Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tigger, Oct 21, 2017.
Man I'm late to this party. Great work Tigger.
Saved you some cake.
This is one of the most inspiring threads in this forum.
There ya go Rex!
Selling a pre-broken headstock is a great idea! So, when you have to repear it again is not reducing the value of the instruments. From now on, we can sell a broken headstock Gibson as "carefully reliced in al the minimum details"
I'm afraid you are being overly kind. In fact, I'd never embark on this have I not spent the past decade reading build threads here!
The weather isn't great, humidity in the 80's. I'm still putting the base lacquer layer on. Once it's sufficiently built up I'll continue with R&F guitar neck lacquer. I'm not really sure what the actual difference is but it feels great as it doesn't stick at all.
But the beer's all gone.
Man, I just got home to find the beer is all gone
According to Yeknom, the cake is strictly for throwing... I think he’s been hanging out with Marie too much...0
Just so long as it’s only cake he and his minions are flinging . . .
Even more inspiring to see this - there may be hope for me yet (I work also work in software)!
Absolutely great work on the SG!
Rain and rain. We're leaving today for more than a week so there won't be any updates for some time. I put the headstock under UV for a few hours to turn it amber.
I will need to do the same to the binding to match up old binding color with new binding color. I need to be rather conservative because the existing lacquer did not age that much, the guitar has been clearly kept in case much of it's life, being more red than my '04 that's been out of it's case for much of it's life.
Tigger your work is terrific.
I can't get grain filler so here's my tip. I store the wood shavings of Mahogany in a glass sealed jar.
When I need it I use a dab of Titebond and some shavings. blends in perfectly, you can sand it and colour it when dry.
You sir have done a mind-blowing job. I can't wait to see the finished article.
Looking good, Tigger. You are doing great work - a meticulous craftsman. Can't wait to see the finished product.
I tried to fix the vibrola tear-outs, but to be honest I probably made it worse. It was filled with some red substance and now it isn't anymore, but the lacquer in it is too dark. You'll see in final pictures, but this was the process:
Then I painted the wood to match, and brushed-on red lacquer twice, which was once too much. I covered it with a lot of clear brushed-on, but it didn't really melt into the old lacquer that perfectly.
Polished neck. I'm going for a finish that matches the rest of the body and doing a little less thorough sanding as I would on a new guitar seems to give me just that. Shiny, but a scratch here and there..
Fretwork took me about three evenings:
Next I found left-over overspray on the body. I'm not sure what it is, but it's really hard. It took me maybe 2 hours with sandpaper to get it off.
It wasn't too bad though, I had the guitar with me during a short trip to the south side of the Alps so I spent most of the sanding time talking to friends. And not-sanding time baking pizza in a hundreds of years old huge bread oven:
Rothko&Frost neck lacquer. It feels really really great. Best thing on a neck there can be for me.
Rebuilt neck joint. Some of the old scars still present.
Making mahogany plugs for pickup ring holes:
And in they go:
The neck ring is original, the bridge is after-market, but not one of the $70 M69 ones. I had to sand it down since it's supposed to be only 3/8" thick, like a middle one on a custom.
Electronics back in and I just realized that among the sack of pots of all types the only one I'm missing is a short shaft 500k pot, like the one that was broken... I really could have checked earlier but I thought I had so many and forgot they are almost all long shards or 250k.
Finished fretboard, I really love it: