Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reclaiming and repurposing historic wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rich Rice, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    These fiddles are lots of fun. Glad to hear your son is enjoying his. I hope to get this one wrapped up in the next few days, but the finish is being a bugger.. I'll definitely do a clip when it's up and running. I'm sure the violin is much better than my playing abilities, but the tone should speak volumes.. ;)

LOL!!

2. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    I saw this thread Friday last week. Well it has taking me until just now to read through it. But guess what. What an amazing build(s). I absolutly love these instruments, and can hardly wait for them to finish. The short scale bass..... That one I am digging BIG TIME. That one I will be gassing over for a good long time...

I also want to say, that you focus on details are amoungst the best I have seen. Great work, and I cant get enough of it :)

I think I already know the answer, but what are you building for the challenge 2014 :)

3. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Finished up the piano bass last week- amazing instrument. Well beyond my hopes/expectations.. Still no "beauty pics", but here are a couple of snapshots from Chris' phone..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably the most playable and versatile bass we've built. Very, very pleased with this outcome. ;)

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Nice. I really like your treatment of the wood--looks old, and comfortably natural. Almost a patina to it.

6. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    This one surprised me a little. Despite the shorter scale, all the notes ring beautifully- even the low E string.. It can get mellow, but also can be fairly aggressive, or get a piano-like vibe. Better than I could have hoped.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Well a piano like vibe is a natural for it....:)

8. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    LOL Marty..Ya got me there.. ;)

9. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Definitely this is a catch eye bass.

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Rich, what is the scale of it? I've been interested in someday building a SS bass. Any ideas why this one sounds so good? Just well-seasoned wood, perhaps selected by the piano makers for tonal qualities? (Or any other advice for a would-be SS bass builder?)

11. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I'm pretty sure that it is a 30" scale. (I built it like a year ago
    .)

Lots of little details were changed from the first one, but aside from the superior ancient wood, the Fralin pickups were a great choice, combined with ultralight tuners and a lower mass bridge. In the past we always used heftier bridges, but this one really sings. The hickory neck probably helps, too. Very stiff.

12. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Cool. Thanks!

13. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

The specs are 30" scale, 1 1/2" nut, 16mm bridge, Hipshot hardware...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

14. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Anyone in the TDPRI have another piano to donate to the Rice family? I want more!

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I have to say this is an amazing thread. Rich these are just amazing. I can't look at my parents Steinway without drooling. They had some boob re-finish it and they put Steinway & Sons on it and stole the ebony keys, now all I see is guitar wood! Great job!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.