Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

R.I.P. Dirt G.A.S.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MilwMark, Apr 28, 2014.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I have in my dirt arsenal:

- Klone
    - RAT
    - DOD 250 (TBP reissue)
    - Clinch-FX (not really dirt I guess)
    - OD-3
    - Galaxie BD-2
    - Timmy
    - Vintage LPB-1 (the kind you plug into the amp)
    - Nobels ODR-1 (reissue)

Live, I use the Klone. It's on my small boards (I have two boards and Klones, one for each band). For small gigs where I don't bring the board, I default to the BD2 if I'm bringing an amp (middy) or the RAT if it's a Fender backline. Sometimes the Timmy if I'm unsure of the room (more EQ options - but never if it's a Fender backline). In each case I run the amp until it is clipping a bit and then the OD is at unity. I keep the LPB-1 in my gig bag just in case of board failure - I'll have something to "sweeten" the amp and it really needs volume (in my view) to shine.

I exclusively use them as ODs (generally set low drive). The ones not used for gigging are for home practice at low volumes. Here again, at unity, but maybe the drive is run a bit higher to simulate the sustain and feel of a cooking amp.

Here's the thing. They all sound GREAT. They all feel GREAT. They all sound slightly different I guess, and feel slightly different. Some work a little better than others with certain amps (my small, solid state practice amp LOVES the OD-3 with the gain at about 1 o'clock - unheard of territory for me). But overall, to me most quality ODs are more similar than they are different (unless they have an overt EQ or compression characteristic - like the TS family - which I no longer have).

For some reason, I finally realized that none of the boutique flavors (or even vintage flavors) does it for me over any of these pedals. I try them, and don't even get a honeymoon anymore. And really it's like new pedal day relatively frequently, because I'll leave one on my practice amp for a few days/weeks, and then swap something else in. I feel like I don't use each of the above often enough as it is. But I can't bring myself to part with any of them (again - some I've owned two :oops: or even three :mad: times).

I love looking at pedals and reading about them, but I realized over the weekend that Dirt pedal G.A.S. finally died. Or maybe petered out - the Hollow Men style.

That is all.

Edit -

Feel free to razz me mercilessly when I post about a new dirt pedal, or when I buy one from one of you on a forum or the 'bay. Though at present I really don't see that happening.

kupasa and bloomz like this.

2. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2010
    Central Connecticut
    I've got amp gas which makes all other gas not possible.

3. EL Mike

EL Mike Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2014
    East coast of USA
    The worst GAS to have is Taco Bell GAS

Doug 54 likes this.

4. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I'm kind of leaning towards agreeing with OP. I've had Keeley DS-1, Keeley BD-2, Digitech Bad Monkey, Marshall Jackhammer, Boss OD2, BYOC British Blues, Lovepedal Amp50. I can pretty much dial in tones I like from all of them that are more similar than they are different.

I keep the BYOC because I built it, and the Lovepedal because it's small.

[​IMG]

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'm thinking my current trifecta of OD-3, Plimsoul and WF Rat will cover all my overdrive/dirt needs now and for the foreseeable future. (Gentlemen...start your razzers!) But seriously, this current lineup covers the following bases:
    OD-3 - always on for clean tone sweetener for mellower tones, especially yummy with Hall reverb.
    Plimsoul - With Sustain off and Volume at noon, a great low gain clean/barely overdriven Rockabilly tone when combined with single slap from DD-3 and a nice mid-emphasis od when used with Plate reverb.
    Rat - The od King when I really want to rawk!

Yes Rod...that's what you tell us today. :rolleyes:

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Get what you need.
    Burn the rest.
    Done.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

8. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    See. Looks very nice/useful. Clips sound good. Priced right (as an aside, all of their stuff seems surprisingly reasonable). Nice return policy. No G.A.S. Woo hoo!

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I just bought it. So now my GAS is dead! haha

10. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I pretty much buy on impulse, I've never really 'needed' anything, but they are just fun to play. I have more dirt that I can recite in one sitting and several dozen others, but pedal power is an evil siren.

I wonder how many people would admit/agree that most dirt pedals are more the same than different. When there are raves over subtle difference on a common pedal, I'm doing an eye roll. There is not much new under the sun, like Alfonso Hermida once said years ago, and you can get usable sounds out of quite a variety of pedals. Nothing wrong with having favorites, but I tend to prefer the stuff I build for myself which are only tuned variants of commercial pedals, just as most commercial pedals and variants of something already familiar.

To some degree, one has to get away from the advertisements and forums to separate the desires fueled by marketing vs. common sense, or at least from what we already know as truth. I recently got a Dover Drive on a whim, like any other pedal, and really enjoy it. I certainly don't need it. It's not a magic bullet, but I enjoy it all the same. Maybe I'll adopt a 1-in-1-out plan.

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    a rat and a toothbrush is all one needs really.

12. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    and maybe some duct tape! :lol:

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I think Rod is confusing his gigs with his dating routines... :lol:

14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    Step away from the Hamster. Now! :p

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I've got my tones covered now with the Blues Pro, the Vox 810 and an MHP Outlaw modded DS-1 ... but ... minor farts to try a few more out ... like a RAT, a MHP 72 Degrees and a Wampler Ace 30. No real GAS has surfaced yet though, more like rumbles in the tummy.

16. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    I have chronic gas for a Barber Gain Changer, it sounds sooo good in the prymaxe video. I'm trying to justify it to myself on the grounds that I can move on a couple of others as they will be superfluous. Hmm.

17. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    It's a great pedal. Truly. But in my G.A.S. days I tried it and quickly determined that it couldn't do anything (broad brush, to be sure) that my list above didn't already cover. Except that it could cover the (somewhat fine) distinctions between them in one enclosure.

But I'm not a tweaker by nature so I prefer simple boxes that do one thing well. Then I just use the amp controls + Tele controls to do the rest. And accept the limitations of that.

But if you are good at tweaking on the fly and want multiple standouts in one box, it would probably be a good fit.

18. Missipimud

Missipimud Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2011
    Vicksburg, MS
    I wish i had a dirt pedal called 'Tahko-Belle'. :p

19. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Only as a last resort!

20. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

What no Dumbloid? Not even a Zen?

The horror...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.