Really bad Friday job on a GC exclusive FSR butterscotch

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fjrabon, Apr 29, 2019.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

My understanding is that the bridge attachment pilot holes are hand drilled.

2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes you can loosen the four screws and move it around. Just a thought.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Not me, it’s bloody awful and I wouldn’t accept it, even with a hefty discount. I mean, with everything CNC and bodies turned out in nano seconds.

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Define ‘excessive’

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Things can look, or be made to look, really strange with a close-up, perspective shot.

hellopike and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

It's an easy fix...grab it if they knock off some of the price..their tech should fix it.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That's above my pay grade.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, you go to Jazz Festival for a few days, and you get back and everyone is having conniptions.

Ensenada uses power tools to attach the bridge plate. When they put the screw on the far right in first and tighten too much, the whole plate rotates clockwise. This can be corrected within seconds by anyone with guitar tech abilities. Just back all four fasteners off, reposition the plate and retighten BY HAND. Everything is fixed. The World is Saved from Destruction. No child falls into the Abyss and no puppies are harmed.

Question: Did ya'll drink all my alcohol?

DHart, t guitar floyd, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

We're doomed. Doomed. I tell you!!!

davo8411 likes this.
  10. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Unless I'm missing something, I think the bridge is just screwed in wonky. Right? Just rotate it a bit CCW and it should be fine.

11. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

I don’t know if you can rotate it *that much*. I’ve seen it correct a millimeter or so, but unless one of the screws is barely screwed in, I don’t think you have as much adjustment as that would take.

This thread is kind of making my point. Even if it’s a simple fix, a ton of fender fans give fender a 100% pass on QC.

The point is, somebody looked at this guitar and either didn’t notice it (seems impossible given that they have to string it up) or they saw it and said “yeah, sure, this is fine, whoever buys it can fix it.

That’s simply unacceptable and perhaps worse even if it can be fixed, why didn’t they just fix it in QC?

Gibson rightly gets raked over the coals for stuff not even 1/10 as bad as this.

12. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

You can literally see the string through the body hole on the wrong side of the bridge. It’s not a perspective issue.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Did you let L&M know ? usually they will respond to that stuff right away, either fix it or return it,

I have cried over my 78 strat that left the factory with a reversed warped neck, but as it was the only south paw guitar they had at the time I had to get it fixed , and i snivelled about the big guitar manufacturers untill no one wanted to hear it any more.

on second notice take a look at the bridge plate screw far right, its in place properly, the next 3 are slightly out of place indicating the if those screws were loosened and the bridge is re aligned then those screws re-tightend the bridge would fall back into alignment to the left, the bridge has been knocked forward on the left hand side it may have been bumped in transit or handling,

t guitar floyd likes this.
  14. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I've actually seen worse.................

I personally don't know why Fender couldn't have, sometime over the last 70 year or so tweaked the CNC routing of the body OR increased the bridge plate by, I dunno 3-5 % ?

Gary

15. boris bubbanov

If the Butt Crack is offensive, the next larger sized plate is the Callaham for '52. Hipshot has some that'll cover it. And if you want 6 block or bent saddles, virtually all plates cover the butt crack. FMIC has one for some Custom Shop models but it is expensive and hard to get.

The way I see it, if FMIC eliminated the butt crack on all models, then people would lose their minds over the Router Hump. And if that was "solved" they'd lose sleep over the flat spot for the jack cup. On and on; those who cannot be consoled.

Remember, when something is "wrong" with a Gibson, it is something that messes up the use of the guitar and you can't fix it even if you work on it all day.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  16. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate those flipped control FSRs, they are a terrible for another $150, you can get yourself a Baja, or for about $500 cash, a used Baja, much better guitar in every way possible.

Durtdog and bsman like this.
  17. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Quite a few years ago (2013 or 14?) when GC first started offering those, I got GAS, went to my local GC and plugged one in. I was assaulted by the worst hum I’ve ever experienced. I said “WTF?” and plugged an MIM FSR strat into the same amp with the same cord - quiet as a cemetery. Killed my BSB GAS pretty quickly!

Bones likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

We started recommending them a long time ago, when their price was equal to the regular MIM Standard, or maybe $ 50 more and the body in some cases was pretty choice ash, very pretty sometimes, with the bridge we wanted and on some FSRs some decent pickups.

What was really going on was Musicians Friend and GC were making an end run around the MAP rules and just wrecking the competition. Eventually FMIC raised the prices so much, while improving the quality of the basic MIM model so much, it destroyed the whole incentive of the deal. But by then, the Intermess was awash with adulation for the product. Killed by its own success.

And now this means you and I, if we want another Baja, will now have to compete with more people and maybe that used Baja for $ 500 is scarcer than that. I was rather content, not recommending Bajas to everyone since eventually, someone would find something to complain about.

Bones likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't see a lot of great Fenders OR Gibsons at my local shop. I recently played an absolutely perfect, lovely, awesome MIJ Gretsch Jet that cost no more than an USA Pro Tele with a mediocre setup, excess glue out the side of the nut, etc. I don't think Fender QC is as good as a lot of competitors. I have a Lakland '52 type P bass that cost much less and is dead nuts perfect. I haven't seen a pindrop of imperfection on it. We wont mention PRS at every price level... In fact the worst QC per dollar in my book is Gibson then Fender, on average.

20. boris bubbanov

I must say there were several Lakland basses present at Jazz Festival this past weekend. And Partscaster basses, replacement bridges and necks. But every single Electric Bass was either of the P type or J type, or it was an Upright Bass Viol instrument.

[​IMG] One of these Elites in use. Everything else had a rosewood or ebony board. Maple boards just cannot take up the sweat and it accumulates and messes things up IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.