Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P. Dirt G.A.S.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MilwMark, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    US
    Standard SD-1 or Waza?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Waza. I felt like the buffer was more invisible when I A/Bd them. Could have been my imagination.

3. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I've gotta agree with the DOD 250. I'm using my [Grey spec clone] like a slightly dirty boost and nothing else I own sounds as good!
    Currently DOD 250>Movall Firefly>RAT>DOD FX-52 classic fuzz.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Surely I have posted here before. TC Rusty Fuzz, TS clone Kokko, Soul Food

Last edited: May 14, 2017

5. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Surprise update - I have been trying to simplify even more. As part of that quest, I tried a T Rex Soulmate. Perfect! One cable in, one out, one power supply. Weighs under 5lbs.

Very high quality buffer and effects. Nice gain-staging - clean, OD, Distortion, OD+distortion and a boost that can be used with any of those combinations. It also has a nice delay and reverb. *Edit - oh, and it has a tuner. Which seems to work just fine to me. Mutes the signal. Makes the guitar sound in tune.

The effects are to my ear all tuned for stage. They sit and work really well in a mix.

First rehearsal yesterday. Best feedback came from our bassist (also a professional sound guy) - I heard no change from your fancy individual pedals board.

Maybe it's time to learn how to sell on Reverb. Old Rats and KTRs and DD2s, oh my!

The funny part - after all that obsessing over nuance - I don't even really know what the OD and distortion are! I just know they sound greet, combine well, and have the dynamics I need.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    RetroTeleRod likes this.

6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Glad you like it.

I love mine. It's the only pedal with dirt that I've used since I got it. Do wish it had a tremolo (like the old Carl Martin Quatro did). Sometimes I add a trem or a shimmer pedal between the Soulmate and the amp.

My recollection is that the OD is based on the Moller, which is a TS style, and the Dist is based on a Mudhoney, which I read somewhere is Rat-based. In the end it doesn't matter, they sound great!

Congratulations.

MilwMark likes this.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

Don't you need tremolo? Or are you using the DR's footswitch?

8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Not if you roll your volume knob up and down really fast. Sure, I can't do that while playing, so I consider it a "ducking" tremolo.

RetroTeleRod, MilwMark and waparker4 like this.

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I do that to "be cool" at the end of a song. :)

RetroTeleRod, MilwMark and artdecade like this.

10. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Rat, TS9, Soul Food, SD1, DS1, Freq Boost and 2 amps with OD channels...I'm good as well. Took me some time to realize it, but sometimes, contentment is right under my nose.

I swap the TS9 and the Rat out depending on what I'm playing, and obviously, I can swap in any of the others whenever, but I'm much happier with fewer options.

11. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I do use the DR's trem.

Or more recently, the '68 CPR. It has a great trem. And I'm realizing it's plenty loud for almost everything we do.

12. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Thanks. I use amp trem so I'm covered. The chorus on the delay and the LFO Reverb are pretty useful to "fake" having a true modulation pedal also. I end up never using true modulation pedals because they are hard for me to manage and fit in the mix anyway.

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

congratulations! Are you still GAS free?

(edit - I broke my own rule, I didnt read the whole thread... too long... my apologies)

I'm so over it all, people were going bonkers for the Joyo USA for 20 bucks... and I looked and thought, nah. Its just another one. I cant be bothered.....

You're right, they all do the same thing more or less and the only difference I can tell from most of them, is the midrange voicing. And the only thing that really means, in practicality, is that X pedal will work better with Y guitar or Y plus Z amp, and theres a million combinations.

The rest of it, the 99% important part, is what you play.

MilwMark likes this.

14. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Good question. I am now.

The distilled version of this thread is that "still" would be an overstatement. Over the tortured 3 years of this thread, I've gradually winnowed down, and my buying/trading slowed way down and only occurred with purpose.

But now it has stopped by default and by force. I have nowhere to "put" a different dirt pedal. My board is the Soulmate and whatever is not in it, I won't use. No pulling out two patch cables and a daisy-chain plug, and swapping something in.

I'm even seeing if I can ditch the volume pedal. I could in theory patch one into the Soulmate but would prefer not to. Over the last several shows I've been acutely aware that all stage presence disappears when working the volume pedal. It's hard to bounce, tap, crouch or do other shenanigans with one foot stuck to the volume pedal. Seemed ok to go without, after one rehearsal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.