Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Recipe/Process for 1954 Esquire Colour

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by IggyT, Dec 20, 2008.

1. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    I am planning a 54 esquire...
    coloured nitro is rare in Canada...I can get clear.
    so I may have to improvise with paints/lacquers that are available.
    I also hope to keep it translucent so that the grain really shows through and not opaque. It may not be true to spec but this is how I " see" the project.

Suggestions please,
    thanks
    :D

Iggy

2. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I mixed colored lacquer for this guitar.

[​IMG]

I used white and yellow color pigments from StewMac.

[​IMG]

When I got the color right I mixed this in some nitro.

[​IMG]

It looks kinda yellow but it was pretty transparent so when I shot it over a white primer it ended up looking a lot creamier colored. Since it was so thin I could build it up slowly to hide the white but still show some grain. Adding a little bit of brown would make it a bit more of a butterscotch color instead of the creamy color.

3. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    tHANKS BAw4742.
    This is pretty close to what I had in mind.
    I will look around stew mac.
    iggy

4. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

5. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    This would work perfectly ...but then I looked at the fine print "this will not ship to Canada"...so I can find clear nitro lacquer spray bombs and clear lacquer in quart cans but I am back to looking for the pigments in Canada ...not to mention most of the parts for the esquire!
    thanks for the link,
    iggy

6. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Bummer. I didn't think about shipping thing.

I did find Behlens here. It looks like it would work but I'm not sure about their shipping policy or if the product is available in Canada.

7. dpmulvan

dpmulvan TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2008
    syracuse
    hell go to your local paint store and have them hook you up with some toner for oil base paint that might work nitro works with almost anything give it a shot, do you have a home depot??

8. tlecky

tlecky Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2008
    Westchester County NY
    Your Tele looks excellent. Do you understand the difference between the ColorTone Pigment and Stain that StewMac sells?

9. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

The ColorTone Concentrated Liquid Stain is used for transparent finishes and the ColorTone Pigment is used for opaque (solid) colors. I mixed it with the lacquer made a semi transparent sort of color so that some of the grain would show through the finish on this guitar.

I've mixed the stains with alcohol or water to make stains to apply over bare wood. I've also mixed it with lacquer to make transparent sprays to go over sanding sealer.

10. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    I use Deft clear lacquer as a base and use Tintsall universal pigments to get the color I like. Tintsall can be had at real hardware stores (not Lowes) and comes in tubes like toothpaste. It comes in lots of colors, but not in plain old white. My local hardware store gave me a shot of white pigment from their paint mixing machine to lighten the Tintsall. After I get the color mixed I thin it a bit and shoot it through a Preval sprayer.

11. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    thankyou sir,
    are the tintsall pigments oil based? or that "squirt" from your local paint shop.I may be able to find something like this in Canada.
    I guess the main challenge now is finding pigments that I can mix into the lacquer prior to application.
    iggy

12. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada

13. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    Shepherd,
    thanks! I have checked out the catalogue and it looks promising.
    Given my desire for an early esquire colour (the examples from BAW4742 are perfect) which of the Mohawk products or combinations would come closest?
    many thanks
    Iggy

14. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    If you are mixing colours, it's something you have to experiment with. You can also bring them a colour sample and they can match it. I would try their toners. Easy to use and only $6-$8. They have a blonde, M101-0222, and by adjusting the # of coats should be close but not quite as yellow. Here's a sample on maple, bottom sample, 2 coats toner & 1 coat nitro. I actually spray the toners into my spray gun cup so it tints the lacquer. You can try different shades of yellow and white toners to get the right tint. I think mixing M115-2106 and M115-0333 should get you close to what BAW4742 has. That's the cheapest way, you can also try the aniline dyes or Ultra penetrating stain but it gets pricy fast. If you want Stewmac stuff, you can set up a US shipping address account near the the border and just ship it there. I use these guys but you can find something similiar in your area. http://www.packageexpress.com:80/
    View attachment 18319

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009

15. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    Very Good!
    thanks very much folks.
    Iggy

16. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2007
    Alberta,Canada
    These are the same dyes and pigments sold by StewMac but are just packaged different
    ColorFx Dyes
    Mixol Pigments
    You can use them in anything.I have even used the dye in TruOil
    He has an outlet in Saskatoon and one in Oakville to reduce shipping times to the eastern part of Canada

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.