Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Quick And Easy DIY SHO

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 11 Gauge, Nov 11, 2008.

1. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    made a new board, hooked it up, and it works.
    Mustve been something dodgy on the board.

However, still no DC adaptor power :(

2. pinkphiloyd

pinkphiloyd TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ft. Smith Arkansas
    Hey, I've seen a lot of software for laying things out but I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff and I like the big, easily recognizable clean look of this. Anyway I can find out what was used to do this? I'd really, really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

3. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    Would it be possible to drill a second hole and mount a volume pot, then route the output from the gain pot (crackle-okay) to the input lug of the second pot (volume pot) before routing it to the output jack on the pedal?
    (You know...Instead of going from the perf-board to the output jack)

I don't know much about electronics and I'm just guesing...
    :confused:

4. Thighbanez

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    Whoops...missed this part...

5. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    Here's the Project page for MadBean Pedals. I just found their site and think they're pretty cool.

You want the Slambox, their SHO clone. Not quite "put tab A in slot B" instructions, but more than a circuit diagram. Their forum seems good.

Cheers...

6. Thighbanez

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    Wow, thank you so much for those links.
    I think I could create one but making one of those "PCB" boards seems hard.
    Would I have to learn how to "Etch" to use that site's directions?
    I took a look at the PDF and it doesn't say how to wire it all up with the regular project board with just holes like they sell at radio-shack.

Or is that why the directions cost $4.00...
    I'm hoping they give you the "step by step" directions when you buy the $4.00 directions.

EDIT:(sometimes reading this board and wiring my guitar innards up makes me feel great...but when it comes to stuff like this I feel like a totally lost idiot)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

7. Vivi

Vivi Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2009
    Clemson, SC
    I just got done building a Dirty Little Secret/SHO using the layouts from Madbean's site. I used a piece of perfboard from RadioShack and just bent the leads of the components so that they mimicked the traces on the actual PCB. And while it certainly isn't the way I'm going to do it the next time I build a pedal without a PCB, overall I'd say it worked just fine.

8. Thighbanez

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    Ah kewl!
    Okay, I'm going to see if I can do it too.

Radio Shack Parts List:

1 Project box (plastic)
    1 Radio shack Perf-Board pack
    2 1/4 audio jacks (Stereo Input and mono output)
    1 100n capacitor
    1 10u capacitor
    2 1N4148/1N914 diodes
    2 1M resistors
    1 22K resistor
    1 100K resistor
    1 IRF510 transistor
    1 20/25K pot (gain knob)
    1 100k audio taper pot (volume knob)
    1 3PDT switch
    1 2.1 mm, tip-negative, 9 volt ac input jack

Is that all correct?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

9. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    The $4 buys you the ready-to-solder PCB. As for putting it all together (with switch, jacks battery, etc...) the forum has general wiring diagrams for that kind of stuff, which is mostly the same for all pedals. Where there are exceptions, the free PDFs feature full enclosure wiring diagrams.

Good luck!

10. Meowy

Meowy Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2008
    NY
    Quick question

Why doesn't the SHO use a bypass cap on the FET source?

I know this would provide even more gain, but is there a trade off? Loss of clarity?

11. 68Bandmaster

68Bandmaster TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Minnesota
    bump for a question to all you sho experts :)

I've built a few of these buggers now and switched up some of the circuit each time. Build 1 was stock to Vex specs. Build 2 I used 1M voltage deviders, a 2N7000, 22K at drain and 25K pot (per .11Gauge).

This 3rd one I just finished for a friend uses a 5K value at drain and a 10K pot...using a BS170 tranny. I also added an RC filter at the output as a "tone" (high cut) knob: 195ohm fixed resistor in series with a 10K pot to a .047uF cap to ground. 2 observations: The "crackle" pot doesn't get to unity gain until about 3/4...and then there is very little clean boost that happens. Is this because of the tone shaping or some other value I've used?

The initial build seemed to have much more volume and range with clean boost into overdrive; this one just seems to be lifeless and then overdrive for the last 20% of the pot. Any thoughts?

12. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    I am glad you bumped this because I have been thinking about doing this build but #1. I have never built my own pedal before and I think I could get all the parts in the right place, but I have never read schematics before and not sure about if I just solder everyting in or if I have to add jumpers from piece to piece.#2 I am very comfortable with soldering it is figuring out what I have to solder and where that is my problem. Can anybody help me out on where exactly to put everything how exactly to do it right. I am VERY interested in doing this so any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    You really don't need it. It's one of the benefits of mosFET's over jFET's or BJT's.

When people use them for DIY projects like the Box of Rock (3 SHO's in a row), the common complaint is that the pedal sounds kind of muddy and flubby.

Not only are the source bypass caps not needed, but you can generally shrink the size of your input, output, and coupling caps too. It REALLY does wonders with a Box of Rock kind of build, IMO.

If you routinely use your SHO as more of an OD than just a boost, cutting down the input cap to around a .022uF and the output cap to .1uF will tighten it up a bunch. You can also cut the pair of 1 meg resistors (if you use that value) down to 680K or so to make the input impedance a little more mellow.

14. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm out of 5k1 resistors but I have plenty 4k7s. What would happen if I used the 4K7 instead?

15. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    The transistor may not bias up correctly. The circuit is so crude that you literally have equal resistance on both "ends" of the transistor. IOW, you would have to make sure that your pot was never set much above 4K.

...The lower down you get with your pot value, the less "bias range" that you have to work with. It's why I suggest a 10K resistor w/a 10K pot, 22K resistor with a 20K/25K pot, etc. - you get more "wiggle room."

Another idea would be to simply put a 3.3K resistor in series with a 4.7K to give you more of that wiggle room. It doesn't have to be exactly 5.1K - it just needs to be a bit over 5K if that is the value of your "crackle okay" pot.

16. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    does anybody have a picture of the bottom side of this build so I could see what needs to be solderd together and what not..

17. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Do yourself a favor and go here if you're worried about wiring it up correctly:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

You want the Slambox circuitboard for the SHO, or the Firebomb for the Super Duper. At $4 or $8 for a circuitboard that is all laid out and drilled, it couldn't be made any easier. There is a PDF for each booster/project that you can download too, that should help you with getting all the parts in the right spots.

There's also the Fat Boost (Spackler) or EP Booster (Fatpants) if someone wants something that is just a bit more complicated than the SHO. I figure that all of those boosts are so simple circuitwise that a $4 to $8 board that is ready to drop the parts on is probably the way to go for people who are brand new to building these things. No affil with Mad Bean, but Brian is a really cool guy, IMO.

18. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Thank you I appreciate it and will do just that...

19. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the explanation. For the sake of using fewer parts, you mentioned earlier replacing the two diodes with one LED. After going over your link to the Multi-Face, it looks to me like the single LED would go in: with the negative side connected between the input capacitor and the Transistor, and the positive side attached to ground. Is this correct?

Also, does the size of the LED matter? 5mm vs. 3mm?

20. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Yep - a LED is just as good as a Zener diode to protect the mosFET from pooching. Any size is fine. What is more important is that the diode can sufficiently handle the spike at the nominal rates that do damage. So you can stack those silicons, use a Zener, use a LED, get mosFET's that are internally protected, or just socket the transistor and replace it if it blows out. They are all cheap parts, so it's really a matter of whatever you might have available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.