Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ray Flacke rhythm part

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by TeleHawg, Aug 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM.

1. TeleHawg

TeleHawg Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Waterville, Maine
    Would anyone care to take a stab at explaining Mr. Flacke's clucking rhythm figure here:

It sounds to me like a tritone with some single-string stuff thrown in.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

2. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west
    thats easy..its tele magic..

strat54 likes this.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    It's a standard country "electric" rhythm technique... been used for ages by James Burton, Roy Nichols, Albert Lee, Ray Flacke, Brent Mason, etc... etc.... It's just a percussive attack of double stops (partial chords) that locks tightly with the bass and drums but doesn't take up too much space in the mix.

Why don't we just let one of the masters explain it :D...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    strat54 likes this.

4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't think you mean tritone. A tritone is an interval of three whole steps, specifically a diminished 5th, eg: Bb to E, or E to Bb. I believe you are referring to a triple stop (three-note chord.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    strat54 likes this.

5. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca

6. TeleHawg

TeleHawg Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Waterville, Maine
    "I don't think you mean tritone" -- yes, I do: the third and flatted seventh.

strat54 likes this.

7. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ok, in the context of "tritone with some single-string stuff thrown in" I figured you meant a three note chord, because I hear more than just the third and b7. Sorry for doubting your terminology.

strat54 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.