Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rattle can finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 1bad914, Sep 12, 2017.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I had a telecaster kit body that was sitting on a shelf unfinished. Decided to try a rattle can paint job. I have painted many cars, so I thought I would see if I could do this with cans. IMG_4732.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

2. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    The binding was done very poorly so I used a 1/8 inch round over bit and cleaned it up. Then used some body filler to cleans up some areas. 4 coats of high build primer. Wet sand to 400 grit. IMG_4725.JPG

3. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    The next step was 7 coats of rustoleum 2X Ocean Mist gloss paint. Image1505243639.685142.jpg

4. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    The end result. IMG_4733.JPG

5. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I just used a rustoleum enamel on my strat this summer (far left guitar in my pic), followed by rustoleum ultra clear enamel or something like that......turned out great. I had to let it cure for 5 weeks before wet sanding and buffing but hey, I had time :)

Turned out great man, I love that color and yeah I used some kind of 2x blue on mine!

6. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan

7. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan

8. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I was surprised how flat it turned out. I will most likely wet sand it and either clear coat it or use wipe on poly. I tested the poly on a test spray. It worked well.

9. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    If its pretty flat, I wouldn't wet sand that color coat if your going to spray over it....no need to.

I really like that color, I may have to refinsh my refinish!

10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I used that color on a squier thinline refin.
    The body was a little beat up to begin with, so I relic'd it a little.
    I hit it with some 0000 steel wool, then finished with a few coats of tru oil. I liked the results (and sold the guitar) so I'm planning to do it again soon.

11. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    It is darkening up as it dries. It was as close to Sea Foam green that I could find. Well, I only looked in one store.

12. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    I just did one myself! Wish I'd had the patience you had! :oops:

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I used to handle tech support for Rust-Oleum

Enamels generally darken as they dry. And nothing...ever...matches a color card. Color cards are ink, paint is...paint. The pigments re radically different and affected differently by various types of light, so color cards are just approximations.

Wet sanding enamel generally does nothing but smooth the surface. Even working up to 10,000 (yes, there *is* 10,000 in micromesh-type sanding cloths) and polish it will never reach high gloss once sanded at all. Once you have broken the natural leveling (where pigments are below the resin) you permanently have exposed pigment. This fouls the gloss. It also will likely start rubbing off on clothes at some point if not clear coated.

Enamel is a very poor guitar finish IMO. It has very limited abrasion, solvent and impact resistance, and the colors shift quickly when exposed to UV light. It's also easily stained by water or pretty much any liquid, so keep it dry. And *do not* ever clean anything near it with a product that contains ammonia - many cleaners (and all Windex-type products) contain it and they will quickly discolor the finish. Even so they yellow quite a bit over time. Nature of the beast.

You could have let it dry just a few days unless you applied it too heavily. 5 weeks "cure time" does nothing with this stuff - it cures by evaporation and oxidation, both of which happen quickly.

I suggest topcoating only with a polyurethane - an enamel-type clear will have the same durability problems and can't be sanded or you lose the gloss. But whatever you decide to use make sure to apply some of the Painter's Touch on a test board and topcoat there first. The PT is so chemically reactive it may discolor or wrinkle under some polyurethanes. And I'd avoid wipe-on types - too inconsistent.

Good luck!

14. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    With all due respect, rustoleum clear enamel sands just fine (this is wet sanded to 2000 grit and buffed with turtle wax medium rubbing compound ) and it's hard enough for me. 20170509_214809.jpg

1bad914 likes this.

15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Me too. And I scoured the town and looked all over the interwebs. Reranch would've gotten me closer, but I liked rustoleum's $6 pricetag better.

It's a great color, though! Everyone who saw mine instantly loved it :)
    Is it gonna be a toploader?

16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It may well be fine for you. But the hardness, impact resistance and solvent resistance are still very low compared to other finishes, which is why I don't recommend it. Those are inherent issues with enamels. I've seen far too many problems after a guitar is in use for a while.

As far as the gloss, you can polish it like that as Turtle wax adds a reflective resinous film. It's not the gloss of the material and wears off.

17. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    The wet sanding would be only for flattening, I would not try to polish it. I think I am going to use wipe on poly. I have had great luck with it in the past. Thanks for the input though. I learned a ton.

Grux likes this.

18. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    Wet sanded it flat with 600 wet. Looks okay. Will let it dry a couple hours and put a coat of wipe on poly on it. Not sure why my phone camera bleeds the color out so bad. It looks grey. IMG_4738.JPG

19. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    It has dried to a really nice Seafoam green. I have always loved this color, especially on early beetles.

20. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    This is after 8 coats of wipe on poly. At first I was miffed about the amber color. It has started to grow on me. Looks aged. You can see the difference on the hanging neck board. IMG_4746.JPG

kkphoto likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.