Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reclaiming and repurposing historic wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rich Rice, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I haven't seen those, but I'm sure they are really good. ;)

I like a big honkin' TR free neck personally, but the majority of folks out there seem to be afraid of 'em. Never had a problem with one, but the stigma abounds. :rolleyes:

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Rich,

When I did my Snakehead, Joe Desperado did the neck. He gently sawed off the fingerboard section and put in a CF rod and glue it all back together. The grain almost matches. It is a 1" boatneck and moves very little if any through the seasons. We have 2 here in NORCAL; 8 months dry and sunny, 4 months rain. Its really resonant and light. Used largish frets to help give some latitude for adjustment but hasn't needed any.

The Gil build I referenced earlier was his replication of the 1950 NAMM Fender Esquire. Check the build out. It's great.

Rob

3. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I'll definitely take a look at it.. I've built a number of TR free necks, all well seasoned quarter sawn maple. We have huge shifts in temp and humidity here in Chicago, from over 100 degrees to colder than -20, and the humidity soars in the summer-disappears in the winter. I've never seen the need to even reinforce one that I built, they could be used as ramps to load a Harley into a trailer.. ;) I don't own any of them now, people talk me into letting them go.. most times they need to play 'em once, then it's over. :eek::lol:

If I were building this one to hang on to, it would go that way- I did think about a snakehead, but by then I had already set up to do a "traditional" build.. I'm not sure if I can get into the whole snakehead thing with otherwise traditional tele appointments..

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Rich,

Marc Rutters can do all parts Snakehead style. He did mine and are beautiful. Couldn't be happier.

Rob

5. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Good to know.. Thanks! ;)

6. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Got the color on there and a bunch of smoothing down- just about ready to start the clears..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Classic, Rich. It's nice to get back to the basics sometimes.

8. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Yeah, these are always fun.. ;)

9. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    MI

10. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thanks! I'm kind of torn between a full-on gloss and a hand rubbed semigloss.. I guess I'll think about it and make a decision this morning.. I'd like to get some clear on there right awy, just to give it some time to cure..

There is so much heavy rain here right now that spraying could be problematic.. I guess I'll play it by ear..:cool:

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Bad weather still? Hope it breaks soon ;)

Remember this? :D

12. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    HAHA! Yep, I remember it..

Weather is even worse right now- torrential downpours, high winds, flickering lights. No cnc today, baby. Roads flooded and closed all through the area, and forecast to continue this way all day. Even main highways are closed, due to flooding.

What to do? I shot some lacquer in the laundry room as soon as my wife headed out the door.. I guess I'll just keep on going.. Already feeling the effects of fumes throughout the house- poisoned by 7:30 AM..

13. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Well, I managed to get some good progress on the pine T finish- gone into clear nitro topcoats now.. Very cold weather here along with rain has limited me to light coats indoors, but at least it's drying and not blushing...

I tried to get a couple of pics, but the lighting is too weird right now.. More to come. ;)

14. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    OK.. started putting the neck blank together this morning- an old piece of quartersawn rock maple was calling to me- but it's barely wide enough for the shaft of the neck.. So I went about slicing, dicing, gluing and clamping.. Finally got it in a place where I think it will work.. Took too much thinking, but great wood is worth the effort.. As long as my calculations are right, this should be a really nice neck for the black T.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I'm still working on the finish, but here's where she sits right now-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Oh my lord that's gorgeous :eek:

17. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Speaking of finish, that picnic table could use some TLC.

18. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thanks! Still working on it, but it's getting there. ;)
    True, but nobody uses it except the squirrels, and it's a "no tell motel" for them..:lol:

So I got some more stuff done on the neck, looks like I played my cards right.. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This gives me some hand work to do tonight in front of the TV- I hate sitting idle..

19. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    It's usually drawing or making patterns, but it's sometimes unholy the things I've worked on while in front of the tube :lol:..................just love cleaning up the mess :rolleyes:

20. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I heard that.. I've been sanding/shaping and truing things up all night- dozed for a couple of hours, and then back to work.. ;)

I smoothed out the curves, fitted the heel, and generally cleaned up the neck- ready to run the fretboard and start fitting the truss rod. I'll try to get a little more sleep before embarking on those projects, though. Also need to vacuum in here- it's a real dustball right now..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.