Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

RAT or RAT clones? What's the dirt nowadays?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by backalleyblues, Dec 6, 2017.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Howdy all!

I think my original '86 Blackface RAT is dying (weird whistling, almost feedback sound whenever it's turned on). Naturally, I love that pedal, and would never get rid of it, but I also fear that it's time is almost up... :(

So, with all the zillions of choices out there, what is the most accuRATe RAT out there to my old '86? I know there's the Whiteface, but it appears that it's not readily available anymore. Any specific models that you would recommend? For the record, it's Tele->RAT>SFSR with the amp set clean... I also set gain about 10 o'clock, filter 3o'clock and volume 2o'clock... basically mimicing a plexi Marshall crunch sound...

Thanks in advance,
    Franc Robert

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    GFS Brownie was mentioned here as being an exact clone, except for one resistor -- and this has now supposedly been corrected at the factory. I have one and it sounds great, but I don't have a Rat to compare with it.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I've been using a 89 Rat2. Have you tried any contact cleaner on the jacks, switch and pots to see what that would do? Might be worth a shot. Check the inside to see if you see anything out of order. Platefire
    IMG_20170504_203702378.jpg

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The "wrong" resistor is in the circuit purposefully. It's a Rat with more sizzle on tap, if one wants it. I generally prefer it to other rat clones I've used

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I recommend getting your old Rat repaired. The circuit doesn’t “wear out”, but the mechanical bits do. It might just need a new stomp switch. Check pots and jacks, look for loose wiring inside.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    1955 likes this.

8. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    A good ol’ original Rat will do. I love my 90’s Rat2.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The RAT pedal is on my list to try someday.
    Since I have a couple of DS-1s (I like stacking them to get that boutique-pedal-like number of knobs), maybe you want to try one out as a fill-in while you get your RAT repaired. Maybe you already have one and just need to tweak the knobs a bit (the video here could have used a little more time to make exact matches but there is a lot of similarity it seems).

Staypuft1652 likes this.

10. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I'd get your Rat pedal repaired. I'm still using an 80s Rat and it's going strong.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    On a side note, I had an original Rat in the 80's and it never occurred to me that it would be so highly sought after that clones would be made. I wasn't too impressed with it.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

12. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I've never cared for the DS-1, just too buzzy for my tastes, as jvin248's video demonstrates.

If I was living in my old town (Tampa Bay) I would have it taken care of PDQ, as I knew everyone who could do repairs... Jacksonville, not so much, though I'm sure there's somebody around here who could fix it.

So, until I find somebody who can repair it, or at least suss out what's going on, I'll have to find another pedal to take it's spot in the lineup. WF Rats are getting crazy priced, as are original RATs-but I see a lot of RAT 2s around, and not for insane money-anything I should be looking for with a RAT 2, and are any of the new ones any good? (I know, MIC, different chip, etc)

Thanks again,
    Franc Robert

13. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I've read excellent reviews of procos customer service team. Ya might give them a holler.

14. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO

15. Tele56

Tele56 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    Also have a Mr. Vermin.....as previously stated it does the RAT very well. Another plus (unlike the ProCo version) the CS Mr. Vermin uses the standard Boss-type adapter.

16. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I also agree the Chicago Stompworks clone would be great and it’s not crazy expensive. They make great stuff.

17. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    Fat RAT looks good on paper. Never tried one though. But that MSRP is a GAS deflater...

18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon

19. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Real ones, like the first big box reissues aren't that expensive. They sound fantastic. Get the real thing.

20. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Definitely contact ProCo- they do service old Rats, and yours is definitely worth putting some money into. I'd never put my '83 Rat out to pasture.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.