Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reclaiming and repurposing historic wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rich Rice, Oct 6, 2012.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Would love to have the money from all the vaccum cleaners I've trashed over the years :lol:
    Great looking neck joint ;)

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    That looks superb, Rich. Are you going to keep the neck nice and white or will you tint it at all? I'm digging how white it looks against the black.

3. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC
    One of my favorite bass lines, Joe Osborn nails it.
    I think this song was the reason I switched to flat wound strings and never changed them.

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thanks! I've worn out quite a few, but the good old Electrolux skinny canister type have lasted for years and years.

I'm not planning on a colored tint, but the finish will warm it up some. The fretboard is also maple, but will probably go a shade darker than the neck itself. The neck is quartersawn, the fretboard is flatsawn. Should be a cool look, and I like turning the grain for extra stiffness.

Yep, my flatwounds are many years old, and they aren't going anywhere. I run D'Addario Chromes on my fretless bass with an ebony fingerboard- like heaven every time I pick it up.. :D

It has been a very busy day here, I took a bunch of pics, but it will take some time to sort through them, upload, and so on. I hope I can take the time to do so later this evening.. Just cranking here today...:cool:

5. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Well, I updated my thread over on TGP, posting the same thing here seems a bit redundant.. I'll put a few pics up here from time to time, but it is getting too time consuming to build, shoot pics, and run parallel threads.. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I made the fretboard and prepped it to be glued onto the neck- that's as far as it went for now...

More to come, but I think the nitty gritty is nothing Earth shaking at this point.. ;)

6. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Hey guys.. I'm still alive and kicking.. and I sure miss you. Life continues, and I have been refurbishing/restoring tons of old fiddles lately..

Anyhow, I hope everybody is doing well, and invite you to drop in on my personal Facebook page. Stop by, say hello! ;)

Rich

https://www.facebook.com/rich.rice.54

7. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Jun 10, 2008
    Co Down, N. Ireland
    Good to know you're still working away, I've just lost an hour going through this thread again and I love what you did with the piano, I have a similar approach to recycling wood but it takes me years to build anything worthwhile. It's been great seeing how you work :)

8. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thanks for the nice note, Pete. I kicked most of these piano guitars to the curb, just to give them some time to settle in and make sure they will remain stable. (not really to the curb, more like deep storage).

Winter is tough here, so much of my shop is off limits for another month or so. Once the weather is more favorable, I will revisit these and finish them up. So far, everything looks to be in fine shape. ;)

9. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2011
    Ljubljana, SI
    Good to see this thread live again :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I was just thinking about you today, Rich. Wish we could see ya around here more often. :)

11. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Are we going to see some of your magic buildings soon Rich?

12. dbparker

dbparker TDPRI Member

I just read through this entire thread, more guitars kept coming! Amazing idea and so pleased to see it cataloged and documented all together. Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

13. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thought I'd pop in and say hello!

I'd like to take some time and dig through your Scraptasticaster. As time allows, I'll give it a go. ;)
    The guitar building slowed to a crawl with such a harsh winter, but I've been busy rebuilding ancient fiddles.. I'll get back to guitars as things warm up over here. Definitely more to come.. ;)
    Kind of the way things go over here.. One leads to three, leads to nine.. I wouldn't want it any other way!

I hope you all will feel comfortable joining me on Facebook, I seem to be there more often.. I will surely bring a number of the threads back as time/weather permits. Lots of new ideas cooking over here.. ;) Thanks for the hospitality!

14. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Hi Rich , good to hear from ya !

15. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thanks Herb! Good to see you, too!

I disassembled and have been rebuilding this beautiful violin for the past couple of weeks. It's a German fiddle from 1899.. What a disaster it was..

[​IMG]

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    OMG! That's even worse than the photo you posted over on the Workbench thread, and makes your rehab of it all the more impressive!

17. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Ohh, did someone sneeze on that violin.:lol:

18. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    That sucker was reaaallly ugly when I got it. I'm almost done stripping my new finish from the back and sides again. I was afraid of the spruce, so I saved it for last. Two coats into it, I like it even more than the maple I had almost completed. Going back to bare maple is the best approach in the long run.

19. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Rich,

My son is a 4th year Suzuki student. We love the instrument. Recently his grandfather gave him an old German violin dated right after WWI. 1918 I think. His grandfather received it from his father who was a preacher during the early part of the 20th century as payment for some services provided. Luckily, it is in very nice shape but it will be a while before he can play a 4/4. I'd love to hear this one when you are done!

Rob

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Get some new tubes and caps, be just like new.
    Oh well, their loss is your gain. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.