Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P Tom Petty

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Skully, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    There was no more important musical figure in my life than Tom Petty. Bar none.

Things will never be the same.

gobi_grey, Fender427 and CharlieO like this.

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Getting to this party kind of late.
    Some friends and I held a Petty-Party after work.
    It's always sad when we lose a Decent Human Being like him.

BopT and JayFreddy like this.

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Gibson likes this.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Will be terribly missed.

5. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    I know he was talking about hanging it up after this tour to focus on other things and I couldn't help but think that Tom looked exhausted in that video.:cry:

6. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Very sad news. Only 2 Wilburys left and Dylan who usually is quiet made a statement about Tom Petty. They also said that the Heartbreakers went to see him in the hospital before he passed.

Fender427 likes this.

7. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I was thinking the very same thing.

I'm always complaining about how music was really "lost" from 1974-1980, but I do want to acknowledge that Tom and his band really lifted me up, when they came along in 1976. There weren't too many people at the top of their game just then, but Tom and The Heartbreakers sure were.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    howlin and Fender427 like this.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'd say Springsteen was also in a real peak period too. Not coincidentally the two best American songwriters in rock outside of Dylan, in my opinion anyway.

That last interview was kind of sad but also really nice to hear. Because he clearly went out on a high. He sounded like he has in any interview I've heard of his from the past 10 years or so. He sounded really happy, super pleased with the tour they'd just finished, and looking forward to producing some young band he's been working with. So he died a little young, but he basically went out in his sleep during a great period of his life, without months or years of suffering. We should all be so lucky, man.

And he was clearly one of the good guys in a business that creates a lot of jerks...

-Ray

10. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Well said, raysachs...

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I'm no diarist, but back in June I started a journal to record my last year teaching. I thought today's entry might be OK in this thread:

Yesterday I was conscious all day of feeling mortal. I mentioned it to Lisa when I got home; she said she’d been thinking about that, too. It’s like a storm. Not a typhoon, where you take cover, but the kind of storm where you watch out the window, and if you go out you hold on to your hat. All this retirement business is part of it, clouds and breeze. Tom Petty, I think, is what really dropped the barometer. 67. If I’d lived in Gainesville, or he’d lived in Boonville, we’d have gone to high school together. Of course he didn’t know me, but he was such a driver of the scene that I’d have known him if he walked in the door, wouldn’t have been too surprised either.

All the talk is about what a shock, what a shame, how tragic, so young. What a talent.

I’ll miss him, too, but to me his death (there have been others lately, but somehow Tom Petty’s has affected me differently) is a bellwether, a signal that this really isn’t going on forever, the guard really will change, and we’ll all of us be someday as dead as the people who lived during the Civil War, a few of whom were still alive when I was born. We’re “baby-boomers”, Lisa and I, children of the generation that fought the Great War, won it. This morning I was thinking that it might have been because of that horrible war, World War II, that they let us grow up feeling invincible, immortal, forever young. We really have lived our lives in a time and place that is rare in human history, a time and place of unparalleled peace and prosperity. We’ve built whole industries promoting health, youth, and vigor; the technical advances in the entertainment business have made giants of the people who play the parts, write the words, sing the songs, play the guitars. And the giants are frozen on film, on the web, on digital record. Immortal.

I can listen to his music as long as I live, I probably shall, but now suddenly Tom Petty is gone, as dead as William Tecumseh Sherman or Edgar Allen Poe. As dead as my dad, my mom, my sister, my friend Harry. 67. I feel a loss, but it’s not a tragedy. A child drowned is a tragedy. A mother taken from her children, or a teen suicide, is a tragedy. Tom Petty is a bellwether, the sound you hear through the fog, over the hill, that lets you know the cows are coming home.

10/5/17

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

12. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Thank you for sharing this.

ROADMAN, DavidP and P Thought like this.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    The death of a close person, often hits me in a delayed way...it still hasn't entirely sunk in, about Tom's passing :confused: Which reminds me, my father, (who's almost 84), suggested we watch Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Live from Gatorville, about a year ago. He really liked them, so I wanna check it out again, over this Thanksgiving weekend, visiting his place :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I can't remember the date but a buddy and I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Orpheum Theatre here in Memphis, I'm thinking it was before they did a major restoration late in 1982.

At any rate, it was an excellent show, they had a backline of the old Vox Beatle amp stacks.
    That was the only time I saw them live, they did a show here this year with Joe Walsh but I missed it.

So many great songs, with the Heartbreakers, solo, duets, and of course the Traveling Wilburys.

15. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I wish I could come up with something clever and meaningful to say, but I can't. I've been thinking about this since he passed.

My favorite artist for the last 10 years. All I've got is thank you Tom; for bringing me and my friends closer, making me a better musician, showing me that there is good in the music business, and for all of the lyrics which guys like me can read, and feel something from.

RIP

DavidP and cactusrob like this.

16. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Very well stated...

17. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Outstanding post. For Whom the Bell Tolls. Recognizing mortality is a great thing.

ROADMAN and P Thought like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.