Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Recommend a "fancy" wiring style for my new build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Sconnie, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I am working on my first partscaster with a pre-fabricated body from Warmoth and all the spare parts I have lying around, I'm working on the finish now. I want to have a plan ready when it comes time to wire and assemble the instrument and I'm looking for cool ways to wire up two stock pickups.

Given that the pickups will be said stock Fender tele pups I am very open to 3, 4, or 5-way switching and even push/pull pots if need be (which might not even be possible to use without 4-conductor humbuckers, kindly drop a knowledge bomb on me if that's the case haha).

What do you guys find cool, interesting, and useful to have on a non-standard tele? I have a tele with standard 3-way wiring and want to make the next one a less redundant.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I'm not tech savvy enough to give you the "how to", however, one of the best and inexpensive Mods I made to my Tele was installing a "4 Way" switch. The extra "Series" position is great fun on leads and gives a nice Humbucker like growl to the single coils.

Ricky D. likes this.

3. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    How about a 3-way switch and 2 push/pull knobs? One for series/parallel and the other for phase in/out. I had that and it was pretty cool and simple.

Barncaster, RodeoTex and Sconnie like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Holic

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    This is my favorite wiring. Is it fancy enough for you? :D

3-way and 1 push-pull pot. Switch down - standard tele. Switch up - bridge, bridge/neck half-out-of-phase, and bridge/neck in series.

[​IMG]

7. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    It's got to be 'Deaf Eddies' 5-Way (eyb/schaller superswicht) switching cirquit you're looking for. No other! You get:
    1- bridge
    2- bridge and neck in series and out of phase
    3 - bridge and neck parallel
    4- bridge and neck in series
    5- neck

No 2 is such cool lead tone when distorted. Series compensates for the oop- volume loss.

No 4 is rather fat but could be a useful feature - just don't know when.
    Google that one!

8. BariTele

BariTele Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2015
    Portland, Oregon
    Joe Gore talks about what I would call a "variable cut-off" tone control that uses two capacitors instead of one. I have implemented this in a Mustang and absolutely love it. With a normal tone control, the resonant peak disappears as you roll the tone down, then reappears when you get to zero. To my ear, the variable cut-off seems to preserve that crucial resonant peak, but moves the frequency. It never sounds dull, just darker or brighter. I also wired it to a push/push pot so that I could bypass the tone circuit entirely.

trouserpress likes this.

9. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Great suggestions so far guys, THANKS!

10. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Sheffield UK
    Dunkerhook, moosie and Sconnie like this.

11. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's the same as wiring a small cap from input to ground across your volume pot... which would be a tidier way to accomplish it.

I wouldn't call it a new tone control. I'd call it a normal tone control plus putting a fixed low-pass filter on your pickups.

Sconnie likes this.

12. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    +1 on Deaf Eddie's 5-way. I've put it in all three of my Teles - using the Oaks-Grigsby Thinline Superswitch. No need for push-pulls.

screefer likes this.

13. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    I will be trying that out!

4pickupguy and waparker4 like this.

14. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Now, that IS cool! I might try it when I rewire mine, which I do every 2 weeks or so... Although I don't fully understand the wiring, there are no switches and both pickups are wired in series, correct? With "tone 29" you change the resistance and the pickups transition smoothly from series to parallel while adjusting the tone, correct? And "tone 25" works more or less like a volume knob, right?

15. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Another vote for Deaf Eddie's 5-way. 250K vol pot and the out of phase series is awesome for a 'different' twanky tone and the series in-phase is great with a pushed clean tone - very ballsy. Best thing - stock appearance.

screefer likes this.

16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Notice that the tube amplifier is an integral part of the circuit. There are no controls on the amp. Volume and tone are controlled at the guitar. Yep.

17. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    I used this one:

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/5-way-shoop

But now I am wondering about the recommendation above that has the OOP position in Series vs Parallel. I really like the HOoP sound in position 2, but there is a volume drop that is problematic for on-the-fly shifts.

I used a no-load tone pot as well.

18. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't notice a volume drop with half-out-of-phase parallel. Maybe it's my pickups.

19. tnt1234

tnt1234 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2011
    princeton, nj

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Two problems: That's a three pickup schematic and Jerry Garcia is one of my least favorite musicians ever and I don't like his sound at all. Three problems... :lol:

21. tnt1234

tnt1234 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2011
    princeton, nj
    Ha! Well then, stay away from that link!

The preamp is worth considering regardless of your style. And if you uses effects, the OBEL concept is remarkably effective IMO.

Sconnie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.