Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rare find, a Tele at a pawn shop....

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Miguello, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    In Houston anyway, even tele knockoff guitars are rare as chickens teeth in the pawn industry. I have a thing for budget instruments that are over improved, and this one is no different. I actually went into this particular shop to buy back a grass green 1999 Epiphone SG I sold them several months ago. I missed it, so... Anyway, I started looking over the guitars, and there's a Telecaster!!? Seriously? Not just a Telecaster, but a Squier HH in good shape no less, for $95.. I gave it a quick once over to make sure everything was as it seemed, and immediately bought it.

I brought it home, and plugged it in. Ugggh, lol. I had a set of reverse zebra Classic II GFS pickups from an impulse CL buy, and a package of orange drop caps. I hit the music store, and got some strings and a couple of CTS pots, and went to work. The result is a nice looking, fine playing guitar, that sounds even better than it looks. Score, hehe.

Yeah, the knobs refused to fit. I will remedy that soon enough....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Same here so I was surprised to find my old early 90s MIM top loader in a pawn shop for the same price. I had damaged the neck and replaced it with a AllParts years ago so I recognized it straight away. 10 or so years ago I lent it to a co worker along w/ a USA Bullet amp, he quit a few weeks later & apparently pawned the amp & guitar to get money to leave town, when it wasn't claimed, the shop sold the amp, and the owner kept the guitar for his use and later passed it to his kid, who played it in a variety of H.S. and college bands, and received a new guitar for graduation this spring. I knew the guy from work quite well, and simply assumed he would return it to me at some point so never filed a PoPo report, or checked the shops. Small world apparently it was 30 miles away the whole time..It's is pretty good shape, so I simply paid the $99 and took it home.

boris bubbanov and Minimalist518 like this.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Nothing like a new Tele to brighten up a day. :D

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    No shortage of Tele-oids in the pawn shops here.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Awesome.

That thing is begging for an anodized gold pickguard, with mint green running a close second.

Oh, and a set of those Seymour Duncan HB-sized P-90s or Phat Staples. :cool:

Scott

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Lol, that's a great line.

Nice find and clean up.

7. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking Tortoise for the pickguard, actually. Maybe nickel pickups later, SD of course. These GFS pickups sound quite nice with decent wiring. Thick and rich. At least as good as the wide range buckers on my Squier 72 Thinline.

8. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    LOVING this thing. Sounds awesome. The bridge is an 8.2k and the neck 7.8K, according to the GFS site. It's less fuzzy/70's than the Thinline, but slightly warmer/darker than my traditional single coil full SD parts Tele. So all three Tele's sound great, but distinctly different tones with the same pedal/amp settings.

The pickups sound WAY better than a $60-$70 humbucker set should. ;)

Here's a demo. Mine have no covers, so a little brighter by comparison I guess? Or maybe he has the tone turned way down, or a 47 cap? Who knows.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

9. GearJammer93

GearJammer93 TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    nevada
    Got the same tele, came with some Wilkerson's in it 145 buck's, love this guitar. 20170704_180601.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.