Rebuilt DeVille 2x12

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by eedwards, Mar 14, 2019 at 11:12 PM.

1. eedwards

eedwards Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

For some time, I have been wanting another Twin Reverb. It is way more amp than I really need, but I just love those Fender cleans through those big speakers. So I started looking around at lower wattage tube amps. I also wanted an effects loop, which the Twin doesn't have.

I found a DeVille at a local shop and tried it, but didn't really test it out well. After spending some time with it, I realized that it did not have the super clean Fender sound that I wanted. It broke up way too soon and had a really muddy sound. I let a well-respected amp tech look at it and he confirmed that it had a few problems.

So, here is what it needed:
    New 6L6 tubes, recap kit with plate resistors, replace filter & bias caps, resolder power tube sockets, dress leads, bias tubes. Also had him put a 12AU7 in place of one of the 12AX7s. I spent way more than I wanted to, but still a couple hundred less than new and I have a great amp.

After the first few minutes with it, I could only describe the sound as "Glorious." I sat and played it for hours that first day back. All of the cleans that I could want and it gives me everything I was looking for in the Twin Reverb. I'm not a fan of the gain channel, but I that clean channel takes my pedals to new heights. I really love this amp.

The DeVille is the amp that I knew existed, but I always overlooked. I'm a big fan now!

anthrotony likes this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Band mate has a DeVille. We both like it more and more with each gig. Broad, versatile amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.