got a pair of stacked pots in the volume control now. Outer controls volume, inner controls mid boost.

3. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    I love the 4-way wiring with both pickups in series. I also love Danny Gatton's nasally cocked-wah tone. You can add either of those cool tones with a standard 4-way switch. But why force ourselves to choose? So, my next tele will get both with this circuit.

It is also from the Phostenix Wiring Diagram site mentioned earlier. There are a dizzying number of options there. I have used some and look forward to using more. The 5-way superswitch has become a good friend.

One word to the wise on those two-wafer superswitches: they are wide and can require some care when fitting them into standard tele control cavities.

trouserpress likes this.

4. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Very interesting - I've got to find out how to swap B*N for Cocked-Wah in the "Deaf Eddie"-design.

5. Swiftandbold72

Swiftandbold72 TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Plymouth
    My luthier friend done mine for me. IMG_2955.JPG

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I'd suggest starting with something like this robbie robertson signature model except use a Tele bridge with Strat neck and 'middle'. Put a regular 5-way blade switch in but have the second tone pot operate as the Dan Armstrong Blender to go from SSS to HSH.

This is pretty close to one I plan to build soon, Tele bridge, P90 middle but pushed back next to the Tele, and a Strat neck pickup, 5-way blade and DABM. But that's after I build my pickup winder...

[​IMG]

7. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    I have become a true believer in the half out of phase parallel in strats. It does require a bit of tweaking to get it tuned to your particular pickups, but well worth it. The pickup position has a big effect, as does the cap value. I have found it adds some low mid girth without losing the sparkle. Almost P90ish. Check out the DGB Studios site for a few thousand ideas.

8. BariTele

BariTele Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2015
    Portland, Oregon
    "Half out of phase"? What does that entail? I thought it was either "in phase" or "out of phase".

9. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    +
    Think of it as using one pickup to tweak the response of another pickup. If two identical pickups are exactly out of phase and sensing the same section of strings, they will cancel out completely. We use a cap to shape how one influences the other. It is tougher to predict in actual practice so some Experience and experiments are warranted.

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    I think a 4 way tele is nice. I would love a four way tele, with a baja switch that gave me an alternative esquire inspired option maybe v/t bypass neck/eldrige mod bridge/ t bypass bridge/ v/t bypass bridge.

that might be cool?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.