Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P Tom Petty

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Skully, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Besquire

Besquire TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    DE
    One of my absolut Heros.

2. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

I fear more weapons will not help against this kind of tragedies as in Las Vegas. I really don`t want to discuss politics, only facts. Shooter had dozens of weapons and was a reputation as very law abiding and easygoing man. How many he would have killed without weapons.

Tom Petty was a hero for me too. Sad.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

3. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I gotta think that the rock ‘n roll life’s gotta be hard on the physical plant - even those who straighten up and live healthy at some point put a lot of hard miles on the body. And if you keep smoking like I think he did, that’s hard on anyone.

Roller coaster day, but I think Tom Petty being dead and then Tom Petty being NOT dead, even if only for a few hours, has to be the most Tom Petty thing ever... RIP brother...

studio likes this.

4. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Sorry to hear this Sad news as well, he was a great artist R.I.P.

5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    Petty had been there all my life; every time it seemed like he was a part of the past, he came back.

The last 24 hours here in Vegas have been pretty dismal. I got through the day hoping he'd pull through somehow.

6. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    My wife is in a state of shock , I can't believe he passed on. This is a sad day for Rock'nRoll , so sad

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Tom (left) in his senior year of high school (1967). Tom's guitar teacher (right) who went on to become very successful---do you recognize him?

untitled1.png 2.png

Stratohacker, P Thought and raysachs like this.

8. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I don’t want to take anything away from TP, but I think a small part of the reason it’s hitting so many of us so hard is because it’s absolutely impossible to humanly process what happened in your city the night before and there were so many twisted emotions balled up together in most of us, with anger, confusion, and hopelessness kind of overwhelming the sadness, that the news about Tom was something we COULD process and sort of allowed the dam to burst and get the waterworks started. And while this is just one outside possibility (not even conjecture, just something that occurred to as a possibility), it wouldn’t even shock me if waking up to the enraging news about Vegas was the straw that broke the back of his highly vulnerable heart. I was kind of a physical wreck all day yesterday myself, just in a kind of shock not all that different than on 9/11. Because it was only slightly less unimaginable...

-Ray

9. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I probably wouldn’t have recognized him from the pic, but I read both of their books, so I knew the story. Gainesville was quite the rock ‘n roll petri dish back then it turned out...

10. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    I don't get teary-eyed over performers or artists passing away normally but TP seemed to write songs as if he was reading my mail at different times in my life. That's a true talent and gift that few have.
    He first came onto my musical radar when I was maybe 14 (when I still believed KISS was a good band.)
    I'm about to be 52, so that's a lot of years of great music.

I heard the news late yesterday before leaving work. Saddened, I finished out my day. On the way home I typically listen to talk radio (because rock and country radio usually stink) but yesterday I switched over to the local RnR station. TP and Heartbreakers songs came in a flood and my memories followed suit as the DJ played one after the other after the other. Some were TP tunes that you dont hear anymore or that you may never have heard if not a fan. It was good...
    And something else I did that I usually no longer do when I'm in the car? I cranked it! And I sang along. Loudly!! Yeah...

Tom Petty will naturally be sorely missed. We always tend to say on these occassions that the artist live on in their recordings...But in my opinion he'll also live on in a small way in a lot of hearts..the lyrics and melodies he wrote will afford him that...

If I could pick one favorite, I suppose this would be it:

Stratohacker, Skully and raysachs like this.

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

No, but "Search Google for image" did. . . .

Google owns us all.

ZackyDog likes this.

12. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Truly stunning news....there are no words....

RJ

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not forgetting.. he was on stage for this... front and centre...

Stratohacker likes this.

14. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    This one really hurts. Probably one of the best songwriters of our time. He was such an awesome inspiration to a lot of people.

Mechanic and Skully like this.

15. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2011
    Somerset UK
    Devastating news. He was one of my all time favourites. Just last night I was having a quick strum on my 12 string Ricky and of course I played the intro to Free Fallin' like you do.
    R.I.P Tom and thanks for all the music.

16. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2014
    Mesquite, TX
    RIP Tom. An amazing performer, a inspiration to numerous musicians, loving father, brother, husband and friend. Your music will always remind people of an America before all the senseless violence and fear where people could just enjoy each others company and some great rock and roll..Rest easy you've earned it.

17. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

18. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    This really bothers me too. A great great RnR talent, songwriter, and truly a modern balladeer. He and the Heartbreakers are unlike any other band, and always seem so "together" and enjoying their work. Can't believe that is gone. The last few months I have been looking at tour dates etc., as I really wanted to see them perform before my time was up..........

Also, the fact that Tom was only 6 days younger than me and I survived a similar issue 7 years ago particularly hits home. RIP.

19. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Thanks perfectly understandable, and the public should respect it. What I'm saying is confirm your story before you release the info.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.