Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P Tom Petty

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Skully, Oct 2, 2017.

1. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    Another generational artist is gone. I am very thankful that we have so much of his great music by which to remember him. RIP

Frank'n'censed likes this.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Such devastating news! For myself, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers were easily amongst the top few bands to emerge after my 1978, graduation...they always had a foot firmly planted in the tradition of great, rootsy, rock & roll, (think CCR).

3. ThorTC

ThorTC TDPRI Member

May 1, 2012
    Isla Bermeja
    My dad was a huge Tom Petty fan and I remember when Full Moon Fever came out when I was about 7. By the end of that year I knew every song on that album, these memories are what turned me into a huge fan of his songwriting and great guitar work(Mike's as well). Regret not seeing him when he came to MPLS a few months ago. RIP

telemnemonics likes this.

4. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    An absolute cornerstone of the music I play and perform. We always open with one- every gig. Last Saturday, we opened with two. You Wreck Me and Runnin' Down a Dream. The very first song my current band ever performed was Cabin Down Below. Such memorable and surefire songs.
    A sad day indeed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

5. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    The music of my teen years , and now in my 50's there will always be a place for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers !
    Life is just so short and people are so fragile !!!

Generic Schmoe likes this.

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    I remember a while back, a thread was opened asking how young is too young; i.e., gone too soon.
    Tom definitely falls into the too young, too soon category.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    "Damned the Torpedoes" was a soundtrack to my High School experience.

I got my brother and sister hooked on Petty as well.

This album (below) got me interested in the Telecaster.

You will be missed.
    [​IMG]

Skully and Bruxist like this.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Gotta remember though that his "66 years old" is not like most of our "66 years old".

Sure, chronologically he was 66 years old, but in reality/biologically he could've been closer to 76 years old or 86 years old.

Whatever - far far too young to go and on any other week his death would be the news story. A towering figure in music .

9. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    :(:cry:

I've known about Petty's music for years but, until Marty Stuart's latest CD, "Way Out West", was released did I even start to really look into Petty's career (since Mike Campbell was Petty's guitarist who produced "WOW" with Marty).

Such a horrific day all around. :(

10. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I don't have the words.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    He was a guy that somehow managed to bridge generations with his music. He was relevant for such a long time and for so many people. Hell, my former duo partner was an 18 year old kid that wanted to sing Petty songs in our act.

As has been said by others, this one seems to personally hurt quite a bit! I really regret not getting to Chicago a day earlier this past summer.

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Hour interview w Tom on "Fresh Air" today.

13. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Just awful, terrible news! A great musician and performer. Rest In Peace, Mr. Petty. Loved your music.

14. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

a667c3083ca5fdc2415a460ffdac3b89.jpg

Rip Tom Petty

boris bubbanov likes this.

15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I saw Dwight Twilley at the Stone in San Francisco on his tour in support of "Jungle," and there were rumors that Petty might make a surprise appearance, helped along by a Telecaster sitting on a stand on stage. The reason: Petty sang the chorus on "Girls" for his former Shelter Records labelmate. Lookalike Carl Olsen stands in for him in the video:

16. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    Sad, sad news indeed.
    No doubt his music will stay forever and continue to inspire many musicians and songwriters. RIP, Tom Petty.

17. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Better video of the final two songs of the final concert.

ermac68 and BopT like this.

18. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    I know everyone will have their own story, but Tom helped me through some very dark times in my life. His songs reminded me to not give up, appreciate the little things and above all to be genuine. I am profoundly sad.

umasstele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.