Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P Tom Petty

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Skully, Oct 2, 2017.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I think in this case CBS had confirmation from the LAPD, and the LAPD later admitted a mistake?

I was watching this and the major media outlets did not run with the story--NYT and WashPost for example did not run anything till they had confirmation

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    sad to hear of this

RIP to one of the greats

3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Time and time again he just kept slugging it out in the face of adversity, and came out a winner when many others would have just given up.

RIP Tom

4. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    His songs will stand the test of time and he will through them forever. Songs like American Girl, Free Fallin, and You Wreck Me are ingrained so deep in society that you can't escape them. Just like how I can sing word for word Elvis songs, my 1 year old daughter will no doubt one day come home singing a Tom Petty song.

hellopike likes this.

5. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    Such a cool songwriter; never lost touch with his roots, but always managed to sound fresh. And what a distinctive voice. He really knew how to sound like Tom Petty on the opening line of a song and just suck you right in. He had a certain quality of being a massively successful rock star that managed to come across as one of us.

6. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    One of the great ones, he'll be missed!

7. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    A musical hero....this hurts me more than any of the others.....

cactusrob likes this.

8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    RIP - a unique sound and contributor to the music world.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Thank you for the music, Tom. Peace.

10. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    An American icon gone. Damn.

11. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.
    What bar band didn't do a Tom Petty song?? looks like he just finished his 40th tour a week ago, shocking! i saw him in the mid 90's @ Pepsi arena in Albany N.Y. with a friend, he was in his prime . One of the greats!

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Something did appear, to me, to be wrong with Tom's health (and I posted about it last year) but I deeply respect his personal decision to keep doing the things that made his life singular.

We sure will miss you, man.

13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo

14. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    This is one of those moments when I might have gone to the radio, waiting for tributes to Petty that everyone in my town could share... but the 'rock' stations here are all automated, just running through their standard playlists, same as ever.

"The Last DJ" indeed...

15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I saw him in July and something seemed off. I don't want to speculate at all, but he seemed frail. That said, he sounded fantastic and played flawlessly. Still vital.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I listened to his SiriusXM station quite a bit and especially the Buried Treasure show he hosted.

Tom sure loved Slim Harpo and was a rabid music fan his whole life.

And of course, he, like all the other Heartbreakers, were brothers of all of ours in GAS.

I think Petty's practice space/gear arsenal was rivaled only by that of Tweedy's loft.

17. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Yesterday, I listened to the (ironically-titled-in-the-moment) show "Sullivan's Wake" on Petty's Sirius radio station and they had people like Randy Newman as well as regular folks calling in to share their memories about Petty.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The video of Tom hanging out in his studio with Garry Shandling that @studio posted was a nice viewing of who we just lost.
    Their comparing notes on the toll performing took on them, Tom pacing around all day in preparation and anticipation of a show, and then doing the same afterward to wind down.
    Tom also commented that he thought Garry choosing to end his Larry Sanders show at its peak, rather than let it fizzle out, was the right choice.

I don't know if we can really grasp the toll performing takes on one of the artists who really shake the whole world, even if we are performers ourselves.
    And I have to wonder if the job of the artist who shakes the world becomes more grueling as the world itself shakes back at them.

A job like bundling up our sad selves and returning us to us in a better form, returning us to us so that we can go on as bettered for his work.
    IDK, maybe projecting, but it seems like while he might not state it as being so, his work is us as much as it is him.
    That's a lot to carry.
    Nice job, thank you Tom.

Very very sad to lose him now, to lose him so young.

studio, P Thought, raysachs and 3 others like this.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Losing him is like losing John Lennon, or Robin Williams, for me.
    He was a singular artist.
    I'm very grateful for all the unforgettable songs he left us.
    RIP, brother.

20. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

"Breakdown" is one of the first songs I remember hearing on the radio. Before my Dad bought me my first electric guitar, he made me pick a song (any popular song) to play and sing -start to finish- with no mistakes. Tom Petty's "Into the Great Wide Open" was my choice. The music lives on...

Jonzilla likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.