Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rattle cans to use under nitro?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 21frets, Jan 1, 2013.

1. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Wichita KS
    what are good rattle cans to use under a nitro coat? i'm doing a paisley and need to (rattle can) paint the edges of the body.

2. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    Rust-oleum painters touch spray paints are great quality and work well with lacquers in my experience. I've used their cans as a base coat for a bass (under lacquer), and a complete finish for a guitar. Both projects came out looking great!

3. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Wichita KS
    Sounds good!

4. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Got any pics??

5. 20721

20721 Former Member

Sep 28, 2012
    San Diego
    I use them too and love their colors, but do be aware that they are enamels, and you need to be VERY light with your initial coats lest they absorb solvent and crack, especially if your topcoat is nitro.

I let the color coat sit for a week before applying the clear, that seems to help as well. But still, about one time in five something goes bad and then you gotta sand it all off and start over.

6. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Wichita KS
    any that you dont have such a hard time with when it comes to putting lacquer on it?

7. Thinlineggman

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used acrylic lacquer on the bass for the color, then nitro for the clear. The painters touch primer is what I used as the base coat.

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    DupliColor touch up paints come as acrylic lacquers in rattle cans.

Lots of colors on the shelf.

Lots more available.

O'Reilly, Autozone, NAPA, places have the stuff and can get you just about any color you want.

9. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Afflicted

Here is anouther rust-oleum job.
    [​IMG]

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    FWIW almost all lacquers sold as "nitro" are acrylic blends - i.e. acrylic lacquer. Pure nitrocellulose lacquer is very difficult to manufacture (a huge fire hazard) and has little resistance to cracking when dry.

That's why most of the guitar manufacturers shifted to acrylic lacquers in the 50's (the auto "paint" Fender used on custom color instruments was usually acrylic lacquer from the auto parts store,

Is there a problem finding the color you want in lacquer? One huge advantage in applying clear lacquer over pigmented lacquer is that the coats melt into each other and become seamless. With enamel color coats the gloss lacquer has little mechanical or chemical adhesion, and sudden temperature changes can really wreak havoc on the clear coat.

11. Thinlineggman

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    Yup, I knew that. The can I used for clear said nitro on the side so I just said that it was nitro in my post. The cans that I used for color were advertised as acrylic lacquer, which is essentially the same as modern nitro lacquers. It has hairline cracks, fades with UV exposure and wears away easily with play time. Just like nitro is supposed to do. Acrylic just comes in more colors and is more readily available.

It's good for people to understand that the two are pretty much the same and will play nicely with each other.

12. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Wichita KS
    What brand "nitro" lacquer do y'all use?

13. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Wichita KS
    What brand of "nitro" lacquer do you all use then?

14. Thinlineggman

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    Minwax is good.

15. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Afflicted

+1

16. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Duplicolor is good for colors, but I wasn't crazy about the clear. Minwax works well. Lowe's has a Valspar clear lacquer that's cheaper than Minwax. I picked up a can to shoot over Duplicolor silver metallic, but I want to wait until it gets warmer.

Use caution if you're going to put nitro over enamel. They don't seem to play well together. If it were me, I'd use a barrier coat of shellac between the enamel and nitro.

17. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Wichita KS
    The minwax you refer to, is that the minwax clear brushing lacquer?

18. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    Yes, and it comes in both a regular can or a spray can. The cans are black. Home Depot sells it for about $8 a can.

I use Duplicolor acrylic lacquer for color. The larger cans are cheaper but limited in color. Since I only have done black so far (4 guitars), it's not limited me. They also make smaller cans of "Perfect Match" in far more colors. I have yet to find any color charts for Perfect Match. I'd love to do a Fiesta or Olympic or Surf, but have bought small touch up sticks to fix a scratch and they're not even close.

19. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2012
    Wichita KS
    I have the colortone pigment colors i got from stew mac for over all coloring (and a spray rig), but for fine touching the edges of the guitar i plan on using rattle cans.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.