Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rarest of all modern Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ebb soul, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    It would seen that the copperburst which first showed itself to me during '11-12 at GC.
    I think they were bringing close to seven then. I was told at the time it was a special GC run.
    I was on the fence.
    I tbought " well I'll find one later on used".
    Uh-uh.
    Nope, nadda. I probably check reverb and ebay one a week since then.
    None. Gone.
    Faded into some twangy two tone valhalla.

Is this the modern collectors sleeper ?

2. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
  3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Not being sarcastic, but are ANY GC FSR's considered valuable?

I can see the uncommon/low production thing, but it seems like there's a new one every couple of weeks...

Other than the personal appeal, as in your case, is there really a "rarity value" to these that have shown a true market increase?

Murphcaster and BigDaddyLH like this.
  4. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I don't know how rare they are, but the MIA chambered mahogany Tele is the sleeper for me, followed by the MIA Highway 1 Texas Telecaster. Here's a photo of the mahogany Tele.

[​IMG]

RoyBGood, Southpole, Dukex and 4 others like this.
  5. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    I wouldn't say the rarest but the Muddy Waters and GE Smith are two whose values have increased since they were discontinued.

tonyj, Synapse2k, irie and 2 others like this.
  6. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I only mean rarest (as I said ) not most valuble,
    But it would seem that if the numbers are that low or so hard to find on the open market then yea thats the one to snag for posteriety.

7. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    T1 (2).JPG I think the '62 AVRI Tele in Surf Green is fairly scarce, if not becoming rare.

Southpole, MitchMiami, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

There is so much variety from Fender nowadays that, in my opinion, a low numbered run of an otherwise normal Fender, non-custom shop guitar does not predict collectible status.

9. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
  10. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

Yeah but I can find those other low run offerings you refference.
    Thats the difference.

Undone likes this.
  11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    The most significant variable to consider is the "rare-guitar-to-interested-customer" ratio.

Here's what I mean:

If the Copperbursts were truly popular then you can bet your bottom dollar that Fender would be making as many of these as the market demands.

In other words; I can honestly say that I both love how the Copperburst looks AND that I am also 100% sure I'd never buy one myself - and that's pretty much the only factor that matters here.

In other OTHER words, if you really REALLY love it and you're absolutely sure you want one (and can find one), then by all means get one - just don't assume it will be desirable to anybody else...

'

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    I get what you're saying. If YOU really like those then you're definitely going to want one. Just don't fool yourself into thinking these are going to be investments that double or triple in value and or eventually become a sought after collectors item.

As someone else pointed out, do you know how many "limited runs" GC, not to mention other stores, have put out over the years? Hundreds if not thousands. Are all of those going to be considered rare and sought after too? No. In the end, it's still an MIM Tele that basically has a unique color. And no, I'm not knocking MIM Teles. I've played numerous MIMs that would give any MIA a run for its money.

Long story short, if you like it for what it is (a cool Tele in a unique color) then I hope you find one. If you're after one for the reasons I mentioned above, you're be disappointed in 10-20 years.

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    I am guessing that a/my left handed Masterbuilt Rosewood Tele should be considered . The numbers produced could be as low as 1 and certainly is only 1 as built .

Nubs likes this.
  14. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Yet no one has explained why one simply can't be found and all those other limited runs can.
    I think they are being hoarded.
    There is only two explainations of that.
    One is that they are projected as collectable.
    They other being increbable value and super dooper great axe. That ain't it.
    This isn't about me trying to find one per say.
    Just a model I have followed. They are not to be found new or used.
    That is interesting.

15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    In terms of number of pieces manifactured, I think that the AV64 in fiesta red (120 units worldwide) can be considered rare.
    But for some reason I do not think of it as valuable guitar.

16. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    I've been given to understand that this special run happened between 2010-2012 (someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong) and 200 were made. 200. If 200 were made, then surely it will be very difficult to find some used ones. I have already found two but they're listed on a site located in the Netherlands.

Just because you're not able to find one doesn't automatically equate to it being a valuable collectors item. Do you see people clambering for Fender Swingers or Musiclanders?

17. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Just because I'm not able to find one out of 200 doesn't automatically mean it isn't collectable, either.
    Your logic.
    Come on now. 200?
    And what pray tell was the price of the ones in the Neitherregions?
    If it is above retail ....this soon in...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  18. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

Yet.

Of course amougst speculatore the golden age of collectables is gone. Hence this sight considers vintage only pre 1980s. Theoretically a 2012 will be 50yrs old at some point yet never be ' vintage'. Or possiblely collectable because of this.
    But rosewood......

mimmo likes this.
  19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Rarest of all modern Telecasters?”

My one-of-a-kind partscaster, of course

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.