Rebuilding a '65 SG

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tigger, Oct 21, 2017.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Somebody had fun with a home recording studio.. Rob, a very eclectic version of a classic!:lol::lol:

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I love the stacked comparison betweEn old and new. Looks as though your repairs to the old gave you a deeper reach at the heel of the neck. What a great job you did. I really miss my '65 SG. It had the best neck and ease of play of almost any on my Gibsons (the '59 LP GT had it beat though).

3. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

A deconstructed version! For some reason I think it must have been fun to watch live.

4. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Well. The case is stripped and yes, it still smells. But I imagine I can be rather rough with cleaning now and both leaving it out in the sun and perhaps clearning it with vintegar will help. It already had water in it, I left for maybe 30 seconds to look for a screwdriver while I was sanding it on the balcony with the little helper, but while I was gone he decided wet sanding is the right way and poured a gallon of water into it..

Incidentally, I got a reply from a lady from TKL asking for more photos, Cedar Creek forwarded my request. If they have a match I'd probably choose that over the ebay purchases. What do I do with 2 extra lengths of horrible orange case lining?!

I believe the new heel is exactly as it originally was. I started by getting as many photos of early '65 heels as I could find and then I tried to estimate the thickness and length of the "lip" and added a slice of mahogany in the correct orientation and of the correct length. I think there might be some variation between the original speciments but once I couldn't make my mind whether it should be a touch longer, shorter, or thicker, I decided it was just right!

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

You could make “Period Hats”.....

preactor, AAT65 and tigger like this.
  6. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

I think a matching sport coat would look swell!

All kidding aside, Great job tigger and thank you for your inspiration.

tigger and Barncaster like this.
  7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

My experience with skunk cases - the case might have been glued with hide glue that went rancid. No cure. I've had 3 different TKL cases from Martin Guitars that all stunk no matter what I did. Martin took them back and said the whole lot (made in Mexico) stunk. I was afraid it would permeate into the acoustic 1955 O-15 mahogany guitar. Fabreze, static cling dryer sheets, and room freshener did nothing to kill the scent.

8. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

Didn’t have the greatest light but here you go.

Sorry it took a few extra days

Attached Files:

Barncaster and tigger like this.
  9. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Thanks! I think yours is different - I've seen that on fender Custom Shop cases, the SG case lining is not as pretty, it only changes the reflections where you swipe it to one or other side, if you know what I mean.

10. Telemarx

Telemarx Tele-Meister

Well done, you should be extremely proud of your handiwork. Thank you for sharing!

tigger likes this.
  11. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I imagine this is not from that, though I've never smelled rancid hide glue. The glue is definitely water soluble so I imagine it's a possibility.. I'll actually try cleaning it with vinegar (the glue) to wipe it off and send after.

12. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

I just discovered this thread. Wow, what a story and project! Well done Tigger!

I have a 64 SG that the previous owner modified (mangled). I bought it when I was in high school in 1973 and didn't know any better. I have undone a couple of the mods to improve playability. One day I would like to take on a full cosmetic restoration. Your story is inspiring!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Barncaster and tigger like this.
  13. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Try putting the case in an enclosed space with an ozone/O3 generator. O3 does pretty good at killing bad odors.

14. Barncaster

I’m still waiting for my Period Hat to arrive in the mail Tigger. Every time I wear it people will know to give me a wide berth. I think you’ve started a whole new societal technology to non-verbally let people know the mood you’re in. Brilliant!

15. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I believed I was going to be a very rich person but just before placing an order for a 63 foot wooden ketch to be delivered to Saint Tropez I checked if I'm indeed the first with the idea and it sadly turned out I'm not and you can buy your period hats for instance here: https://www.wellemahatco.com/period-hats

Barncaster likes this.
  16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Now that we know its not in original condition we can only offer you $300 for it.

Barncaster, cactusrob and tigger like this.
  17. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

What an offer! If I understand this ad correctly, due to Gibson bankruptcy this dude is willing to take your instrument older than 10 years for free: https://www.anibis.ch/fr/d-musique-...x?siac=1&fts=gibson&sf=dpo&so=d&view=2&fcid=0

I'm afraid my French isn't good enough to understand whether it's a joke or the dude is thinks someone may fall for it.

18. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Got a local CL guy saying now that Gibson is outta biz buy his....

19. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

So I didn't start making period hats, but I just as well could have with the lining I got. So I'm still searching for it :(

Mudman32 likes this.
  20. Barncaster

I’m up for one Tigger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.