Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

recipe for Blonde Finish

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TeleLubber, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TeleLubber

TeleLubber TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Forgive me as I'm new here, but I once saw a build thread here that showed "the recipe" how to get that traditonal translucent tele blonde finish on an ash body.. anyone have a link to point me to? Thanks in advance :D

2. SMPTE

SMPTE Tele-Afflicted

Aug 21, 2006
    Minneeeesoooottta
    First you get a blonde, then you get a tele. I think there's honey and a fifth of tequila in there some how too.

3. Cole

Cole Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2008
    Louisville KY
    well to the forum tellelubber! Go here for another alternative source:

Reranch Paint

Good luck!

4. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Orcas Island, Washington
    I've had luck with the Stew-Mac lacquer and pigments...

Get the white and yellow pigments, and mix to taste according to the year of the tele you're trying to replicate...

5. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    "blonde" varies a lot by year. The 1950-54 era color coat is browner than the 55 to late 60's blondes. On my blonde 68 and in the blondes I have shot myself, the opaque color coat is actually a creamy white with not much yellow in it at all. The yellow comes from the aging/ambering (or added tint) of the clear coat Re-ranch is the easiest way to go to get a blonde right from a rattle can. You can then clear coat it with Deft if you want the non yellowed blonde look, or you can clear with a tinted lacquer for a more yellowed look.

6. Delvis

Delvis TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2006
    I bought the reranch stuff before and it looked horrible!

Behlen used to make a pigmented laquer called Lt. Fruitwood that was much closer in appearance.

Best bet is to make your own.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    You have to be aware, there is no 'standard' blonde finish because they sourced paint from all over, and the paint was mixed by hand and applied (especially in the early days) in very inconsistent conditions.

This advice seems to work:

I used no sanding sealer prior to pore filler (as per instructions on the can) and one coat after. Didn't seem to matter. I can't say how 'good' my finish was, but it looks similar to blond 60's Teles to me, which is what I was shooting for.

From the bottom of this article:
    http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

8. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    for a late 50's blond i had good luck w/ 10:1 mix of clear lacquer, and white lacquer (10 parts clear, one part white), then a shader of clear tinted w/ (10 drops) yellow and also a touch of brown (2 drops) and red (2 drops) Stew Mac tints. In a couple years it looks dead on.

9. TeleLubber

TeleLubber TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Wow - thanks for all the pointers.. I have looked into the Stew Mac stuff and Reranch .. but they didn't specify "how" to mix up a good blonde finish .. I have finished necks before with tinted laquer with good results.. so I kinda know where I'm headed as far as "yellowing with age"

The problem is I dont have any spray equipment, and have used wipe on poly with my las 4 "partscasters" - teles and strats - with good results.. but I'm thinkin its time to invest in some.. for all the money I've wasted on rattle cans I could have had a good compressor by now! Hehe.. :lol:

I'll try and post an example of the color I'm after ..

This sounds like the common suggested approach : Take some WHITE nitrocellulose lacquer, and mix it about 1:10 with clear lacquer

10. TeleLubber

TeleLubber TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    This is what I'm after, the "butterscotch blonde" look .. thanks to degsycaster for posting his new Baja Tele today and use of his images...

Attached Files:

11. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Orcas Island, Washington
    "...but they didn't specify "how" to mix up a good blonde finish..."

OK, get yourself some spray equipment....
    You see compressors all the time at second hand stores, and you don't need a very big one...
    I use a DeVilbis (sp?) gun...

Get the Stew-Mac pigments. I'd go for white, yellow, and maybe brown (for a darker project down the line)...

Get a good copy of the pic you posted...

In the clear jar that you're mixing your lacquer in, I'd start with a very small quantity of white, then add a touch of yellow...

Hold the jar up to the pic till you're happy...

Spray, keeping in mind that you're going to be building up the coats till it reaches the level of transparency you desire...

Then clearcoat when you are happy...

This is the simplified version, but it should work...

[​IMG]

12. TeleLubber

TeleLubber TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    OK -- thanks for the help!

13. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Buying from Reranch is like pulling teeth. People have to actually post on the forum to let others know it's open. Try Mohawk toners. Half the price and easier to get. Here's a sample board I made up of a few colours on Maple. The blonde is on the bottom.
    DSCF01591.JPG
    http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/default.asp

14. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    Or you could use a few preval setups, one for clear, one for white, one for tint. order them online for $3 bucks each. or just use two, one for white, one for tint, and use clear deft in cans for clear. that's what i do, and i have a spray rig. It's much much easier for setup and cleanup.

Johnny

15. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    + 1 on the Preval units. You can get them at most auto parts stores. I mix and spray all my color coats, tinted clear coats and even small metal flakes using a Preval. They work great. The Deft lacquer that comes in quart cans and which says on the can is "not for spraying", actually sprays great in a Preval if thinned a bit. That is the lacquer I use for mixing color and tint coats.

16. TeleLubber

TeleLubber TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Wow .. thanks for doing those color comparisons..

I forgot all about Preval .. sounds like a plan for me. I just happen to have some cans of Deft around here ;)

17. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2006
    York, ME
    Here is my take on a late 50's early 60's blonde.

-Seal the wood with a wash coat
    -fill pores, sand smooth and spray another coat of sealer to lock in pore fill.
    -spray the white with darker edges
    -my white is 6oz. of 1:1 clear laquer and thinner and 1/4 tbs. of white Stew Mac pigment.
    -Spray toner
    -tone is same 1:1 clear Lacquer and thinner but a drop of vintage amber.
    -6 coats of clear then sand and buff.

And this is what you get.
    [​IMG]

18. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2006
    York, ME
    Sorry, I should have read that a little closer. For my Butterscotch I add a couple of drops of vintage amber and one drop of med. brown to my white lacquer. Then clear over that.

Like this guy.
    [​IMG]

19. fivenote

fivenote Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's my reproduction of a 1958 blond...

[​IMG]

My recipe for the color coat using stewmac pigments...

Per 8oz thinned lacquer, mix in 1.5 tsp white, 20 drops yellow and about 3 drops brown.

There's more pics and detail on my build post

20. TeleLubber

TeleLubber TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    How many color coats did you do with this.. I like the color, but want just a bit more translucense (sp?)

BTW .. all of these submissions are making it harder for me to choose .. LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.