Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P. Dirt G.A.S.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MilwMark, Apr 28, 2014.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I finally found a deal I couldn't pass up on the "new" OD 250 RI. SMD is like the new goop for me but it does have a few more components on the board than an old one and quite a bit more volume. I'm guessing they've added a boost or recovery stage. The range of the gain pot seems about the same and it's got still got the tone and feel of a good 250.

I've been leaning hard on a modded SD-1 and a vintage Dist+ for a fuzzier drive. I think I'm gonna sub the 250 into the SD-1's slot next time out. Sure sounds good at home. Thanks to MilwMark for pointing this one out.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Glad to hear cousinpaul. The best part is to me the 250 is great at home but even better live. It is also amazing in its ability to meld with any amp and pickup I throw at it, maintain their character and nuance, but "better" or "more."

I do enjoy the Timmy at home as a liquid/compressed/sustain machine (it out-Dumbles the Dumble pedals in my view). But the 250 lives on my live board.

3. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I had a 250 that I put the Analogman gray mod into around the time the RI came out. That was a nice pedal too. I've got a Barber Small Fry for "D" tones on a different board that I use with my humbucking guitar. It does a lot of things well but I've been moving away from that sound. Strat or tele> the 5E3 Proluxe with a few simple pedals seems to be working for me now.

4. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    As a confirmed "K.I.S.S." guy I've been wondering about 2 channel pedals. Simpler way to replace the 250+Timmy setup. Tried a used Fulldrive - pretty good. So much level and so much brightness though (even in the "darker" - to me - non-Mosfet variety).

On a lark I tried the Truetone VS-X0. Seems like a violation of the K.I.S.S. rule because it's 2 channels plus a few sliders and extra knobs. But they are very intuitive and useful.

1. Noise floor - very low. Nice.
    2. Layout - very easy to grasp and use. Switches are really neat. Nice not to have to stomp so hard. In practice makes them "work" more like the Boss switches than standard TBP "buttons" (this is a good thing for me).
    3. Left side: sounds like a Nobels ODR-1 with the ability to trim Bass -REALLY NICE. "Always on". Super dynamic. Super faithful to the original tone. Just like the Nobels. But WAY, WAY, WAY better bypass (see below).
    4. Right side: sounds like a really nice, TS808 with the ability to select clipping. I like "C" best. AND the ability to tweak the bass cutoff. Great feature. AND the ability to dial in some of your clean tone. I tried this feature on the Sparkle Drive. Neat idea but the Sparkle Drive felt like the clean was layered on top of the dirty. This sounds and feels more integrated.
    5. Everything is tuned very well. I think they have "good ears" (which means - similar to mine).
    6. The buffer. Simply put, it's GREAT. Best I've used. I don't need fancy buffers. The Boss stuff is fine (Waza seems really nice). The Truetone buffer seems a bit more "natural" somehow. I assume it's a standard buffer and they've just figured out a way to get it unity gain and tuned the frequency response a bit? I hate the Klon buffer- makes all my pickups sound the same. Same with the Nobels buffer (to me) - when off makes pickups "samey" and also dull overall. Boss doesn't do that - hence I like Boss. But neither does Truetone. But somehow it's also tuned really well. I'd love to hear I'm all wet on that. I mostly think a buffer is a buffer is a buffer. But maybe I've been wrong on that? The Truetone one just seems really "good" in a way that is hard to verbalize. @11 Gauge? Keith? @cousinpaul? @waparker4? Others in the know?

So, I think it's a keeper. Excellent value too (something I don't normally say about nearly $200 pedals - but it is 2 pedals in one I guess). Kinda makes me want to try the Jeckyll & Hyde too. And that H2O. Hmmm...

As an aside, now that I'm no longer exclusively using one OD with the volume knob on my Teles for leads, I think I'm finally coming to understand that as a lead pedal, the TS is simply a brilliant combination. Cutting and smooth all at once. Singing sustain, harmonics and feedback. Vocal. Coming full circle I guess.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

5. sanfi4u

sanfi4u TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    My choice is VFE Distortion 3. It permits kind of mix MXR micro amp/MXR Dist+/DOD250, delivers tons of various sounds and features high quality build. Excellent pedal!

