Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P. Dirt G.A.S.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MilwMark, Apr 28, 2014.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

I have kind of the same experience.

To me that pedal with the gain up made everything I play sound like Led Zeppelin, a little overly compressed, but with the gain low I can get good "Jimi" strat sounds. Sounds good at 18 volts.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Yeah, Wazaup with that?
    :lol:

MilwMark likes this.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    @waparker4 - I managed to bend and then break something in the power input for the TU3 shoving into an over-stuffed gig bag. The 3w was only a few bucks more and I was trading anyway, so I went for it. I've been really impressed with the Waza line. I actually like the selectable buffer. And I won't lie - the novelty of a TBP Boss pedal in the traditional Boss format was a draw. The buffer is great (or course) but I actually turned it off and use the DOD buffer (also great, slightly different in a way I couldn't begin to categorize) - so yeah, still 3 buffered pedals (gasp!).

@RetroTeleRod - that's quality stuff.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I'm using mine with the strat, too. I'll have to get one of those 18v thingies and try that. Thanks for the tip.

6. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Well, as if anyone cares, @RetroTeleRod nailed it. "Final iteration" my eye.

The Marvel and the minis all went by the wayside. (Sorry wifey and kids. The Tone City's were great sounding, but they all did the same thing as the OCD I had - my volume and EQ would change unpredictably depending on what was on/off before the TC pedal. No idea why but made them impractical live.)

Back down to: DOD OD250. I keep one DOD 410 but the EQ curve on the 250 is just perfect. And I got a Black Secret which I use to mimic the amp channel switcher at home on my single channel amps).

RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I've been playing my HB guitar a lot recently and have discovered how good the Blues Breaker v1 can sound with 'buckers. The hotter signal turns the BB into more of a mid-gainer and the brighter EQ really lights up the PAF pickups. Still using the modded SD-1 for higher gain tones.

8. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Interesting @cousinpaul - I hear the BBv1 as very bright as well, even the "warmer" first version. I'd probably like it better now that I'm a "bucker"/p90 guy. But have no GAS to try, given how well the 250 works for me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

9. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    What guitars are you playing now? Have you moved on from the fat teles?

10. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Telecaster Deluxe style (4 controls). One with two Phat Cats. One with two Seth Lovers. One with a Cat in the neck and a Seth in the bridge, and a Bigsby. Very versatile group.

11. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Just expanded your icon. Heck yeah, cool guitars! I've been toying with the idea of a '72 thinline style partscaster. I may actually do it in the coming year. The BBv1 has really opened up what I can get from my PRS with SD 59's. It's great for tunes where I'd want more of a single-coil lead sound or more clarity for rhythm parts. Over the past few years or so I've been through all the obvious OD choices for good HB tone and had come to look at that particular guitar as a bit of a one trick pony. Connecting it with my old BB clone was kind of a happy accident. The SD-1 brings back the honk when I want it.

Having said all that, I'm a lot more comfortable on a strat or tele neck. The '72 thinline might be the best of both worlds for me.

12. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Thanks. It's the ultimate guitar style for me. I like the Fender scale and string spacing at the bridge, especially with 11s. Pair that up with some good buckets and life is good. The Phat Cats are really ready too. I tried a really expensive and authentic Wide Range (correct, threaded magnets and everything) and preferred the Seths and he Cats. Go figure. I didn't know about magnets at the time but both of those are Alnico 2 so maybe that just suits my style somehow.

The black one is the Thinline with the Bigsby. Insane feedback possibilities to be coaxed out of the hole, the unposted Seth and the wiggle bar. But honestly I'm a string through guy, and play those 90% of the time. Love the Gotoh bridge on the burst.

Partscasters all. We have a great shop here. So it's Allparts neck, MJT body, good hardware and pickups, and a killer build/setup (I mean, extraordinary), 2 for about the price of an AVRI. Good times.

13. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    The hardtail strat seen in my icon is routed for bridge and neck humbuckers. Maybe a new assembly is in order rather than a new guitar. I don't see that either the Cats or the Seths are available with F spacing. How do they line up with your F spaced bridges?

Speaking of bridges, the Rutters Burrito bridge pictured on the strat is a great replacement for a standard hardtail bridge. Really imparts more of a tele vibe and intonates beautifully.

14. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Duncan does make a trembucker (F) spaced Seth. They don't in the Cat but I think because of the different construction of the pickups the magnetic field seems wider and stronger so they all ring true.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

15. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Thanks. As I already have a PAF loaded guitar, I'm mainly interested in the 'Cats.

Sorry all for the de-rail.

16. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Ha - this thread isn't really about anything anyway. And finding the right amp/guitar/pickups helped me end my perpetual pedalathon. Who knew?

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Vaguely circling the topic, I'm currently off the dirt GAS, on the seth style pup hunt, and halfway through a dual P-90 hardtail Strat build.
    The pair of P-90s I bought are F spaced- out of a Classic Player Jazzmaster, and a pair can sometimes be found for less than the price of one P-90 or Phat Cat.
    Logistical problem to install though, as the neck position JM cover is wider than a Strat guard at the corner.
    They seem like totally legit P-90s and you could put a Gibson spaced HB size P-90 at the neck. They are very well made and vids I've seen sound promising.
    The HT Strat is a really lightweight one piece alder body I bought unfinished, but after routing for the JM pups and an oil finish I got impatient and dropped in a set of CS Strat pups from the parts drawer.
    Don't like those pups any better than in a roadworn trem body and now I'm planning to install some used Gibson '57 Classic pickups in one body or another, chasing logistics since they may soon go in a drawer or up for sale.
    Just want to hear them before installing them in my LP, but also want the possibility of a dual HB Fender since the LP is so damn Gibby.

So the CP JM P-90s are not the same as the J Mascis JM pups, which are not as good but sell for more $$.
    I've put an old P-90 in the bridge of a Strat before and it worked fine.
    More of an OCD issue with string alignment, but I'd say the CP JM pups are incredible deals if you wait for an auction.
    The CP JM is not usually bought for a LP Jr/ Spec sound, so the very nice pups get pulled and sold a lot. I paid like $38 for the pair.
    You could install them with no cover if desired.

Re GAS, I love my old 250 as much as any OD, and the only modern dirt that I've found does anything much better than the old stuff is the Suhr Shiba Drive.
    Other end of the spectrum smooth sustain. Can't really describe but not like anything else I know of in terms of highly processed smoothness without the loss of dynamics, and little grit or fizz.
    I also love the BB1, but it's not like a 250. ??

18. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    11 Gauge really likes the GFS Mean 90's which are HB size. They might be another way to go if you want to avoid routing.

19. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    So. Back to vintage single coils and really happy. BF/SF Fender reissues too.

I no longer have Dirt Pedal GAS, which is great. Not trying just to try. But back to the following in the arsenal

- Live: KTR (preamp) and SD-1 (leads)
    - Home: BD2 or OD3 (preamp) and Rat (leads).

The home differences are to simulate the live rig but without the volume or mix. Seems to work OK.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

20. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    My ever changing dirt trio at present...
    Timmy
    Ibanez Jet Driver
    Visual Sound Open Road
    (subject to change at a moment's notice) :oops:

MilwMark likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.