Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rabbits are such timid creatures...and lucky...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I mowed my yard yesterday evening, starting at the back for a change. On the second pass in my first section, out of the corner of my eye I saw a baby rabbit making its way into the neighbor's yard. I stopped to make sure it was ok, and on my way back to the mower, discovered to my horror that I had just mowed directly over its home--a burrow at the base of the first pecan tree I passed.

I looked all around to make sure there was no indication that I had injured it, or any other rabbits, then went to the house to get my girlfriend. We both think there appeared to be two others still in the hole, breathing but still and unresponsive--I figure they were severely traumatized and possibly deaf, at least temporarily.

The good news is, Ashley went out later after dark to check, and the burrow was vacant. Hopefully they had recovered and were out foraging. I saw one briefly this morning, but it made itself scarce because I had Flash, the black Lab, on a leash.

Yikes. We encourage the birds, squirrels, and rabbits because we don't have a garden or any valuable plants, and they don't really hurt anything. I used to hunt, but I wouldn't want to harm an animal in that manner; I would have felt awful.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I always thought those rabbits feet were really lucky

24 track and coloradojeff like this.

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I used to be the care taker for a small local park and play ground..
    While mowing one day I had the same experience..Fortunately I was mowing very high..I don't think any of them was hurt..
    But I know the feeling..It bothered me..

haggardfan1 and brookdalebill like this.

4. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    SE Michigan, USA
    The rabbits around here are pretty bold. We don't have a fenced yard and used to put our retrievers on a tie out. I came out one afternoon to find Sophia (best dog ever made, may she rest in peace) laying on the deck, staring at a rabbit. The rabbit was calmly munching away on the lawn, staring back at Sophia from about five feet outside of where the tie out would reach.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    We played a golf course Monday that was over near Taft California. The course always looks pretty decent since they made some kind of deal with the Aqua Duct many moons ago, and they seem to always have water. I was absolutely shocked to see a couple of Jack Rabbits just off the first green which is elevated about fifty feet above the fairway. Then over on the fifteenth tee box we saw a couple of them who looked to be about like teenagers who were happily munching away.

We hadn't visited that particular course in a couple of years, and seeing the rabbits was really cool. Jack Rabbits used to be everywhere in the valley but for some reason have all but disappeared. I know it's been at least ten years since I saw one anywhere. All in all we saw six of them yesterday. We hope they're like Johnny Cash and makin' a comeback.

Slowpoke likes this.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Our local rabbits (cottontail, snowshoe hares and jack rabbits) were wiped out here two years ago by a gang of ermines. We actually witnessed some kills looking out our house windows. They have recovered well with many different ages running around right now, but last week, I saw a fisher snooping the stacks of logs and milled wood not far from our dining room. I think Mrs. Obsessed is ready to shoot the fisher.:eek: Yup, the food chain is alive and well up here.:cool:

Toto'sDad and Slowpoke like this.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

I bet Mrs. Obsessed would love a nice ermine coat!

Toto'sDad likes this.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I caught one in a live trap in the winter when it was white. If I had known how many ermines we were going to have, I would have considered it. I'll try to get Mrs. obsessed to find the pic.

9. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Be glad it wasn’t a skunk. Image1528860788.910953.jpg

24 track likes this.

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Oh, man. When I was in second grade, my I got a pet rabbit. Named it Bugs Bunny , Jr. II. My dad and I built a hutch and I took care of feeding and cleaning. Once in a while, he would escape to the bushes in the back yard.

One day, the hutch was open and Bugs was gone. A few days later, I was in the boys bathroom and overheard a kid I knew telling the others how he found a rabbit, picked it up by the ears, and bashed it repeatedly into the ground. He was one of my friends, but not close. Still, I didn't want to challenge him on it or call him a liar. I also didn't want to know if he was really telling the truth. I just swallowed it and never spoke about to anyone, except now here on the forum.

11. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

When I was in high school my drilling partner on the wrestling team said to come look at something in the ditch in front of his house. Couple of us (guy who would later play keys in the best sounding band I was in) went with him. He pulled the grass back and there was a nest of babies- hairless, eyes still closed.

We were checking it out, "Cool", when we heard a lawnmower start up. Here the guy came on a lawn tractor, ran over the nest with the blades running. Bloody carcasses shot out the mower's discharge.

He got off the mower grinning like the sociopath he was, laughing "Man, wasn't that cool!!"

Uh, no.

A year later I was spending the summer up here when my mother said he'd hung himself. It was autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong (right if you ask me).

And last week I was helping a neighbor with some yard work. I'd spread some grass seed in some bare spots and he said to use the straw bales he'd set up as archery targets some years ago. Said use the one sitting on the ground.

I tried to pick it up whole with the twine, but it was rotten and broke. I was picking the straw up in sections, nasty wet and rotted out. When I picked up the last section, nearest the woods a field mouse ran out with 6 babies hanging from her side's.

They were an inch long and had grey fur. Figured they were ready to be weaned, but felt bad that I disturbed their nice house.

It was also getting cool at nights and I hoped they didn't die of hypothermia.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    A misguided twelve-year-old with a wrist rocket is the devil.

I was never a hunter, but the testosterone was a-flowin', and confusing my poor brain... So, one evening at dusk, I snuck up on this tiny rabbit eating a patch of clover. To this day, I believe it was a magical bunny, sent to show me what an idiot I was.

I approached quietly, until I felt I was close enough to nail it. I forget what I was shooting, but possibly a few pellets in each load. FWAP! Missed. But wait, I get another chance! The rabbit completely ignored me, and kept busily munching.

Long story short, after countless shots, and creeping closer, I was finally standing right over the rabbit, aiming straight down. I'd have been better off just to step on the darn thing. I could see the shot peppering the grass all around, but it was as if the bunny existed inside a bubble. No matter what I tried, I couldn't hit it.

After about ten minutes, it finally hopped a few paces away, still eating.

Full dark by then, I walked home in defeat... and breathed a sigh of relief.

haggardfan1 likes this.

13. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    rabbits feet weren't so lucky for the rabbits that gave up its feet to make keychains.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Between my dogs and me, they're lucky they stay off my property.

15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Exactly...my point

16. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Ugh. I'll never understand cruelty to animals, or bragging about it.

RomanS and SolidSteak like this.

17. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    We have a resident skunk too. He's a great big old fellow, I've only seen him once--Thanksgiving night last year we got home late from somewhere and I saw him in the front yard.

The rest of the evidence has just been those little cone-shaped holes in the ground. He keeps to himself, apparently ignoring the dogs and their pee, and I wish him well. I think he lives under my tool shed, but am in no way certain of that. The dogs are always indoors or leashed, so I don't worry about an encounter as much as I once did.

18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I happened to leave the large fold down door on the trailer down overnight (one of those trailers where the rear of the unit folds down to make a ramp) and went to put it back up.
    I am deathly afraid of snakes and mice for some reason so when I lifted the door and took a step up to latch it I saw a patch of brown between my feet. I was afraid at first it might be a rattler so I did not move but then I saw the big brown eyes.
    It was a bunny who had made a little burrow under that door. I guess it figured it would be dry and the grass was high in that spot.
    I did not move and it stayed that way until after I latched the door and then off it ran. Pretty little creatures.

19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    We have city rabbits that dig a den in my small yard every year. I would prefer that they not do this, but once it happens I just mow around them until they leave. It wasn't a huge problem until this year, when something (probably a cat) massacred the baby bunnies while they were still in the hole :/ Man I don't want to have to clean that up... I just shoveled some dirt over them and put down some grass seed.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    We have a small impression in front yard, where a rabbit had kids 2 yrs ago. We mow over it all the time. We did not burry it, hardly notice
    in grass. Well this year and last year, the big rabbits return, and just plop their but in there until you are almost on them. Home is home. they return.
    year after year. At least no place to have baby rabbits ..just a depression in ground. lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.