Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rebuilding a '65 SG

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tigger, Oct 21, 2017.

1. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    I read the same, pretty sure it was one of the artist models.

2. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    Barncaster likes this.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

4. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    They didn't mention it in the spec, but it's there in the pics. Part of the relicing to make it look exactly like the original guitar. It only appears on the 'aged' model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barncaster likes this.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Ahh, yes, now I see. Thank you for the clarification. Strange that they went to the trouble to create this feature, then say nothing about it in the write up. Maybe they considered it kind of an “Easter egg”?

6. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    With the inclusion of the "simulated neck break" I believe we have officially reached the pinnacle of the phony relic phenomenon.

Barncaster and LocoTex like this.

7. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

Yeah why bother it will be there for real soon enough

8. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

It doesn't include painted-on dowels, I'm not buying that guitar!!

9. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

OK. So some progress, hopefully more this weekend.

More painting of the new wood to match:

[​IMG]
    I have high hopes for it.

Sanding off the black overspray from the old repair. Look at the sanding rings, I don't think the black paint was nitrocellulose lacquer:

[​IMG]

And if you ever doubted this is a completely shoestring operation, here I present to you the spray booth:

[​IMG]

I sprayed a layer to seal it before grain-filling, works really well. You put your hand in a rubber glove through the hole, spray, take it out and cover it all with one more layer of the green plastic sheet. No smell, I don't even need to wear a respirator, although I will in case there is a bigger leak.

Barncaster, naneek and darkforce like this.

10. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I mixed grain filler from pumice, boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits with dark mahogany aniline dye, and a bit of cherry lacquer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heel:

[​IMG]

Tonetele, naneek, dr_tom and 7 others like this.

11. Pickin N Grinin

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    The neck is looking great! I actually kind of don't mind the couple dowels showing. They're like witness marks from a past life. Reminds me of a line from an old Robert Redford movie "Jeremiah Johnson" where the old mountain man (Will Geer) says to Jeremiah "You've come far pilgrim, were it worth the trouble?" I'd say yes it was.

coonhollow greg likes this.

12. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I'm kind of looking at the grain fill and wonder if it's enough. I put really little lacquer in it and I probably should have put more, I'm thinking about putting one more layer on it before it dries completely. Could end in a disaster too, but worst case I scrub it out and try again?

13. Pickin N Grinin

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    Probably depends on the end result you're looking for. If it is a shiny, smooth, gloss finish you want, maybe it would require a bit more grain filler to prevent the lacquer from being drawn as much into the pores of the wood. If you're ok with a bit of grain apparent to the touch maybe it can just be hit with more coats of lacquer. I've seen factory Gibson's done both ways. It seems lately they spend less time grain filling on the lower priced instruments painted with the semi-gloss finishes. I'm certainly no Gibson expert but I think that the older Gibson's would have had the grain filled to allow a smooth glossy finish.

14. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I filled it again, this time with more lacquer in the grain filler. We'll see. I could also spray a few clear coats before putting the cherry coats on, but the original had no sanding sealer, I believe, because there was cherry lacquer in the pores but the pore-filler itself was walnut. The oiled/filled/stained neck looks amazing. I somewhat fear that it will be too dark in the end but I think the lacquer will pull some of the stain out of the wood.

naneek likes this.

15. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

This looks spot on I think, without having unpacked the rest of the guitar. It was a little less yellow and more cherry than the reference '04 next to it so I think this is pretty good. There will be a little transition between the old and new that I'll go through with sandpaper before I start putting clear on. I feel this cherry is really forgiving compared to for instance amber.

[​IMG]

brownale99, Tezuka27, naneek and 8 others like this.

16. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

If Mr. Dowel didn't insist on the heel dowels of questionable function (since they didn't actually go through into the neck as far as I remember), the heel repair would be almost invisible.

17. Mudman32

Mudman32 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Honestly you’ve worked wonders on that old girl. What’s your day job?

18. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I wonder what you'd expect... I have a doctorate in mathematics (CS theory) but nowadays I mostly write software.

Tonetele, naneek, Barncaster and 3 others like this.

19. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I put two layers of black on the headstock, and started scraping away:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One coat of clear and it looks perfect (forgot to take a photo). But then I noticed the taping interacted with the dings I left in and paint leaked:

[​IMG]

After worrying about the tiny dent I found a big leak in the v of the headstock. I scraped it off, will touch up with cherry lacquer and then clear-coat. It won't be perfect but the headstock had tons of dings that belong on it..

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Tigger,
    If guitars could feel gratitude, this one surely would.
    Rob

robinn, naneek, infiniteposse and 6 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.