Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[Re-]Installing That Freaking Vintage Jack & Cup

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Anchoret, May 8, 2010.

1. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2004
    California
    Is there a convenient photo-FAQ on doing this?

I have two FJ RI basses that are always having this mess fall apart, right out of the box and forever after.

On one, the anchor was clearly installed BACKWARDS at the factory, but I also think there are some missing parts from the assembly to begin with. I don't want to tear apart my various MIA Telecasters in which the cups are good and stable just to see how they're done, either.

No, I don't want to replace these with modern upgrades of different designs because they reduce mojo by 38% as everyone knows.

Many thanks for pointing me to a good guide on this!

2. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2003
    SoCal

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have the Stewmac tool and it works very well.

The Electrosocket is a better design, but (unlike most people :eek:) I just think the standard cup - or a Rutters or Glendale machined cup - looks better.

4. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Get the Rutters shallow jack cup and you can use a right-angled plug in it. Plus it looks really good. No more Electrosockets for me.

5. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2004
    California
    [sigh!]

I knew Stew-Mac would have something you couldn't do it without that cost a bunch of dough. Actually, this doesn't seem to address the exact problem I'm having, either. The anchor plates are in for keeps. I think Dyna improvised this and left something out.

I used to enjoy corresponding with Erlewine many years back and there were two things that I really liked about him:

1: He was very generous with his knowledge and, incredibly, he was willing to learn from others, and

2: He had maximum dis for $pecial tools, and magical substances and made his own from readily-available stuff wherever possible. He was worse than I am about it, and I will never in this lifetime buy from $tew-Mac. I remember a bunch of guys talking about what pricey, go-faster crap they used to clean something or other in guitar maintenance, trying desperately to one-up each other, and Dan said, "I just use spit. It works fine."

:D

I was completely stunned to find him flogging all this stuff for $tew-Mac. It was like a total Sign of the Apocalypse, like the pod people had come from space and replaced Dan with an evil replicant.

I'm still not sure they haven't.

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Pod people or not, much of the stuff on Stew Mac are things that luthiers would build as part of their apprenticeship before getting to cut real wood in anger. It ain't that I can blame them for that, baby needs shoes and there are buyers who want to get right to the guitar building part. But one of the reasons they have such clever and elegantly designed tools to sell is the many generations of real luthiers designing and building their own tooling.

But Dan himself is old school, need a tool, make a tool. Need it more than once or twice make a really cool tool.

Oh, when you clean things with it, it ain't called spit. Art restorers use and charge for "a mild enzymatic solution."

7. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2004
    California
    Was

Absolutely. That was Dan.

I totally understand, too. He'd look at a problem, in about forty seconds visualize what the tool would have to do and what it would look like, head for his junkpile, make some sparks and grinding noises and come back with the tool in about twenty minutes while the tool geeks and Stew-Mac groupies were still getting all comfy with their well-thumbed catalogs.

It's about getting the job done.

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hey, if you're feeling like MacGyver go for it. You can make your own jack installation tool with a carriage bolt, a nut and some spacers. There are instructions in a thread on this forum, originally posted by Ole Fuzzy.

Read the StewMac instructions; it's simple stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.