Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Really looking forward to tonite's gig.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:47 PM.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Tonite I'll be playing with no stage amplification. Small room, with no conventional PA. Performers play totally unplugged, and the performance is picked up by a pair of church choir style condensor mics hung from the ceiling. From there it's piped to Bose wall speakers around the bar.

In honor of the format, I dusted off my favorite acoustic. It hasn't seen the light of day in probably three years. It doesn't see a lot of use because it has no pickup or electronics. Just straight acoustic.

IMG_2057.JPG

My little brother made this for me in the early 00's. I call it a studio jumbo. It's a beautiful sounding guitar, especially for recording. Stupid good balance across the tonal spectrum. Probably the best balanced guitar I've ever heard. It's kind of an OM shape, but slightly adjusted, and super deep. The smaller soundhole makes it very focused. It's also loud.

I've recorded with it several times, and engineers always lose their jaws on the floor. They don't have to do anything to it. It has no overbearing bass or treble, it just sounds perfect.

I'm looking forward to using it in its element tonite. Totally unplugged and raw. I just broke it out and re-strung it, and I can't stop smiling. Every time I don't play it for a while, I forget how great it sounds. I think I remember, but then I hear it. Gonna be a good night.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    That's cool! good luck, I hope it goes well!

Jakedog likes this.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm kind of sweet on my OM sized 1203 Harmony as you well know. So you already owned this one and bought that OOO or OM sized MMV? How do they compare? Can you say anything about the neck on this one?

Wishing you a great set tonight!

Jakedog likes this.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Your brother obviously loved you. That's a great keepsake and heirloom.

Jakedog likes this.

7. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That is awesome!

I bet it is a great night... what a wonderful guitar too. Thx for sharing....

Jakedog likes this.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Good luck....I loves me some smaller-bodied acoustics. My favorite is a Martin 000-17 from the fifties that belongs to an uncle. So, do vocals get picked up by the ceiling-hung mics?

Jakedog likes this.

9. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Yep. Everything picks up. And it sounds great.

Just got done. It was a great night. The room is up a couple of stairs and off the regular barrroom. It has seating in comfy chairs and couches for 12-16 people. It was full. And everyone was quiet and respectful. Cell phones on silent. A great listening environment for a songwriter show. Something this town has sorely needed since the only one shut down last year.

Amazing night. So much fun. Folks down in the regular bar said they could hear great, and I could play as dynamically as I wanted. From whisper quiet to hollering and banging. Whatever the songs needed. I'll be coming back here. A lot.

For those who had questions about the guitar-

Bear claw spruce top, solid Indian rosewood back and sides. One piece mahogany neck, no heel or headstock joints. Ebony fretboard and bridge, ebony bridge pins, ebony headstock overlay. Rosewood fretboard and body binding. I haven't measured it, but it's quite a bit a deeper body than any other acoustic I've owned. With the slightly swollen OM body. X braced, scalloped.

The neck is wide, but not uncomfortably so, fits nice in my hand, and it's speedy. It's a touch thin, but only the slightest hair, and has a nice subtle V profile. It's a dream.

In reference to my Martin 000 MMV, it's quite a bit bigger, and fuller sounding. I love the 000, but this is far more balanced and warm. And it's louder.

10. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice Jake, thanks for the trip report.

Cell phones on silent and playing an unplugged acoustic into a condensor mic with an appreciative audience, very cool. There needs to be more gigs like that.

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.

11. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I totally agree!

12. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    super cool, I love it when a gig just gets back to basics, have fun!
    love that acoustic

Jakedog likes this.

13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Nice! I try to play an acoustic jam every couple of weeks. I find playing acoustic and flat-picking on bluegrass tunes helps my focus and technique.

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.