Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reasons to buy used gear......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flaneur, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    1. You're cheap. Embrace it!

2. Let the other guy take the depreciation hit. Especially if he doesn't 'bond' with the instrument- and you get it in 'as new' shape.

3. The particular model you want is no longer/not currently made. Exhibits A and B...... the Hot Rod Telecaster and the Les Paul Junior.

4. 'The old stuff was better'. Contentious. A thread, in itself. :)

5. That first ding, scratch, or chip? No longer a problem. Write your name on the instrument, slap on stickers.....it don't matter!

6. Brings fancier guitars down into your price range. Perhaps the best reason of all?

There are probably a dozen more. Mojo? Ha! :cool:

2. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    For me, 1, 2, and sometimes 5 are applicable.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I'm cheap - nearing retirement

I'm also working, no need to buy fancy new bootiful stuff that I'm just going to beat to hell and drag thru a war. And nobody but other guitarists will even notice...

And, there are days when I dont really think my abilities warrant such an extravagance.

drlucky, Minimalist518 and Jimmy Owen like this.

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    They are all variations on #1. Embrace it!

Minimalist518 and rich815 like this.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Better for the environment, it's already been made & shipped so the "sunk costs" so to speak for materials and energy that go in to production, shipping, packaging, etc. need not be repeated. You also don't need to dispose of yet another set of boxes etc, unless you have something shipped, which I avoid whenever possible on both ends of the transaction.

You are helping someone or someones out, many folks can't afford to get B unless they sell A. often times if A is a common or low-cost item, trading or selling to a for profit business, is not going to get it done. If you buy for a more reasonable price they can move the equation along..often helping someone else sell A to get B..

You can trade at a more equitable value, trading a new item is a sure way to take a bath, used for used is often a no loss scenario. (chain saws excluded)

Many items come w/ a decent set up, small shops or thoughtful individuals often do a nice job, dialing things in on at least a basic level.

You meet interesting people, while every one runs into their share of difficult people. I find that most people are easy to work with and often have a interesting back story or tale to share.

You can always claim you "got it at the thrift" or "found in the trash" (use that last one sparingly) especially if your new prize is a little rough, "guy at work gave it to me" is also occasionally useful,, to deflect probing inquiry.

6. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Guitars I'll buy new, or used. But electronics, like pedals, and amps I'll buy new for the warranty. Unless we are talking about vintage amps.

7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    All but 4. Rules to live by.

8. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Guitar necks generally get their warping out of their system in the first five years. I'm gonna take the guitar to a lot of parties so I don't care if it has scratches.

9. R00STER

R00STER TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    US
    To me, it seems like pedals are the LEAST risky to buy used. They are indestructable little metal boxes and not a lot can go wrong. They either work or don't pretty much, right? And they are the LEAST expensive of the items being discussed.

10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I decided long ago not to buy a guitar new. I have one that I bought new, everything else is used. And terrific! I've gotten some wonderful deals over the years.

drlucky, djh22 and Nickadermis like this.

11. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I've bought only one new and it was the blowout triple tele that was under $400...yeah I follow many of these rules and not just for guitar stuff

12. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think about it like buying a car. When you buy a guitar for $1500, the minute you take it out of the store, its now worth $900. I would rather wait and find something I dig on the used market and let somebody else pay the cost of depreciation. Just my .02

Minimalist518 likes this.

13. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I always go used because I've been able to purchase some gear that is just a bit out of reach financially when new with the budget I have. I have also been able to buy a few more items with Less money overall to make my little collection. Plus I like that my gear all has different back stories and has seen different things. I'm just the next chapter in those stories.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I've yet to see a need for new. When I came back to playing after a long hiatus I bought used to minimize exposure. I bought used since then because I could always find incredible instruments in my price range. I brought my Mesa Boogie amp off the floor for less than a used one when the spec changed. I bought a Simon and Patrick acoustic that I could never have even found new. I don't know what my next guitar will be or if there will even be one but I know for sure that if I get one it will be an incredible find just like the others. What could I have gotten new for these prices?

Nashville Tele $400
    Gretsch Anniversary $1200
    SG with a high gloss finish 490R &T dots $600
    Am STD Strat $839
    Mess Boogie Express 5:25 $740
    Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood $700

All very very good to excellent. All better than off the wall at GC. How can you justify new unless you just have to have something that just came out?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

15. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I almost always by pedals used because you can get great deals. I’ve bought pedals for half the new price that are indistinguishable from new, other than maybe missing the box and manual.

16. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    Without paying for the initial depreciation and taxes, you're saving at least 20-25%.

17. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    I like them used - then I don't feel precious about them.
    I think I play better on older guitars.
    Being cheaper is just a bonus, put playability is tops.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    All 6 apply and I fanatically embrace them all. I was raised to be a professional consumer, so, I'm not stupid to take that initial depreciation for the life of me. I have never bought a new car either. I'll let those instant gratification losers to take that first hit. I'm that feared lowballer on fleaBay. Patience to find that pedal misspelled in the ad, so it doesn't pop up on searches and I get it for pennies to the dollar in the last 15 seconds. I'm the one that will whine about a little fret sprout, to get that new guitar for $100 off. I pretty much held off 4 months before getting the gear I needed for my recording studio until Black Friday/Cyber Monday and made a killing. I'm that researcher that will dig up that SM57 clone for $20. I could go on ...

drlucky likes this.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I own only one piece of gear I purchased new, my Fishman Loudbox Performer.
    All my other gear was gently used, and I got fantastic deals on all of it.
    I am far from, uh, affluent but I know the music gear business deeply and intimately.
    The Austin area is a great place to shop for used gear!

20. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I cant say any of those, I see apiece of gear that fits where I want to develope it into my system but the newer gear although really cool doesnt have the specs i need to integrate it , and used is usually cheaper, but may require some TLC or repair to bring it back into play!
    EG I used to have a Korg PS 31 00 synth ( prior to midi all analog) but it had a 60 pin out put on the back ( this is the only truly 60 note polyphonic synth at the time , because of that I was able to have a digital sequencer built that would record chords as well as single note capability up to a 1024 events long with a clock to adjust timming, couldnt do that untill midi was developed

korg_ps3100_lg.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.