Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"re-learning" to play guitar after stroke

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soul-o, Feb 14, 2016.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I couldn't think of giving you anything but my support and admiration. I have no experience base to try and give you advice. You got this...Bill

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO

3. ComingApart

ComingApart Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2003
    Southern Arkansas
    what a strange bit of fortune, me finding this thread. I suffered a stroke 2 weeks ago myself. i've convinced myself that relearning how to play will be a crucial part of my reHAB. ITS A STRUGGLE AND CAUSE OF MUCH FRUSTRATION RIGHTNOW, BUT IT ALSO HELPS KEEP MY MIND OCCUPIED. AS YOU KNOW LIFE GETS CRAZY WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS.JUST KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT STRUGGLING ALONE OUT THERE. i KNOW THE THOUGHT THAT PEOPLE HAVE, AND CONTINUE TO, OVERCOME THESE SETBACKS HELPS ME KEEP GOING.BEST WISHES TO YOU.
    ON A SIDE NOTE, A VERY DEAR FRIEND OF MINE HAS BEEN HELPING ME OUT AND WORKING WITH ME. i ACTUALLY TAUGHT HIM HIS FIRST FEW CHORDS 20+ years ago and just the other night, he spent several hours with me helping me remember how to make and play G, C, D & chords all over again. it was kinda surreal, but he's been invaluable to me.

I apologize for the sloppy typing and horrible grammar,fine motor skills still need alot of improvement, but i'm working on it......
    my support and encouragement to all you out there struggling with similar issues right now. It's a gonna be a battle, but i'm convinced it's worth fighting.

Paul in Colorado and studio like this.

4. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

It will come back, give it time... Sleep is your friend.

Regaining strength and endurance was the hardest part for me... (I've gone through this 3 times now... 1 time with a stroke, and 2 more times with flu/pneumonia).

Learning to swallow again has been my biggest challenge.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I havent said much but I'm reading this thread and I'm pulling for you.

About ten years ago I had a wrist injury that prevented me from playing for several months. Our band had released a CD right before that, and I couldnt play, so the band died. Anyway, after the cast came off and the docs gave me the ok to start playing, I had to take it one baby step at a time.

I had to buy all new necks for my partsacasters, big things with huge frets and use tiny little strings. Then I had to un-learn a bunch of bad habits, and learn a bunch of new ones, little tricks to avoid full barre chords, all kinds of things.

I was nowhere near what you're having to go thru, however, if I can more or less get back from where I was (I still have issues and cannot practice every day like I used to) then I hope you can get back to a place where you can enjoy playing your guitar.

If your journey is anything like mine was, prepare for days of frustration intermixed with days of small triumphs. Whatever you dont, dont give up. I almost packed it in a few times.

Scrapperz likes this.

6. goport

goport TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    uk
    Sorry to revive this thread but it's very motivating for me right now. Like the OP I too had a two minor strokes that affected my left arm and leg last month. I was lucky that it only affected my walking and the left arm jobs (I am a lefty) writing, typing, picking and strumming. I've had good physio advice: play guitar standing up for 60 minutes a day, get plenty of exercise and stop doing unhealthy things. Consequently I can walk 90% normally now, I still limp but if I concentrate I can even hide that.

The arm is a little slower - it still doesn't feel like part of my body but I can just about write and hold a pick now. And I can get a tune out of a guitar just about. It's the picking and rhythm that needs all the work - and that is going to be the slow progress part. I have lost the funk! Luckily I have our sound tech depping for me in my band right now and I hope to return by the end of the year all being well.

These strokes only affected me superficially compared to others that have lost their sight, hearing, power of speech or mobility. I have been so fortunate that if the guitar playing never comes back fully I can live with that. Though god knows what I will spend all my money on!

As my doctor says "be well, look after yourself so this doesn't happen again"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.