6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    If you're going to multi-pedals, why not go all the way? I often use a T Rex Soul Mate. TS style OD, Distortion, delay, reverb, clean boost AND a tuner all in one enclosure. What else would you need?

7. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    You know, it's funny. I considered those. Individual pedals end up easier for me to navigate. And with volume pedal, having a board which has the pedal on it ends up easier.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I just got the H2O. I agree about the footswitches. Thumbs up!

9. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    How do you like the delay? Anything it compares to?

10. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Well, yes, once you add another pedal of any kind, it sort of defeats the purpose. Once in a while I'll add an envelope follower in front or a tremolo in the back. Every time I do that I think I should just build a board.

11. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota

12. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN

13. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Got amp GAS. To ward off buying a Marshall, I grabbed the Ramble FX Marvel Drive v3. At least that's what I told myself.

Holy cow. It is unbelievably great. I briefly owned a Marshall 2061x head. I swear this pedal sounds and FEELS exactly like that amp, but with more gain on tap if I want. Cleanup is incredible. Decay is just right. Super versatile. low noise. Lots of headroom and level available. It is maybe the best dirt pedal I've ever plugged into. It wouldn't be my main drive, because it turns whatever you plug into right into a very convincing Marshall (maybe JTM 45 at the higher end of its gain range all the way through a modded Plexi, not quite JCM).

I'd be curious if @Jakedog ever tried it. Given that he's a Marshall aficionado and all. Marshall GAS cured.

Iago and RetroTeleRod like this.

14. TMoxness

TMoxness Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2006
    NB, Canada
    I'm pretty much set for OD pedals as well;

Gain Changer and Timmy always on my board.

Xotic SL Drive for when I need a Marshall sound from a super clean amp.

TelePrankster likes this.

15. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2016
    Rome
    I ended up with these, no more dirt pedals for me.
    Timmy (on my board)
    XTS Imperial
    Sick As
    Tumnus

16. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN

How does the Marvel Drive sound with the gain backed off? I bought a used Xotic SL Drive last year thinking I'd use it for some of the riff-driven tunes. I played it for a while and moved on. Just recently broke it out again and discovered how cool it sounds with the gain set low. It's a real TS killer and, best of all, doesn't sound boxy with the guitar's volume backed off. Who'd have thought?

waparker4 likes this.

17. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I'll keep that in mind. I do like Marshall tones. Just not enough to be locked into a Marshall amp, if that makes sense.

It sounds great with my guitar volume rolled off, or with the Master up on the pedal and the two Drives lower. It really is a very, very flexible pedal with the two drives. Just like a 4 hole Marshall I guess. More surprising to me is that I like it with the Master low (not many pedals do that well IMO).

18. teleaboutit

teleaboutit Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2014
    Waterloo, Ontario
    I'm getting to the stage of "terminal dirt" myself. The real kicker for me was realizing that of all the OD's I've owned and still own, the Boss SD-1 is probably on my board for good. The Walrus Audio Mayflower feels a bit silly sitting in its box but ya can't argue with results!

19. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Oh man. So now that I've used the Oranges at a few rehearsals and shows, I've realized that I don't really need any pedal clipping. They COMPRESS and clip so nicely. But I do like a pedal to help with impedance and maybe a gentle push. So back to the DOD Bifet. Amazing little bugger.

New board (hopefully final iteration):

OrangeBoard.jpg

But, in the final nail for my dirt restraint, my wife and kids got me the following for my birthday (all from Tone City):

- Black Tea (AC Tone)
    - Wildfire (Riot)
    - Golden Plexi (Plexitone)
    - Golden Horsie (Klon)
    - Dirty Martini (OCD - not sure which version)

They are all freaking fantastic. Nothing that would hit my gig board. But great fun for at home. I guess I'm back to rotating lead pedal for home fun. Can't exactly disappoint the family by returning them on principle, now can I. And when I make noises with them, I'm showing love and appreciation.

So, yeah. I now respectfully put away my soap box, which I will no longer be using to mount my high horse. I'm not chasing tone, exactly. But I'm not down to 2 dirt boxes, either.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

20. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Cool board...yes.:cool:
    Final iteration...Ha!;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.