Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Recent Pedal Madness

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hippietim, Mar 17, 2003.

1. hippietim

hippietim Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Raleigh
    After I started buying a bunch of digital gear (Rocktron Chameleon, Roland VG-8, etc.) about 7-8 years ago and not playing in bands steadily I sold almost all of my tube amps and pedals. Some very lucky folks got some old Boss, Ibanez, and MXR pedals for VERY cheap a few years ago.

Fast forward to the last year. Over the last year I've been putting together a pedal arsenal again. In the last two weeks I've bought probably 10 pedals or so from various on-line sources. So far here's what has come in and my impressions:
    <ul>[*]Johnson Analog Delay - OK, I know most of you are chuckling right now. We've all seen these and laughed thinking it would be junk. Well I find it to be a very cool delay. It's a little on the edgy side but not harsh sounding like a typical digital delay. For $33, I'm thrilled.
    [*]Rockson Analog Delay - so if you weren't laughing before, you are now. And rightly so. This thing sucks eggs. The end of the delay has this wierd sound warping artifact that's really obnoxious. This one's going back up on Ebay.
    [*]Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb - wow! that's what I have to say about this thing. It sounds great. Even the Flerb setting is very useful. This thing sounds better than a real Fender spring reverb I recently tried out for dirty signals.
    [*]Ibanez AD-202 - this is a rackmounted analog delay. This thing kicks butt. It is simply amazing sounding. It has delay, doubler, chorus, and flanger settings. What is super cool about this thing is you can use pitch modulation with the delay. This is a very cool piece.
    [/list]
    I've got more things coming this week so I will post more findings.

2. DerektheDomino

DerektheDomino TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Portland, Oregon
    Totally agree on the Johnson delay. Great bang for the buck. The only drawback I've found are the inevitable comments from my band mates about "stepping on my Johnson".............

3. Amos

Amos Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2003
    Great Northwest
    Tim,

Interesting how we go through different gear phases, eh?

One of the guys at the church gig is trying to get me to go POD, I just chuckle and say "no thanks," I'll stick with my pedals and tube amps.

I'm not a snob about it, just hard to go to something else after becoming accustomed to the older stuff. For example, the piano player refuses to go digital because he just likes the touch and feel of an acoustic piano.

I've heard good things about the Johnson delay. Looking forward to hearing your updates as you populate your pedal board.

BTW, are you going to the Seattle Guitar show next month?

4. alabubba

alabubba Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Alabama
    I tried the Line6 route, but eventually wound up sticking a pedalboard back in front of the Flextone. It was then that I realized all I really wanted was a good clean tube amp to put a pedalboard in front of... :rolleyes:

5. Tom A.

Tom A. Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Byram, Mississippi
    Amos, not going to a POD is really smart. I tried a POD on my church's praise and worship team, besides terrible sounding. the sound man would forget to turn me on about half the time. Tubes is the way to go, I also have control of my sound also.

Tom

6. hippietim

Mar 17, 2003
    Raleigh
    I'm not making the same mistake this time though

I'm not selling off my digital gear. Most of the reasons I got that stuff are still valid. There are simply things you can do with those tools that you can't with "regular" stuff.

7. cmcneil

cmcneil TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Ibanez AD-202

That Ibanez AD-202 was a score - the peak of analog delay technology IMHO - the modulation on the delay is completely great.

8. Ace

Ace TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    ...I think these early rack-mounted analog delays are the best-kept secrets in the vintage effects market; I recently picked an old Ibanez AD-220 and I lugged it (boy, this thing is heavy!) - instead of my regular pedals - to the studio for our demo session yesterday and I'm glad I did; besides the usual slapback stuff I used the flanger section to emulate the leslie tones a la Clarence White very successfully...considering the facts that these babies have more depth & longer delays than any analog pedals in the market - without the temperamentality & all the hassle of tape delays - plus you get some cool & very usable modulation sounds as a bonus, I just don't get it that you can still run across them for the price of a new Boss DD...

9. hippietim

Mar 17, 2003
    Raleigh
    Boss DD-6

I tried one of these out last weekend. What a dissapointment. Man, I thought that after all this time they would have nailed this by now. The DD-6 was so harsh and sterile I couldn't believe it. It had a lot of bells and whistles but it just had no mojo.

10. cmcneil

cmcneil TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    agreed.

ssshhhhh! 8)

11. Florida Sam

Florida Sam TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Another ditto on the analog rack gear. I found an Ibanez UE-405 (Compressor, Analog Delay, Stereo Chorus, Parametric EQ, exatcly like 4 analog pedals in a box, w/ 5 button TS-9 style footswitches and "insta patch" ordering) for $35.00!!! The analog delay in this thing is f-ing incredible with infinite repeats!! I gigged with it the day I got it and everyone was amazed at how orgainc and warm it sounded. I would have to have paid $500+ if these were individual pedals and not in a rack unit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.