Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Quick And Easy DIY SHO

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 11 Gauge, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rogueguineapig

rogueguineapig NEW MEMBER!

Feb 11, 2011
    Prescott, AZ
    thought I'd chime in...

there was some discussion about using one as an on-board guitar booster.
    I did one up just for that purpose....having some trouble with it though.
    I think I fried the BS170...typical. I've heard you can't even touch the legs...
    I'm not sure how to wire one up without frying it. Mine works with the pot all the way DOWN, but if you turn it up it cuts out.

Anyway, here's my layout and actual pic of it installed. I just desoldered the leads
    going to the output jack and stuck the circuit in there. It sounds good!
    [​IMG]

And RL actual pic:
    [​IMG]

hope this helps or inspires someone.

2. pinkphiloyd

pinkphiloyd TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ft. Smith Arkansas
    I've got three of these laying around that I built. Different packaging. They always sounded great. But all of a sudden, they seem to exhibit some "flub" in the upper bass, lower mids. It's all of them, so I figured it had to be something with my guitar or amp. But it's present with all of my guitars, and my amp sounds great until you kick the pedal on. Through the entire volume sweep. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Amp is a DC-30, btw.

3. ForumLurker84

ForumLurker84 NEW MEMBER!

Jun 30, 2011
    Akron, OH
    The HOW

11 Gauge, thanks for all of your informative posts. I'm really interested in learning how the SHO works.

From reading your posts, it seams that the crux of it is that the 5k pot serves as both a gain control and a bias adjustment....

Here's where my confusion starts:

1) Why is it "helpful" to adjust the bias with the gain? I thought that with biasing you just wanted to find the best bias for the transistor and just leave it there, regardless of the gain.

2) What is responsible for lowering the impedance of the circuit when the 5k pot is adjusted, is it the changing bias?

Thanks again for all of your helpful posts... it's really fun to be able to learn so much from a message board.

4. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    He won't be able to answer.
    Management turned the screws and chased him away.

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    He just posted yesterday... Gone again?

6. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Mar 2, 2011
    Reno
    Good stuff here. thanks for the information.

7. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    He did?
    :confused::confused:

8. stringman

stringman TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Manila
    Hi i'm trying this build. What are the alternative for the BS170? Thanks!

9. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2010
    NC
    Using the pic that 11 Gage put up on the first page, I have a few questions.

Everywhere that a line intersects means you need to connect the parts? Do I just use small lengths of wire? Can I run those parts into one hole in the perf board and solder it together?

To me this stuff is harder than building a guitar from scratch. :eek:

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Yes. The SHO is simple enough that it can be "represented" like that. Most pedal designs require both a schematic and some kind of actual circuitboard "layout." You don't need that with this one (I still think the current hand painted SHO's also still use perfboard).

Yes. A lot of folks just use the component leads themselves to connect everything. Resistor leads work really well since they are usually longer than capacitor or transistor leads.

Yeah, I understand that. It's like wiring up a pickup or tone control - they are "smaller scale tasks" that can be kind of aggravating and challenging.

If you go to some DIY sites, you can find tutorials on building with perfboard, veroboard, etc. There's at least one guy who builds all his stuff on turretboards just like the latest "fancy handbuilt amps." It's whatever is going to make you comfortable.

The only tool that I recommend to make things a bit easier is a "soldering station" that allows you to use a fine tip and adjust the temperature. But there are some good irons that are very similar. Some of these "stations" aren't as expensive as their names might imply. You could also use it for replacing pots/switches/pickups/etc. in guitars, or other "light hobbies."

I guess my whole thing with starting this thread was still to show that the SHO design is so simple and cheap that the "keep building another one until it finally works" principle is perfect for it. It's also the perfect way to get better at basic DIY skills in case you get the pedal building bug, and want to do some more complex projects.

I think it is how some folks end up building a zillion Rangemaster clones, because they are just a little more complicated (and the price is kind of high if someone else does the building).

I think I also mentioned that I think the SHO is actually one of those things that should be mounted in the guitar as opposed to hogging up space on a pedalboard. You could also adjust the boost in the middle of playing. That is why the Stratoblaster got as semi-popular as it did, but I think many folks will probably prefer the SHO (but that is just a guess).

11. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2010
    NC
    Thanks 11 Gauge.

12. chptunes

chptunes Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2010
    New York State
    [bump] .. was just googling easy diy projects.. found this thread. May tinker with the SHO circuit this weekend.

Great ideas and info throughout this thread.. thanks .11 and all.

13. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2009
    Poland
    What is the difference in sound between using 10M and 1M resistors? Is the difference significant and audible? Would it be a good idea to install switch to select from two sets of resistors (10Ms and 1Ms)? I mean no big pop while switching or something other really unwanted and sound choice.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

14. OK, so taking the above info, can all that be combined and integrated into making this some type of more versatile basic OD pedal?

15. simonallaway

simonallaway NEW MEMBER!

Mar 29, 2012
    Chesterton, IN USA

16. turnstylepoet

turnstylepoet TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Denver
    I've been wanting to build a SHO for quite a while now and thanks to this thread I finally built one. I also added a master volume so I could use the SHO as both a boost and an OD. It sounds great and I am pleased with how it looks.

[​IMG]

I'd like to build a Box of Rock (minus the boost) next and a Klone as well. I am thinking about boxing them up together as a dual OD. I'm planning on buying a PCB for the Klone and building the BOR on perfboard, like my SHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.