Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Reclaimed pine build coming. WooHoo!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rich Rice, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    We acquired some really old pine end tables tonight. They are probably about 40 years old. I'll try to get rolling on disassembly and prep tomorrow. Looks like time for pinecaster bodies!

2. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    Looking forward to see what develops.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nice goin Rich, Old pine makes some wonderful sound.

Ron Kirn

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

40 years old sounds like a great age for the wood, with a good 40 ahead as well.
    I am wondering when the 'old furniture' people are gonna clam up about all available wood sources.
    Oh, and forget what I said about chestnut. I looked at some pieces, and, talk about boat anchors, hoo.

Bubbanov

6. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I hear you. I dream of finding an old piece of hickory- not sure why. Probably because of an old axe handle I used for decades. It had cool grain.

7. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Here we go!

Befores:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get busy taking these apart, and see what I have to work with. Should be interesting. :D

8. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 1, 2006
    Australia
    Oh man! You gonna make a body outta that?

That's cool! I've seen heaps of stuff around like this in the past an never thought it was worth tackling?

I'm keeping my eye on this one for sure! :D

9. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Mar 25, 2006
    Are those made from 2x6s from back when 2 actually meant 2" thick?

Those tables look like they weigh a ton. Looks like you can get some bodies out of more than just the table tops.

10. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Yes, they are heavy. I took one apart, and am very close to aborting mission. The wood on the tops would have been very cool, but they are heavily fastened with corrugated steel fasteners on the underside. These have proven to be impossible to remove without extensive damage to the wood, and the steel pieces would ruin my tools. Just not worth it.

I'm thinking about resawing the salvageable portions into tops for semi-hollow bodies instead. This way I can still get the vibe and some of the tone without
    tearing up tools. I don't want to waste the wood, but much of it is simply unusable.

These are not a full 2". Even if they were, the steel clips are at all different angles and tear up about 3/4" into the edges. Bummer. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more old pine, and try to work through this.

11. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2003
    Rutherford, NJ
    Nice! How many bodies do you think you'll get out of them?

12. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I'm really not sure how many at this point. 2, maybe 3. I need to rethink the whole project. It's not over yet, though. There are ways of doing things that I need to think through all the way... In the meantime, I'll resaw one or two of the boards to see what the wood wants me to do.. ;)

13. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Well, the bandsaw broke down after the first cut, now I get to be a mechanic. The wood is gorgeous. I'll need to go buy some metric taps and a hardened bolt before the saw will run.. so it may take the better part of the morning. I think I've figured out a good way to make use of this wood. Here's what's inside those homely looking boards..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Wonderful looking pine, Rich.

And you are for sure helping our world dismantling those tables.
    Hope you can save a good bit of it.

I hear you about these bandsaws. I listen to my Dad's as he's using it when I'm in Paso Robles, and I only ask to use it when it sounds healthy. It's a Shop Smith bandsaw from the mid 60's, has thousands of hours on it, too many rebuilds and replaced blades to count. No way I could make those deep cuts.

Bubbanov

15. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2004
    Upper Holland, PA
    How long does pine have to age before it gets really good? I just replaced the mantle on our fireplace and the original mantle is about 25 years old. It is a single slab of pine that's about 13 inches wide, 2.5 inches thick and 80 inches long.

I'm thinking it might make a couple of good bodies.

Jim

16. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Works for me! 25 years, and it was probably kiln dried to begin with. Go for it!

17. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

Sep 12, 2006
    Seattle
    That's a great find, these pinecasters really knock me out. I think Arlen's last one pushed me over the edge, I have a neck I've covinced myself needs to go on a pine.

18. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Looks like your gonna get some nice bodies out of that Pine Rich!

Keep us posted!

19. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Boy, I hope so. It took a little thought, but I should actually be able to do four bodies from the two tables.

I knocked the legs from one side apart, and got lucky.. Screws with wooden caps and nails, but no glue.

[​IMG]

Once the leg was apart, here's what I have to work with for the "frame" of the guitar. I resawed three of the boards from the top into approximately 1/4" slices with which to make tops and backs. I just set them aside for the moment, and will need to joint, plane, and glue those up later. That's the easier part, and I want to start in on the design using only the wood I have from these tables.

[​IMG]

I laid out the two outer edges using the long boards, and avoided the existing holes (just made it. There are some minor nail holes, but they shouldn't present a problem.

[​IMG]

Then I went ahead, and cut out the outside shapes on the band saw. Once I had both sides rough cut, I set them up with the template to see what needed to be done next.

[​IMG]

20. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    [​IMG]

With the sides on top of the template, I checked to see which lumber would work best as a center support. This is the heart of the guitar, so I want to keep it very solid and keep the grain orientation running in the right direction. Figure this is the piece the neck and bridge bolt to, so there were some parameters to comply with. Luckily, the board proved to be long enough to extend well beyond the bridge.

[​IMG]

That is one hefty hunk of wood. Perfect. ;)

I did a little measuring, and a little math- then determined what to do with the bottom of the body. This needs to be solid, but the load is carried by the center board. Basically this piece needs to support the top, back, and side pieces. I decided to turn it sideways. That will help give more strength and stability to the faces of the body as well as a better mounting for the strap button. Screws will hold better going into this grain than into end grain.

[​IMG]

Now I need two small filler pieces to fill the gaps on both sides of the neck. I'll run some of these 2x4's through the planer to remove the bulk of old finish (helps make better glue joints), and cut the last two segments after the rest has been planed. This way I can get a true dimension.

[​IMG]

Here's the guts of the body so far...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007

21. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Here are the choices for the top/back.. I sliced these from three of the top boards.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.