Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Quick question about Fender using older necks

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by LBUCKINGHAM, Sep 17, 2017.

1. LBUCKINGHAM

LBUCKINGHAM TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2017
    California
    Hi there, does anyone know if Fender would use say a '57 made neck on a '59 body. Or had too much time passed for that to be possible? Whats the biggest stretch in time you've seen between body and neck?

Thank you,
    Mason M.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    No personal experience but not uncommon from what Ive read of Fender history. Factory procedures and scheduling would have been an ever evolving work in progress in 57. Leo even used out of date/schematic revision tube stickers just to use them up. He was said to be very frugal as were most people in that post WWll era.
    Fenders did not get made one at a time, the neck guy would keeping going until the end of shift. Might be some leftover necks etc at the end of the week. They would get around to using them in due time. Same with all parts. Assembly was just grab a neck or pickup or body out of the rack and use it.
    I doubt very much if whatever dates Leo's crew used on parts were ever meant to used as anything other than shop ID. Just a happy coincidence we get to see dates and builders initials 60 years later:cool:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    LBUCKINGHAM likes this.

3. jazzmaster90150

jazzmaster90150 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2017
    NYC
    A two years difference seems a bit high to me. There is often a few months difference between neck and body dates.

LBUCKINGHAM likes this.

4. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Is it possible, yes. Is two years probable, not really - but it's really based on the individual piece at that point and other factors that would show it made sense. From original owner? I would believe it. Refin? Wouldn't think there's a chance

LBUCKINGHAM likes this.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    If we're talking about an actual guitar....is it possible one or the other was changed out way back when? In your example of a '57 neck and '59 body, could something have happened to a '57 guitar, and was sent to Fender in '59 and body was replaced? Just wonderin'.....

LBUCKINGHAM likes this.

6. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2013
    North Idaho
    For a 50's guitar it'd be highly unlikely IMHO. Never seen that kind of difference between dates on neck/body on 50's or 60's Fenders. Mid/late 70's is another story. I've seen all sorts of wildly different date codes on the later CBS stuff...

LBUCKINGHAM likes this.

7. LBUCKINGHAM

LBUCKINGHAM TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2017
    California
    Thank you for your reply's they've helped me out very much! Thats what I thought, 2 years is too far apart for a body and neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.