Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Recommend a "fancy" wiring style for my new build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Sconnie, Aug 9, 2017.

1. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    A volume drop (just a tad clear from beeing a problem) with the series-oop I can only notice in one of my two 5-way equiped Teles. Waparper, you're probably right about pickup influence (pickup hight adjustment?) on this matter. But no volume drop with 'oop + parallel' really astonishes me!

2. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I've had several configurations over the last while. Currently I'm really happy with a typical 4-way setup. I had a half OOP switch in the circuit on a mini toggle switch as well which allowed me to have OOP in both series or parallel.

1) bridge
    2) bridge/neck parallel
    3) neck
    4) bridge/neck series

Toggle: half OOP neck pickup in positions 2 & 4.

I added a Fender TBX control For the tone control and modded that according to Dirk Wacker's article for smoother operation: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Fender_TBX_Tone_Control_Mod_Part_2 I am a true believer of the TBX control. That and good single coil pickups really makes this guitar shine.

I recently pulled the phase switch out because I need a spot for a true bypass switch for an onboard preamp with 24db mid boost; basically a Clapton preamp but wired for true bypass and with normal values for the volume & tone controls. I've got a pair of stacked pots in the volume control now. Outer controls volume, inner controls mid boost.

3. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    I love the 4-way wiring with both pickups in series. I also love Danny Gatton's nasally cocked-wah tone. You can add either of those cool tones with a standard 4-way switch. But why force ourselves to choose? So, my next tele will get both with this circuit.

It is also from the Phostenix Wiring Diagram site mentioned earlier. There are a dizzying number of options there. I have used some and look forward to using more. The 5-way superswitch has become a good friend.

One word to the wise on those two-wafer superswitches: they are wide and can require some care when fitting them into standard tele control cavities.

trouserpress likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Very interesting - I've got to find out how to swap B*N for Cocked-Wah in the "Deaf Eddie"-design.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.