Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rat's nest of a Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Diverted, Oct 23, 2018.

1. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister Double Platinum Supporter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    I sincerely hope the original builder didn't fry himself making this...uh...amp.

2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    You want it to look like this...

[​IMG]

Not this....

[​IMG]

theprofessor, robrob, DCW74 and 4 others like this.
  3. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Designing and building an amp based on the control-names of an fsbo faceplate is an intriguing idea.

SSL9000J likes this.
  4. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Better yet, just give the controls random meaningless names.

fACEPLATE.jpg

rob2, Mexi-Tele Blues, ecoast and 9 others like this.
  5. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    I knew it! I got a swatch of that exact cloth off a Hammond and put it on an amp head I built a few months ago. It's great stuff, wish I could get more. 39575587_1870174033050588_4263174371822010368_n.jpg

schmee, SSL9000J and BobbyZ like this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I like the idea of adjustable skank. I mean sure I loves me some skank. But sometimes it'd be handy to dial it down a bit, like for family events.

robrob, schmee, Mr Ridesglide and 4 others like this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    oh come on, don't be so judgemental. Everybody starts somewhere, and they often start with little knowledge. We learn by doing. Whoever built this amp had the courage to build an amp. He may not have had advanced knowledge aboutn every detail of amp building, but he built an amp that works.

Jeru and BobbyZ like this.
  8. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    Yeah, my first few efforts were pretty bad too!

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Yeah no one was born knowing everything.

BopT likes this.
  10. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2006
    Chicago
    Right on, Jhundt.

jhundt likes this.
  11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It had been previously identified as a kit. And it's a valid example of not doing minimal research before assembling it AND not following the layout included with a kit. So I'm "judgmental" - and three people judge ME.

I agree we all have to start somewhere, but this is a very poor example of how to start. Not even the bare-bones assembly layout was followed. Sorry, but I do not consider it fair to jump me alone for pointing it out specifics about kit building when others called it "spaghetti" and a "rat's nest" and were left alone - why, because they didn't mention anything about electronics?

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    easy, friend - it was not a personal attack. You are a great TDPRI friend and a truly knowledgeable source here. If you felt that I was attacking you personally, please accept my heart-felt apology. That was mot my intention.

I know nothing about the amp, the builder, or the kit. I do know that I built many things that were wrong! I just recently rebuilt and amp that I built around 1995. I built it with scrap parts, and based it on a Vox AC-30 schematic. It fired up first time, and I used it for 5 years in weekly rehearsals and many live performances. But when I went to rebuild it (purely out of boredom, not because of any failure) I was SHOCKED at how poorly I had built it in the beginning. I had no idea, then, of lead dress. My soldering technique was horrible, my choice of components was based solely on availability. BUT - that amp worked, and sounded great.

So in that post I did not mean to insult you; I meant to encourage others to start, to build, to make mistakes, and to learn from them. And I hope - and expect - that they will learn a lot from YOU.

robrob, Silverface and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  13. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    No judgement from me. Definitely very little thought or care put into this amp, no question, and shoddy workmanship all around. That said, my first attempts were not pretty either!

SSL9000J likes this.
  14. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    If the quality is poor because it was constructed by an unskilled novice, it's forgivable. If, on the other hand, it's because of laziness, apathy, and poor attitude... well they just deserve a slap across the face with a moist trout.

Diverted likes this.
  15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Or with some minor editing:

Orange-controls-web.jpg

16. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Maybe somewhere in between, that looks down right OCD!

Diverted likes this.
  17. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I hadn't looked inside an old Fender chassis in a while. I had mostly pondered my own builds and builds of others here on TDPRI, along with David Hoffman's builds and layouts, which are the quintessence of an OCD vibe, with all the right angles. Then the other day, I took out my Deluxe Reverb chassis to have a look at something. I was thinking of taking out the electrical socket and ground switch in the back of the amp and putting a mid control where the switch was. I decided not to, because I didn't want to re-do the power wiring, as it hadn't been touched since '76. But I couldn't help but notice my self-righteous :)) reaction to the lead dress and such. The horror! It's really cool to take in all the Shock Brothers expertise around here. It definitely makes for better, more reliable builds. But this reminded me that some of the best-sounding amps in the world were built around what @schmee calls the "in between." And that's pretty fun to realize.

18. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    But hey, if you guys are taking applications to the OCD layout club, here's my latest... a Princeton Reverb chassis built on David Hoffman's layout.

IMG_0592.JPG

rob2, RLee77, SSL9000J and 1 other person like this.
  19. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    E6C8C57D-E505-4DEE-88E9-EBA0F994D0EC.jpeg Here’s some more OCD fun. This is an amp I built a few months ago. Fender Deluxe 5E3 output and preamp stages, Princeton power rail and reverb with extra gain stage, Ampeg Jet tremolo. I am as OCD as they come!:lol:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    bblumentritt, rob2 and FenderLover like this.
  20. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    Can’t get much cleaner than Hoffman boards!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.