Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Quick question about bypass...

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by fenerfan1987, Aug 21, 2018.

1. fenerfan1987

fenerfan1987 TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Hey guys,

I tried searching for an answer to this question but wasn't able to find one.

My question is for a non true bypass pedal...do you get the same signal boosting benefit from the buffer even when the pedal is off?

Thanks so much!

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    If you're talking about Boss pedals, then yes... the buffer is in the signal path all the time.

Other pedals... who knows? There are so many different ways to wire a pedal. It's really misleading that we've reduced the whole discussion down to the binary selection of "true bypass" or "non-true bypass". There are pedals that are not true bypass, yet have no buffers... those are the worst, even though they are likely vintage-correct, but that's good, right? Gaaaaaah!

The whole subject has been oversimplified by the marketing yahoos, so that people can barely tell what's what. So, you really need to be specific about what pedal(s) you're talking about, and look into exactly how their signal chain is laid out.

3. fenerfan1987

fenerfan1987 TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Oh okay thanks that helps! The pedal is a Carl Martin Plexitone which does appear to have the buffer. Love this pedal with my tele btw...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.