Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rattle can finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 1bad914, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    That's better polish than the "car polish" I was talking about. When most mention "Rubbing compound" they mean the paste junk that comes in a flat metal container for 8 bucks or so. The stuff you used is detail-type polish and fairly close to the Colortone products.

The cloth spinners are ok but create an awful lot of swirls if you're not extremely careful - and I don't suggest the sponge pads ever. I you are going to do much finishing you'll get far better (and faster!) results from a cheap bench-mount buffer with cloth wheels. Harbor Freight sells them. The caveats with any buffing wheel is to use only ONE compound on any wheel and change them fairly often.

The ones you used are shot now and will probably scratch anything else you try to use them on.

2. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

The guitar looks fantastic. Congrats

3. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    What went wrong?

4. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2012
    Morgan, Vermont
    Nice finish on your guitar!
    A gorgeous finish can be had with a rattle can. My first attempt was with metallic lacquer. IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4208.JPG Proper surface prep,building the finish, and patient sanding will get the results.
    My second attempt was a clear lacquer gloss finish. IMG_7983.JPG IMG_7988.JPG

Now I'm addicted. Next came Surf Green, then Shell Pink.............

1bad914 likes this.

5. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    The prep is the key, if the surface is a train wreck then the paint job will be the same. I always have said that painting a car was 90% prep, 5% skill and 5% luck. You could say the same for guitars.

6. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    I just didn’t have the patience, I rushed it. It looks good, but not factory.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.