Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rarest of all modern Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ebb soul, Apr 13, 2018.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    I have been confirmed by Fender

Sinner1980 likes this.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Probably rarer than the one-offs is if someone made half a neck and half a body and put it all together.

3. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Ok, cool. Cool to own one out of 120pcs in that case!

mimmo likes this.

4. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I'm pretty sure everything will be considered vintage after a few decades. That's what I would think, anyway...Vintage is not a new term, and back when they were saying it in the 80's, the 70's guitars could be had for pretty cheap. Heck, even a lot of the 60's guitars were cheap. My first electric was a '68 SG that I bought in '85 for $300. I have no idea how much it would go for now, but my guess is more than $300.

If you want a guitar that will go up in value, or at least hold its value, I believe in buying high quality guitars that are highly sought after today, and you are planning to keep at least 30 years. I came to this conclusion based on nothing other than what I've seen over the years. I'm certainly no expert. Back in the 80's a new standard American Strat, or Tele would cost somewhere around $500-$600...In the 80's used market they would be less, of course, but in today's used market those same guitars would fetch a good bit more than their new prices from back then...And some of the 80's Fenders, especially the early 80's, were considered undesirable at the time.

I don't know the answer. I'm only going by my own experiences. I just bought an American professional Telecaster, brand new, and if I tried to sell it, it would not bring in what I paid for it, but 30 years from now I fully expect it will be worth at least what I paid for it, and probably more. I didn't buy it for that reason, but rather because I liked it and wanted it. I also bought it to pass on to my son someday. He will either love it, or sell it and have a decent payday. At that point I won't care.

I would be lying if I said I never thought about which guitars made today, if any, will be the most collectible and desired down the road. The answer is nobody really knows. Back in the 50's-60's they had no idea some of those guitars would someday be worth small fortunes. Just like those kids in '52 who put Mickey Mantle rookie cards in their bicycle spokes to make them sound like motorcycles. Hindsight and all...

Smiff likes this.

5. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Given the fact that most or our children/grandchildren... won't have any idea what to do with the hunks of wood with pickups we leave them, I think any actual musical instrument (short of maybe a Stradivarius) will start nose-diving in a decade or two.

"WTS: 2nd generation Ipod, and early 60's Stratocaster... Will trade both for Iphone 17 (willing to add cash)"

6. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Fender Custom Shop make all sorts of one offs. Each one will be rare. But there are just so many different rare guitars, they can’t all be valuable.

7. BobbyJames

BobbyJames TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Cumbria
    I have had this exact same experience with a series of MIM Esquires Fender was producing in white blonde and black a few years ago. I was about to buy one for £350 around 2 years ago on a bootsale app but pulled out last minute, which I majorly regretted as the listing ended. Since then, I've only seen one appear online - a reverb listing going for £800, with it had some pretty noticeable dings and wear - it sold in two days!

8. BobbyJames

BobbyJames TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Cumbria
    My pick for a rare/valuable tele in the next few years will be the now discontinued American Vintage series - I don't know why, but something about the thin-skin nitro finish not offered by any current production guitar (I think) seems an attractive prospect for many - their prices have been heavily discounted to get rid of stock so I think they're bargain at the minute and can see them holding value for the next few years before increasing steadily (if its kept in good condition, which is a tough ask)

9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Yes, I have one too but as I said I do not consider it really rare. But knowing that just 120 fiesta red have been made is pretty cool. Great guitar indeed!

10. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Low production signature models are generally the most desirable but it depends on the artist. As Fender is in the business of making money now, and not selling you some rare guitar that might go up in value, they tend to make a lot of everything.

Synapse2k likes this.

11. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    There are tons of FSR teles with different unique features to them BUT none of them will ever be considered vintage or collectible simply because there are so many FSR models popping up that the S in FSR no longer really stands for special.

12. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    The older gen said the same thing in the 50s and 60s but electric guitars are now selling in higher numbers that anytime in history. I don’t think guitar is going anywhere. We’re going on 300-400 years of acoustic guitar production and sales are stronger than ever.

A huge majority of the songs written today are written and played on guitar. The most popular musical actsare utilizing guitar as a lead instrument. I don’t see where you are coming from.

Are guitar businesses doing poorly? Some are and some aren’t. Consumers have more options these days. Poorly run shops can’t get by on local business anymore. My local shop closed down last year around this time. I saw it coming a decade in advance. Super nice guys. They just had a lesson and cheap guitar business model that simply can’t work these days.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

13. cryan

cryan TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Tucson
    IMG_0131.JPG This one is pretty rare 2002 Daphne blue '69 thinline. Fender sent me a spec sheet after I gave them my serial number. They said only 15 were made in this color. Under the pickguard in black marker written by hand is the number 34. This guitar is changing my life.

csapo, Pickcity, Dukex and 2 others like this.

14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I’d be happy to own that guitar! ^^^^

15. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    Here's the logic that you don't seem to be getting.

-MIM Tele-

You could probably gather up all the MIM Teles in the world and it would circle the earth 3 times

The only unique characteristic is the polyester Copper Burst finish (it did come with a reverse control plate but that's hardly a proprietary feature).

I'll present a personal example. I custom ordered a Fender Custom Shop Strat. I did this because I couldn't find a model that had everything I wanted. So, my custom Strat has some unique features that you won't find on regular production models. The odds someone else custom ordered a guitar just like mine are pretty low. And this isn't an MIM Tele (again not knocking MIMs). It's a custom ordered guitar that surely is very "rare" considering it was built to my unique specifications.

Is my Strat a highly collectible and valuable guitar? According to your logic then yes...but it isn't (it is to me though! )

Now, there seems to be a misunderstanding of terminology/verbiage here. I wasn't entirely succinct in my previous replies. Is it a collectible? Some would view it as such due to the limited run and unique finish. That's not what I'm referring to however. I'm talking about appreciation in value. No way is that model going to appreciate in value. I searched expired Reverb listings of that model and found 4 sold! If they are so highly valuable and rare as you say, why have, at the minimum of what we know (likely to be higher), four people let go of these rare and precious models?

Bottom line, it's not going to appreciate in value, and IMO not going to become a highly sought after gem of a guitar. But that shouldn't dissuade you from getting one if you want one.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

16. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente, Ca
    Sometimes I wonder if ANY modern Telecasters (or any other model guitar) will ever be that valuable. There are zillions of them floating around, and does anybody do the Pete Townsend thing anymore to thin the herd?

17. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2006
    San Francisco
    Great looking thinline and THANKS!!!! This is great info and rare that Fender would release productions numbers. I still have all of mine...

[​IMG]

18. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Certainly not with a beautiful reverse chevron flame, that's for sure!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.